JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2 hours ago, rocket said:

Either we (Mods) have lost the ability to see who has viewed a thread with the latest update or I can't find it.

The author of the plugin we were using seems to have disappeared and no longer supports it, and it's not compatible with IPS 4.5. However, someone else has written an almost identical plugin and is charging $15. I will snag it up as soon as I have the time to play around some more.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

10 hours ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

Spent my Sunday completely rewriting the JWTalk theme and the "Dark Mode" theme from scratch. Welcome to the new look.

Bravo!!!

Lovin' the new look.💜👍😁

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

11 hours ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

No, not as in a user selected option.

Interestingly, as I was looking at threads this morning, not all of them have this box. Not sure what the difference was unless it was because they did not have enough comments to generate the stats the box displays ...

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

21 hours ago, Qapla said:

Interestingly, as I was looking at threads this morning, not all of them have this box. Not sure what the difference was unless it was because they did not have enough comments to generate the stats the box displays ...

Probably. On other topics, I could see it being useful. On this one though, the 'changelog', not so much ::P

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I found a bug with the new CSS. In the code, .ipsColumns is defined with display: table; when the width is greater than 767px, and display: block; when less than 767px. But when less than 767px, it's applied with @media screen tag, not @media all tag.

This means when you save the page as PDF or try to print the web page, the view of the page gets messed up.

I noticed all of the tags in the CSS in this web site uses @media screen, not @media all. However I believe there are no reason to use @media screen. This was superseded by @media or @media all, as @media screen is only used in very specific situations. See W3C specifications on media queries: https://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/media.html

So I might try suggest to change all @media screen to @media all. @media all already contains the feature of @media screen, so I would not think it will break stuff, but just add compatibility to other devides as well.

Buggy codes:

@media screen and (max-width: 767px)
.ipsColumns.ipsColumns_collapseTablet:not( .ipsHide ), .ipsColumns.ipsColumns_collapsePhone:not( .ipsHide ) {
    width: auto;
    display: block;
    padding-right: 0;
}
.ipsColumns {
    width: 100%;
    display: table;
    table-layout: fixed;
    border-collapse: collapse;
    border-spacing: 0;
}

Demonstration of the bug:

ipjwtcssb01.jpg.2a0b77ba6680de4fb67b5f8f2b90b78f.jpg

Changed codes:

@media all and (max-width: 767px)
.ipsColumns.ipsColumns_collapseTablet:not( .ipsHide ), .ipsColumns.ipsColumns_collapsePhone:not( .ipsHide ) {
    width: auto;
    display: block;
    padding-right: 0;
}
.ipsColumns {
    width: 100%;
    display: table;
    table-layout: fixed;
    border-collapse: collapse;
    border-spacing: 0;
}

Demonstration of the fix: (Third party plugin was used.)

ipjwtcssb02.thumb.jpg.18dc5684c56b9a0ce5acb769677bec3e.jpg

Notice the @media screen is changed into @media all.

Edited by Hinata

Is there an easier way to read a Status Update without having to go to the posters Profile and scroll down through all their information to get to it?

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

On 3/9/2021 at 11:25 AM, Dove said:

Is there an easier way to read a Status Update without having to go to the posters Profile and scroll down through all their information to get to it?

Sounds like you're on a mobile phone. I agree that this can be annoying. I will suggest it to the developers.

On 3/9/2021 at 11:25 AM, Dove said:

35 minutes ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

Sounds like you're on a mobile phone. I agree that this can be annoying. I will suggest it to the developers.

Nevermind. I didn't have to suggest it to the devs. I was able to swap the left sidebar with the main content, so that the main content comes first and the sidebar information is on the right. So on mobile, the Status Update will be at the top of the page, before all the information, instead of after. It was an easy fix.

1 minute ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

Nevermind. I didn't have to suggest it to the devs. I was able to swap the left sidebar with the main content, so that the main content comes first and the sidebar information is on the right. So on mobile, the Status Update will be at the top of the page, before all the information, instead of after. It was an easy fix.

I'm sorry but I don't understand any of what you said, and also, it is my desktop Windows 10. Thank you...

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

2 minutes ago, Dove said:

I'm sorry but I don't understand any of what you said, and also, it is my desktop Windows 10. Thank you...

Well then I don't understand what you are saying. Status updates have always the first thing on a person's profile page in the main content area, with the sidebar on the left. On mobile devices, this means scrolling past all the sidebar information before getting to the main content and status update. Now that I swapped the order, the sidebar appears on the right on a PC and after the status update and main content which now appears at the top.

No word yet on an option to "hide" the box on the right hand side of a thread

image.thumb.png.3d23edf0648b890601f4ddff3486dfc7.png

So the posts extend all the way across the page like they used to instead of looking like this when you get below the box - With that large empty space on the right?

image.thumb.png.a40564163fd5715fcd14e551953ba274.png

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On 3/9/2021 at 5:25 PM, Dove said:

Sandra, we are not understanding what the issue is.

Can you please tell us step by step what you do to read a status update? Or send a picture of the screen to carlos@jwtalk.net?

Edited by carlos

On 3/9/2021 at 8:25 AM, Dove said:

Try going to the home page and scroll down to the bottom. I can see all of the recent status updates there on my phone.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

11 hours ago, Qapla said:

No word yet on an option to "hide" the box on the right hand side of a thread

Nope, and you're not going to get one :)

6 hours ago, carlos said:

Sandra, we are not understanding what the issue is.

Can you please tell us step by step what you do to read a status update? Or send a picture of the screen to carlos@jwtalk.net?

I'm sorry Carlos, I don't know how to explain it any different than I did, and it even took me a while to figure that out. I guess I must be the only one that ever did it that way if no one understands it. 

When someone posted a status update I didn't know where to add a reaction or a comment, so I went to their profile. When there I had to scroll through their personal information about how they came into the Truth and that page we all know about. Then at the very bottom was where I saw their status posts. Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

I just tried Brother Tortuga's suggestion to go to the bottom of the Home screen to see them there so I guess that is the way to do it. 

Also, I thought it used to be that status updates were only visible to those who were following that one; is that still the same?

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Try going to the home page and scroll down to the bottom. I can see all of the recent status updates there on my phone.

Yes, I tried that and it is much easier and faster. Has that always been there?

Edited by Dove

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

It also works on my desktop computer..I didn't know that was there..🙃

Oh, yes. I couldn't find it at first and then realized it was because I had the page so enlarged it didn't show up. But as soon as I minimized the screen it was there.

Thank you for that....🙂

10 hours ago, Dove said:

When someone posted a status update I didn't know where to add a reaction or a comment, so I went to their profile. When there I had to scroll through their personal information about how they came into the Truth and that page we all know about. Then at the very bottom was where I saw their status posts. Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

Yes, on mobile. Because the personal information (left on pc, top on mobile) came before the activity information (right on pc, bottom on mobile). But, I switched them so now the activity, including Status Updates, should come first, with all the personal info coming second.

10 hours ago, Dove said:

Oh, yes. I couldn't find it at first and then realized it was because I had the page so enlarged it didn't show up. But as soon as I minimized the screen it was there.

Enlarging the view on PC will eventually trigger the mobile view. The same thing happens when you take your mouse and shrink the width of the window. 

10 hours ago, Dove said:

Also, I thought it used to be that status updates were only visible to those who were following that one; is that still the same?

Status Updates and replies have always been visible to anyone on the world wide web, including unregistered guests.

• 1 month later...

I see another "bug" that started to show up when the up-arrow button was added. That button, on the bottom right of the browser window, takes you to the top of the page.

2021495066_GotoTop.PNG.03029b69a67bb2a5e49ea722387b29e0.PNG

Are we with me so far? We'll come back to this up-arrow button further down.

But now, here's a scenario: You are thinking of composing a post, quoting a couple of previous posts. So you examine a couple of posts you want to quote, and you click the plus sign symbol at the bottom of each one you want.

Plus.PNG.666dad6de8e54a7a14f52d1d2e8fa725.PNG

And, hence, you have a symbol appear at the bottom saying you have x number of quoted posts to add to your post.

Quote2.PNG.9e4c5d602310a5974c48ce12dcc2744a.PNG

However, then you decide at the last minute that it's not a good idea to quote those posts and you want to scrap them. So you try to click the x next to it to delete them.

Here's where the problem comes in. If you try to click the x, it doesn't delete your quoted posts, but instead takes you to the top of the page! That's because the x in the quote box appears exactly on top of that up-arrow button that takes you to the top of the page. But that's not what you want! Now you're at the top of the page, that up-arrow button is no longer visible, and those quoted posts can now be deleted.

Well, if you just wanted to back out and go on to another topic, going back to the top of the page doesn't really matter. But if all you wanted to do is to scrap the quoted posts and type something else instead, you're in the wrong place and have to scroll back to the bottom. That can be a bit frustrating.

But… it's not a big deal.