JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

15 hours ago, Bro Richard said:

Bob does all the work, his 12 disciples just watch...👍🏻

I'm still only part of the thinktank. I can be outvoted and leave with my ears down and my tail between my legs.

angry bad dog GIF

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

JWTalk 20.4.21

No software upgrades, but some Administrator changes that we deliberated on together...

1. Changed the site favicon due to a copyright issue (see this post)
  2. Redacted the name change "Health Issues -  Comfort, Support, Consolation, & Recovery"
  3. Updated the Comfort & Support forum description with some minor changes
  4. Updated the Bible Research & Personal Study forum description (see this post)
  5. Reworded the language used in the footer (see this post)

More on this here:

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

• 10 months later...

So we just installed a major software update. There's a few things missing and broken yet, which I'll get to after work tomorrow. I'll also post the changelog then as well.

Thanks Bob, don't feel pressure ...do your stuff whenever convenient .., thanks for your work, we all appreciate this a lot. 

Sometimes more then you can imagine.

For some brothers and sisters this forum is a lifeline of support and encouragement. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

4 hours ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

So we just installed a major software update. There's a few things missing and broken yet, which I'll get to after work tomorrow. I'll also post the changelog then as well.

It would be sooo nice if instead of blinding white, the upgrade had an extremely light grey tinge as the background color  :praying:

4 minutes ago, M.J. said:

It would be sooo nice if instead of blinding white, the upgrade had an extremely light grey tinge as the background color  :praying:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dark-reader/eimadpbcbfnmbkopoojfekhnkhdbieeh

allows you to step up easily this kind of behaviour

1 hour ago, M.J. said:

Don't worry, it will be fixed.

Every time there is a major update there are lots of things that stop working and need fixed. There are lots of customizations and additional software on the site and many of those need tweaked. Bob applied the update last night and was working until late fixing things. He will resume it today or tomorrow, when he has a chance. In a few days everything will be back to normal. :)

4 hours ago, carlos said:

. . . In a few days everything will be back to normal. :)

You mean, the update will disappear and no one will know any changes were made?

Um... someone mentioned this in a status update... how do you get rid of that wide column at the right side of some of the topics? ---->

Edited by Sheep

2 hours ago, Sheep said:

You mean, the update will disappear and no one will know any changes were made?

Yes, that's more or less the idea. Occasionally some add-ons stop working for good, but in most cases everything is restored.

2 hours ago, Sheep said:

Um... someone mentioned this in a status update... how do you get rid of that wide column at the right side of some of the topics? ---->

Lucy mentioned that before and it was in the to-do list. I don't see it, so I thought that was fixed already. But it will surely be fixed, nevermind.

JWTalk 21.2.21

What's new?

New Front-End Design

The following list of changes will most likely bore you to tears, but we select certain ones that may interest our more techie members or that may have had an impact on your JWTalk experience.

Deprecations

• We will no longer address any issues specific to Internet Explorer 11 and below and will not ensure compatibility with those versions.
  • BBCode parsing - upgrading users will be asked during upgrade if they wish to retain BBCode parsing support, while new installations will have the option off by default. BBCode parsing may be removed entirely in a future release. <-- JWTalk.net has chosen to retain BBCode parsing support at this time, although nobody should really be using BBCode anymore.

Security Enhancements

• Improved password strength checks to detect password values set identically to the account username or email address and to consider them weak.
  • Improved email change process to invalidate any pending password reset requests.
  • Fixed user not being prompted for two-factor authentication when signing in from a new device.
  • Limited password inputs to 72 characters max to reduce the chance of a malicious user forcing unnecessary computationally expensive operations on the server.

New features / changes...

Core

• Added new activity feed and twitter feed widgets
  • Added new view modes, enhanced existing and added more functionality to topic view.
  • Added the ability to only show a preview of new private message / new content email notifications to stimulate re-engagement back to the community.
  • Added the ability to have TikTok links become embeddable in an editor.
  • Added the ability to select from stock photos when uploading images.
  • Added support for Sign in with Apple.
  • Added support for version 4 of the bit.ly link shortening API.
  • Added the ability for Club Owners and Leaders to create and manage static pages within their clubs.
  • Added the ability to show content messages only to staff members (moderators).
  • Added a list of members who reacted to content in the tooltip when hovering on the reaction icon.
  • Added support for non-English searches in Giphy when the site is using a language Giphy supports.
  • Added additional static-type links to the sitemap file.
  • Added the ability to create custom phrases within the language system.
  • Added the ability for Club Owners and Leaders to manage the visibility of the members page.
  • Improved performance of several areas of the software.
  • Improved performance of thumbnail generation.
  • Added a setting that determines which comment you see first when opening an item.
  • Added the ability for administrators to force users to reset their passwords.
  • Added pending club invites to the club directory sidebar.
  • Added the ability for members to cancel club join requests.
  • Added the ability to include club content to widgets.
  • Added the ability to include/exclude widgets in clubs.
  • Added search term tracking and a statistics page to monitor search term usage.
  • Added a friendlier error message when uploads fail due to a server problem.
  • Added current percentage completed to progress bars.
  • Added ability for club leaders to specify rules for a club, and force members to acknowledge them.
  • Removed the ability to import profile photos from a remote URL to improve security.
  • Removed the image proxy feature to improve security.
  • Removed Digg and Delicious share links.
  • Improved display name availability check when name contains multiple concurrent spaces.
  • Improved randomization for widgets that order by "random".
  • Improved host detection for guest page caching.
  • Minor styling updates for embeds.
  • Long quotes will now automatically truncate with a "Read more" link to expand the quote to improve usability when long quotes are used.
  • Upgraded CKEditor to 4.14.1.
  • Flagging a member as a spammer will now remove any profile cover photo they may have uploaded.
  • The clubs map now centers around available clubs rather than showing a whole world view.
  • Changed the redirect targets from clubs, to redirect to a club feature after the feature creation and when a member joins a club.
  • Changed the content deletion process so that reports related to the content are no longer deleted.
  • Search result snippets are now truncated on the server before being served to the browser to increase efficiency.
  • Tags are now shown in search results/streams on mobile devices.
  • Updated the URL used for Twitter oEmbed requests.
  • Added support for converting words to links as well as acronyms in posting settings.
  • Adjusted Easy Mode theme editor to remove support for gradients and simplify the user interface. Added support for 'invert' to easily create dark themes.
  • Fixed an issue where admin-validated post-before-register accounts would not trigger follow notifications to be sent.
  • Fixed public club content not showing in streams and searches for guests.
  • Fixed an issue where choosing to move club content while deleting a club resulted in that content being deleted instead of being moved.
  • Fixed an issue where groups could not be configured to allow reporting of personal conversations.
  • Fixed an issue where it was possible to bypass profanity filters when using quick title edit.
  • Fixed an issue where it was not possible to comment on a reported status update.
  • Fixed an issue where it was not possible to move club content to other clubs when deleting sections.
  • Fixed an issue with certain embeds (such as Spotify) in certain environments.
  • Updated HTMLPurifier to 4.12.0.
  • Removed the ability for an administrator to override a user's time zone.
  • Fixed an issue where multiple YouTube embeds in an editor could lead to the editor wrapper overflowing its bounds.
  • Fixed potentially being sent to a random page when splitting comments from one content item to another content item.
  • Fixed an issue where clubs may reflect an incorrect last activity date.
  • Fixed an issue where signature options would still show when ignoring users even with signatures disabled.
  • Fixed an issue where members could be informed they were on mod queue because of a warning that had already expired.
  • Fixed Twitch embeds broken following an update on Twitch.tv.
  • Fixed some outdated phrasing when unsubscribing from emails.
  • Fixed an inability to edit a post containing a badly embedded quote.
  • Fixed an issue where validating members showed in search results.
  • Fixed an issue where newly created club icons do not show when editing.
  • Fixed mobile Twitter links not automatically embedding.
  • Fixed an issue where hovercards may sometimes display partially off-screen.

Calendar

• Fixed an issue where event reminders would still send for the original date if an event is edited.
  • Fixed an issue where the "repeat until" end date, if specified, may not reflect the correct date after saving the event.
  • Fixed an issue where creating a recurring even could fail.
  • Fixed an issue where reminders could be sent for events no longer viewable.
  • Fixed an issue with some events showing up incorrectly on the day after they occur, in addition to the correct date.
  • Fixed importing iCal files failing in some cases.

Forums

• Added ability for Forums created within Clubs to be set so that users can only see the topics they posted (e.g. for a support forum).
  • Added an option to mark an individual topic to require moderation for new posts.
  • Fixed an issue where topics in forums with "Users can view other user's topics" disabled may still see those topics in feed blocks from the forum.
  • Fixed an issue where moved topics may result in the original forum showing as unread indefinitely if a link is left to the new location.

Gallery

• Fixed videos not playing inline when embedded in content.
  • Fixed follow notifications being sent when a member being followed submits images to Gallery despite no notification method being set for following a member.

Downloads

• Fixed an issue where Downloads files inserted into editors using "Insert other media" would display "Unavailable" below the filename, instead of the size and download count.
  • Fixed a potential layout issue when editing a file that has screenshots.
  • Fixed an issue where unapproved files could show in latest file info.
  • Fixed an issue where moderators would not be notified of new versions requiring approval.

Blog

• Added the ability to categorize Blogs and Blog Entries.

14 hours ago, M.J. said:

12 hours ago, carlos said:

Don't worry, it will be fixed.

Every time there is a major update there are lots of things that stop working and need fixed.

The current color scheme should be exactly what it was before last night. I've tried to re-create everything to match the way it has been for the last couple years.

8 hours ago, Sheep said:

I can't seem to disable it like some of the other widgets that are available to place in the sidebar.

1 hour ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

The current color scheme should be exactly what it was before last night. I've tried to re-create everything to match the way it has been for the last couple years.

Everything on my screen still looks bright white and hasn't gone back to before. I logged out and in, still the same. 

46 minutes ago, M.J. said:

Everything on my screen still looks bright white and hasn't gone back to before. I logged out and in, still the same. 

Go to the bottom of this page, click the "Theme" pull-down menu. Select dark mode and voilà! :)

Edited by Omoyeme

5 hours ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

The current color scheme should be exactly what it was before last night.

The color of the text in these menu buttons used to be easier to read

image.png.baa3bb841d5c6218f58ae1102d321463.png

And, the edit controls in "Dark Mode" were easier to see

image.png.c09197d29bd23ea1d8cad230a6aeb52d.png

Not to mention that the posts no longer reach both borders :( 

Not sure I like the editing link in the "more options" location under the three dots on the right

image.png.f0e4739a8d815f22f078d27d81ceb714.png

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~