JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

• 3 months later...

JWTalk 22.10.28

Key Changes:

1. Improved search bar UI.
  2. New ability for topics to be published on a future date.
  3. Added Rank Progression Chart to AdminCP Statistics
  4. Improvements to marking posts as solutions
  5. Updates to the Calendar App (now Events app) to showcase online and offline events

Other changes:

• Added an account settings link to the user profile.
  • Added an option for members to disable new device emails.
  • Upgraded server to PHP 8.1
  • Improved UX of the search bar.
  • Mentions when posting a comment will now prioritize previous participants.
  • Fixed an HTML validation error for embeds.
  • Fixed an issue where private messages that the user could view may show in trending content.
  • Fixed an issue where a content awaiting approval notifications will be sent to moderators that not have access to view that content.
  • Fixed an issue where uploading large files may cause a javascript console error.
  • Fixed an issue where uploaded wav files may not play back correctly in Safari.
  • Fixed the breadcrumb not showing when there is only one category and one forum, and that forum contains sub-forums.
  • Fixed an issue where forum error pages were not using the specified theme if one has been chosen.
  • Added ACP Tool to scan all hooks to identify PHP8 fatal errors related to method overloading.
  • Fixed an issue where members following an item may not be following the remaining item after a merge.
  • Updated CKEditor to 4.19.1.
  • Fixed an issue where soft deleted items can appear in recommended posts.
  • Added multiple improvements to "Mark as solution" including a re-engagement email, new UI to prompt authors to mark a reply as the solution and new stats.
  • Content that requires approval will now show the reason it moderated.
  • Fixed an issue where duplicate Who's Viewing boxes are displayed.
  • Fixed an issue where the related content sidebar block may not correctly account for permissions.
  • Fixed an issue where the editor would get stuck after a guest post.
  • Fixed an issue where forum specific moderators received notification of reported content outside those forums.
  • Fixed an issue where forum specific moderators could see reports for forums they do not moderate.
  • Removed ability to show member birthdays on the Calendar/Events App
  • Removed "Go To Top" 3rd party plugin, as this was the cause of the upgrade failure.
  • Removed "Post Numbers"

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

45 minutes ago, Brother_Bliss said:

JWTalk 22.10.28

Key Changes:

1. Improved search bar UI.
  2. New ability for topics to be published on a future date.
  3. Added Rank Progression Chart to AdminCP Statistics
  4. Improvements to marking posts as solutions
  5. Updates to the Calendar App (now Events app) to showcase online and offline events

Other changes:

• Added an account settings link to the user profile.
  • Added an option for members to disable new device emails.
  • Upgraded server to PHP 8.1
  • Improved UX of the search bar.
  • Mentions when posting a comment will now prioritize previous participants.
  • Fixed an HTML validation error for embeds.
  • Fixed an issue where private messages that the user could view may show in trending content.
  • Fixed an issue where a content awaiting approval notifications will be sent to moderators that not have access to view that content.
  • Fixed an issue where uploading large files may cause a javascript console error.
  • Fixed an issue where uploaded wav files may not play back correctly in Safari.
  • Fixed the breadcrumb not showing when there is only one category and one forum, and that forum contains sub-forums.
  • Fixed an issue where forum error pages were not using the specified theme if one has been chosen.
  • Added ACP Tool to scan all hooks to identify PHP8 fatal errors related to method overloading.
  • Fixed an issue where members following an item may not be following the remaining item after a merge.
  • Updated CKEditor to 4.19.1.
  • Fixed an issue where soft deleted items can appear in recommended posts.
  • Added multiple improvements to "Mark as solution" including a re-engagement email, new UI to prompt authors to mark a reply as the solution and new stats.
  • Content that requires approval will now show the reason it moderated.
  • Fixed an issue where duplicate Who's Viewing boxes are displayed.
  • Fixed an issue where the related content sidebar block may not correctly account for permissions.
  • Fixed an issue where the editor would get stuck after a guest post.
  • Fixed an issue where forum specific moderators received notification of reported content outside those forums.
  • Fixed an issue where forum specific moderators could see reports for forums they do not moderate.
  • Removed ability to show member birthdays on the Calendar/Events App
  • Removed "Go To Top" 3rd party plugin, as this was the cause of the upgrade failure.
  • Removed "Post Numbers"

Thank you brother Robert for the update, it is appreciated. What a list 👏.

45 minutes ago, Brother_Bliss said:

Removed "Post Numbers"

I have to say, I really do miss this feature.😪 It brought structure to the threads, and made it easy to refer back to a specific post. Hope a future update will include post numbers again. (Unless this update, or a future one, has an even better system to refer back to old or previous posts.)

Edited by Br. Ice

53 minutes ago, Brother_Bliss said:

New ability for topics to be published on a future date.

Does this mean the WT Study topics can be scheduled to posted and Carlos doesn't have to fire you? 😁

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Brother_Bliss said:

Removed "Post Numbers"

1 hour ago, Br. Ice said:

I have to say, I really do miss this feature.😪 It brought structure to the threads, and made it easy to refer back to a specific post.

Yes - how do we point to a specific post without post numbers or the "copy link" that went with them?

I use this feature in my calendar posts :shrugs: 

Speaking of the calendar ... it looks a bit "different" than it used to

GIF by MOODMANimage.png.c7fe72cf63ebb88663487ff4546b08f8.png

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Removed "Go To Top" 3rd party plugin, as this was the cause of the upgrade failure

I'm going to miss that...:cry:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 hours ago, jwhess said:

I can use the <HOME> button to do the job.

Thanks for the tip, Brother John. I think after the upgrade earlier on, that well loved short cut disappeared

Alas I don't have the 'Home' key on my laptop. Meanwhile my PC is in sickbay. There should be one on the PC

Edited by Imagine

10 hours ago, Qapla said:

Yes - how do we point to a specific post without post numbers or the "copy link" that went with them?

@Qapla The post number functionality was provided by an add-on that is purchased separately from the software and that is no longer working (for now) in this updated version.

Until this is solved, it's still possible to link to a specific post by right-clicking on the grey text that says "Posted XX hours ago", then selecting "copy link".

For example, in the post above this one:

link.jpg

6 minutes ago, carlos said:

Until this is solved, it's still possible to link to a specific post by right-clicking on the grey text that says "Posted XX hours ago", then selecting "copy link".

Oh My God Wow GIF

I was not aware of that - Thanks Carlos

Game Show Thank You GIF by Kinda Funny

You can also click the 3 dot menu on the top right of the post and choose "Share" in the menu. This will let you copy the link. 

Post Numbers isn't part of the core software. It's a 3rd party plugin. When 3rd party plugins aren't compatible with future upgrades, it breaks the site. I got locked out after last night's upgrade. I had to spend hours trying to get back in, and figure out which application/plugin was the culprit. 

A Post Numbers feature can still be installed. I personally don't like it because if Quapla refers to post #100, but there are 15 hidden posts in that topic, what he sees and refers to as #100 appears to the staff as #115. 

In other words, posts don't really have post numbers. The plugin is basically a post counter. 

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

5 minutes ago, Brother_Bliss said:

You can also click the 3 dot menu on the top right of the post and choose "Share" in the menu. This will let you copy the link. 

Post Numbers isn't part of the core software. It's a 3rd party plugin.  ... A Post Numbers feature can still be installed. I personally don't like it because if Qapla refers to post #100, but there are 15 hidden posts in that topic, what he sees and refers to as #100 appears to the staff as #115. 

In other words, posts don't really have post numbers.

As long as there is a way to get/copy the link to individual posts, I am fine without the post numbers - now I know two ways to get that link :thumbsup:

As a side point:

7 minutes ago, Brother_Bliss said:

if Quapla refers to post

Season 16 Oops GIF by America's Got TalentBe Careful No GIF by Manchester United

There is no "u" in Qapla

3 minutes ago, Qapla said:

There is no "u" in Qapla

Its the European spelling....

It adds flavour and colour to the American spelling...

Edited by Tortuga

13 hours ago, Brother_Bliss said:

Removed "Go To Top" 3rd party plugin, as this was the cause of the upgrade failure.

11 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I'm going to miss that...:cry:

10 hours ago, jwhess said:

It appears that the little arrow on the right side that takes you to the top of the page is gone.  I can use the <HOME> button to do the job.

I found a new plugin that provides a "Back to top" button that won't crash the system, lol....

JWTalk 22.10.29

• Installed "Back to top" button

11 hours ago, Qapla said:

Speaking of the calendar ... it looks a bit "different" than it used to

Yes, "Calendar" is now called "Events" and has new features and a makeover. You can read about it by clicking the links below.

12 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Does this mean the WT Study topics can be scheduled to posted and Carlos doesn't have to fire you? 😁

Theoretically. I haven't tested it yet, lol. But I and a couple others kept nagging Invision Inc. for this feature and they finally delivered.  You can read about it by clicking the links below.

13 hours ago, Brother_Bliss said:

10 minutes ago, Brother_Bliss said:

Theoretically. I haven't tested it yet, lol. But I and a couple others kept nagging Invision Inc. for this feature and they finally delivered.  You can read about it by clicking the links below.

I just made some tests and it seems this functionality is only available for the staff.

Limited and full access members cannot schedule the publishing of threads, which on the other hand sounds quite logical. I can't think of any utility this feature has for members other than moderators.

24 minutes ago, Brother_Bliss said:

found a new plugin that provides a "Back to top" button that won't crash the system, lol....

:ecstatic:

I found a new plugin that provides a "Back to top" button that won't crash the system, lol....

JWTalk 22.10.29

• Installed "Back to top" button

If that costs anything, take it out of Carlos paycheck. :whistling:

I have a couple of questions:

I realize the "Calander" had a name change to "Events", but there are, evidently, some other changes. Below are a couple screen captures of the "Events/Calendar" - the actual place where you schedule the events.

I did the screen captures in "Light Mode" since most use that although I use "Dark Mode" - however, except for the colors, the results are the same.

It used to be that, when I went there to schedule a Zoom Chat, I would see something like the lower picture - now I am greeted with the upper picture. If you notice, the upper picture has a small set of boxes next to the "Create Event" button. It is set on the "Overview" box and gives me the view in the upper picture below. Very difficult to navigate, in my opinion.

If I click on the second square, I get "Monthly view" - which is how it used to look - much easier to navigate and use.

The first question is: How do I set the "Monthly View" as the default, so I am not greeted with the overview each time I go there?

If you look at the default overview you can see the large red letters from the Cover Image for my event. I tried making the image smaller and it still displays it by taking the entire top half of the day's block. If I do not use a cover image, the top half of the block is "blanked out" and the events are displayed on the bottom half of the block. Actually, if you look at both pictures (or go to the events calendar) you will see that there are two events for Monday, Oct. 31 - however, in the overview, only one event shows - in the monthly view you can see both events.

The question is: How do we use a cover image without this happening?

image.thumb.png.90f7711e42a2f2d6894ceb4a915dce20.png

image.png.cdb3928bf2f150197a49f9babafe9d71.png

Edited by Qapla

3 hours ago, Qapla said:

The first question is: How do I set the "Monthly View" as the default, so I am not greeted with the overview each time I go there?

At the top of the page you can control your default calender view just like you can control your default forum view. The options are to the left of the "Create Event" button.

3 hours ago, Qapla said:

The question is: How do we use a cover image without this happening?

I don't think there is a choice. The overview is going to show it unless I dig into the template and remove it manually. 

I do have the option to make the Monthly view the default for everyone instead of the Overview page.

28 minutes ago, Brother_Bliss said:

At the top of the page you can control your default calender view just like you can control your default forum view. The options are to the left of the "Create Event" button.

I tried that but it doesn't save a default view for me. In the forums, the view you select stays, but in Events whenever you go back to it, it always defaults to the Overview style.