JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Sunday, November 25 As soon as I heard these words, . . . I kept fasting and praying before the God of the heavens.​—Neh. 1:4.

Sunday, November 25

As soon as I heard these words, . . . I kept fasting and praying before the God of the heavens.—Neh. 1:4.

Nehemiah’s example demonstrates how modesty can help us to keep from becoming self-reliant when we receive a change of assignment or additional responsibility. Relying just on his own experience, an elder could begin to care for congregation matters without first approaching Jehovah in prayer. Others might make a decision first and then pray for Jehovah to bless their decision. Is that being modest, however? A modest person will always remember his place before God and his role in God’s arrangement. Our abilities are not the important thing. Especially when we are faced with a familiar situation or problem, we have to be careful not to rely on ourselves. (Prov. 3:5, 6) As members of God’s household, we learn to think in terms of fulfilling roles in a family or as part of a congregation rather than achieving a rank or climbing a corporate ladder.—1 Tim. 3:15. w17.01 4:7, 8

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.