JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Anybody on our route?

I Mapquested the route(s) I will take when driving Boots back to NY with me from OK. It's from Clinton, OK to Corning, NY. Do any of you live on the route we will be taking? Maybe we could meet for a meal if you know of any good restaurants. I'm not big on a lot of fast food. I hope I don't have to go thru any large cities...that kind of driving terrifies me and I'm going to be driving a U-Haul which is going to be nerve racking enough! It will be Beulah (Boots) and the kitties and me lol. I am taking the Amtrak Wed 6/27 will arrive OKC 6/29 then Sat we will get the U-Haul, load it up and hopefully at least get out of OK by Sat evening. I doubt I will be doing any night driving, as I'll be too tired and I can't see well driving at night, especially in rain. We will find a motel that allows kitties and crash lol. It will be slow going cos I can only drive 1 1/2 to 2 hrs without stopping for a bathroom and move legs break. Since Boots is 72 and has a heart condition, I will be the only one driving. I'm really looking forward to a change in scenery and bringing my "adopted mom" back to live with us. I'm bringing the GPS to use and I hope the truck has cruise control! This will be my big adventure for the summer!

Get more exercise....walk with Jehovah!

Also, on the Amtrak, I will leave Rochester NY to Chicago Illinois and have a 4 hour layover then go from Chicago to Ft Worth Texas and have a 4 hour layover there then on to OKC. I don't know why it has to go down to TX, seems like that is out of the way but that is the schedule on the website lol. What kind of literature do you advise....some tracts? I carry a very small purse so I can't put mags or brochures in it. Just in case..... :readbible:

Also, on the Amtrak, I will leave Rochester NY to Chicago Illinois and have a 4 hour layover then go from Chicago to Ft Worth Texas and have a 4 hour layover there then on to OKC. I don't know why it has to go down to TX, seems like that is out of the way but that is the schedule on the website lol. What kind of literature do you advise....some tracts? I carry a very small purse so I can't put mags or brochures in it. Just in case..... :readbible:

That's because the Amtrak train leaving Chicago does not travel through Oklahoma. It travels through Missouri, Arkansas, then Texas. After the stop in Ft. Worth, the train continues down to Austin/San Antonio. This is the train link http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Route_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241245651642

The train from Ft. Worth to OKC is this one http://www.heartlandflyer.com/

I live in Arlington TX, city next to Ft. Worth, but I work on the day you are coming in.

I love road trips!!! When I was a kid, my dad would take 4 weeks vacation in a row in July, and we would drive all over the country. I have started that with my own kids. I have 7 states left to visit, and my kids have already been to I think 25 states, as well as Mexico and Canada.

Advice, take your time, enjoy the views and stop at interesting places along the way if you have time. Night driving is not good for me either. And I too need to use the restroom every hour, lol. When you stop to eat, don't do drive through. I like to stop at places I have never heard of (no chain restaurants) and get out and eat inside. It's a nice way to stretch your legs and relax. Rest stops along the highways are usually really nice and clean, and that is where we usually stop. As for hotels that are usually reasonable along the way, Days Inn, Super 8, La Quinta. Usually these ones along the highways are pretty clean and not to pricey. Motel 6 is cheap, but its not the greatest, but I have stopped at those when it was late and we just needed a few hours of sleep.

Enjoy your trip and be safe!!!!

BTW, I too have driven cross country with a Uhaul. Just remember, it's an extension of your car. It will go where you go. Your rear view mirror will become useless and your side mirrors your best friend. Don't constantly look at it in your rear view mirror while you are driving, lol. Just drive the car and don't think about the uhaul.

Thanks for the advice, Ava. I won't be driving a car pulling a u-haul it will be a small moving truck. I once had to drive one the size of a tractor trailer but it was only across town. This one should be much smaller lol. I'm going to go on the AARP site and see what I can find for motel discounts as I have an AARP card. I'm 53 so I don't quite make the senior discount (the ones that start at 55 but my hubby does lol) but Boots will certainly qualify for senior discount. I'm gonna talk my hubby into letting me bring his laptop so I can keep in touch with everyone on my trip. Using the internet on my cell drains the battery too quickly. I wish I could have met you but we can still talk here! Agape :heart:

Christina, When you pass through southen Illinois you will be about 2 1/2 to 3 hours from my house. I am in central Illinois (Lincoln) Guess that I won't get to meet you in person. :(

I hope that you trip goes well:givehug:

Well, Betty when I am going thru Illinois, I will think of you :heart: Bob and Holly I am getting excited about meeting you, and Nancy too if it works out. Ava, we will be doing sit down restaurants. Even if its a fast food place I will go in to sit. For one I will probably need to stretch my legs and potty break (and Boots too) but also it drives me crazy to see people eating and driving! Just like talking on the phone or texting while driving...ANY distraction can be disasterous! Agape all

Well, Betty when I am going thru Illinois, I will think of you :heart: Bob and Holly I am getting excited about meeting you, and Nancy too if it works out. Ava, we will be doing sit down restaurants. Even if its a fast food place I will go in to sit. For one I will probably need to stretch my legs and potty break (and Boots too) but also it drives me crazy to see people eating and driving! Just like talking on the phone or texting while driving...ANY distraction can be disasterous! Agape all

I also will be thinking of you and will be anxious to hear how the trip is going. May Jehovah go with you!:scooter:

Just an update....Boots hasn't sold her car yet which is what she is paying for the trip with so things are on hold. She does not have internet so I got the info and posted an ad for her on Craigslist in Lawton, OK (She lives in Clinton) so hoping this will help. I don't know of any other places to list it, not familiar with her area. Agape,

Christina