JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Getting the Sense of It

In order to make the point to an ongoing bible student who still carried out some questionable practices, the brother taking his study presented a pointed scenario to see if his student got the point. He said:

There was a well known, but a little disreputable, painter and decorator who was running short of work and, in desperation, put an ad in his local paper. The plea for work was answered by a man responsible for the building where his local working men's club met. He answered the ad with a request to restore the outside of the building with a fresh white finish. They haggled a bit over the price, but it was finally agreed. The painter thought 'this will be easy. I can water down my cans of paint and the people won't know the difference. I will get back double for the cost of the paint'. He started the work on a gloomy day and after completing two sides of the building, it started to rain. The paint quickly ran off and left the walls as they were before. He gave up for the day and came back two days later. The work got as far as the third side of the building when it poured with rain. It  all went back to square one. The painter was frustrated but determined to finish the work. He came back for a third and final attempt, but before he even started the heavens opened, and he got drenched but, as he was standing there a voice, seeming to come from above said to him "Repaint, and thin no more!"

The brother said to his student do you see the point? 'Yes' said the student, finally, 'If I really want to serve Jehovah I cannot cut corners to do so. He wants me to do things properly, right from the start'. Getting the sense of things is not always obvious, and we often need to have a graphic picture painted!