JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Any Rns Here?

Hi, everyone -

I am going to be starting my second and last year of nursing school at the end of August.  Are there any RNs out there on the site who have words of wisdom?  This is a second career for me, and half the reason I am doing it is so that I can do my 3 days in the hospital, and then be able to devote more time to the ministry.  I spent too many years chained to a desk Mondays through Fridays, commuting, etc.  I don't want to do that anymore (but, yes, I know - there will still be a ton of paperwork, and there are nurses out there who like to 'eat their young,' sad to say!).  ;)

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

I am a Registered Mental Nurse (RMN) I find working in Psyche quite difficult, so much paperwork and patients that do not think twice of attacking you. I work shifts and despite work agreeing to me not working Thursday nights and Sunday's, they keep putting me on shift on those days. The first year they were good at assembly time off but this year they declined and i had to request days off and swap shifts. I have decided to change my job and work some bank shifts when i need to as I plan to regular pioneer and work refused to reduce my hours to three days a week. 

There is a tendency in nursing to expect staff to work more than they are contracted for and unless you have set days be prepared to negotiate your shifts. I put Jehovah first and this has paid off with the amount of informal witnessing i do, I always wait for them to ask me and make sure i have current magazines etc with me at work.

I did three years at university to train as a nurse but thankfully i stayed at home and didn't have to travel especially as i have children. Looking back in retrospect I wish I hadn't wasted that time and instead sorted myself out. I'm auxiliary pioneering now and my anxiety levels have reduced and I'm sleeping a little better.

I hope you are able to serve Jehovah to the best of your ability and stay out of hospital politics x

Just me, INS, (in home support).  I love my job.

You know, one of the areas I am considering is home health, but I am also interested in pediatrics and oncology.

Thanks, GW, for your input!  :)

I am a Registered Mental Nurse (RMN) I find working in Psyche quite difficult, so much paperwork and patients that do not think twice of attacking you. I work shifts and despite work agreeing to me not working Thursday nights and Sunday's, they keep putting me on shift on those days. The first year they were good at assembly time off but this year they declined and i had to request days off and swap shifts. I have decided to change my job and work some bank shifts when i need to as I plan to regular pioneer and work refused to reduce my hours to three days a week. 

There is a tendency in nursing to expect staff to work more than they are contracted for and unless you have set days be prepared to negotiate your shifts. I put Jehovah first and this has paid off with the amount of informal witnessing i do, I always wait for them to ask me and make sure i have current magazines etc with me at work.

I did three years at university to train as a nurse but thankfully i stayed at home and didn't have to travel especially as i have children. Looking back in retrospect I wish I hadn't wasted that time and instead sorted myself out. I'm auxiliary pioneering now and my anxiety levels have reduced and I'm sleeping a little better.

I hope you are able to serve Jehovah to the best of your ability and stay out of hospital politics x

Wendien, thank you for all your information.  :)  I have heard about how hospitals like to change people's shifts and/or work you overtime.  I plan to be firm (but cooperative as far as I can) with the administration and hope for the best.  I think with the new healthcare law coming into effect, the need for nurses is only going to increase, so I am hoping to find a place where they will work with me.

Have you always done psyche?  :)