JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

For those on Facebook...security experts to warn people to remove their personal contact details from the site

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4857 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Facebook change exposes users’ contact details...

Late on Friday evening, Facebook made the tweak to its developer terms, via its blog, saying: “We are now making a user’s address and mobile phone number accessible [to developers]," prompting security experts to warn people to remove their personal contact details from the site immediately.

Moving forward, whenever a Facebook user accepts the terms and conditions of downloading an app, such as a game or a video developed for the platform by a third party company, they will also be allowing that company access to their mobile telephone number and address, if they have previously loaded that information into their profile.

"This change isn't as drastic as it might first appear, because users will need to give permission for third-party Facebook applications to access this data," explained Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at IT security and control firm Sophos. "But it still sounds like a recipe for disaster, given the prevalence of rogue scam applications already on Facebook - all of which benefit from apparently being blessed by the Facebook name and brand."

According to Sophos, Facebook is already plagued by rogue applications which solely exist to post spam links to users' walls, point users to survey scams that earn them commission - and sometimes even trick users into handing over their mobile numbers to sign them up for a premium rate service.

Now, the IT security company has said, rogue app developers will find it easier than ever before to gather even more personal information from users and has advised Facebook members to remove all of their personal contact information from the site immediately....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/facebook/8264092/Facebook-change-exposes-users-contact-details.html

Thank you. This should go without saying - but, anything you put on the internet (even in private sites) can and will be viewed by others. So, if you never want it available to EVERYONE don't put it there.

In the US when you are arrested by the police they are required to read you your rights. In it they say, "Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law." This seems to be a good motto for anything we put on the internet - including personal info. Anything you put there can and will be used by others.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I'm happy I don't need to deal anymore with Facebook! I'm not surprised what facebook doing.I remember without asking they was publishing which I didn't agreed and I should constantly change privacy settings.Best way is to quit Facebook completely and not to worry about this!:)