JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

A 'Bible' for non-believers...

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4763 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

as brought out in yesterdays Wt..being prepared to resist...atheistic and evolutionist propaganda ..

their lastest book a ...A 'Bible' for non-believers...when are they going to come out with something of their own and stop taking ideas from religion?

"After centuries of being the best-selling work of all time, the Bible has a competitor - but this new book doesn't feature god or religion.

Instead, The Good Book - A Secular Bible draws inspiration from the ancient Greeks and Romans.

It has been put together by British philosopher AC Grayling, and is designed to appeal to non-believers seeking moral guidance.

AC Grayling: 'How can you be a militant atheist? It's like sleeping furiously'"

"In his new book, The Good Book: A Secular Bible, the philosopher sets out his manifesto for rational thought. He talks about why religion angers him, the power of philosophy –

The Good Book mirrors the Bible in both form and language, and is, as its author says, "ambitious and hubristic – a distillation of the best that has been thought and said by people who've really experienced life, and thought about it". Drawing on classical secular texts from east and west, Grayling has "done just what the Bible makers did with the sacred texts", reworking them into a "great treasury of insight and consolation and inspiration and uplift and understanding in the great non-religious traditions of the world". He has been working on his opus for several decades, and the result is an extravagantly erudite manifesto for rational thought.

The author of 30 books, he is a professor of philosophy at Birkbeck College in London, and a supernumerary of St Anne's College, Oxford, as well as a UN human rights activist. But he is probably best described by that phrase that tends to make the British uncomfortable – a public intellectual.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/apr/03/grayling-good-book-atheism-philosophy

One day in field service....a 20's something female had a copy of this" strange" worded bible. When I asked her to see it or look something up. Like Psalms 83:18, IT was not there. Also The words where really strange.

It looked like a bible but it was not one I have ever seen before..

She did take the Watchtower and Awake:sunshine:

Have you ever seen crabs in a bucket? I grew up on the Gulf Coast of Texas and we would go crabbing using a 5 gallon bucket to hold the crabs. The only time you had to worry about one getting out was when you only had one crab in the bucket, once there were about two or more no worries. Because they would not let each other out of the bucket. Now I said all of this because I have always thought of evolutionist/atheist the same way, once in the bucket no amount of reasoning gets them out of the bucket. Now they have their own "bible" LOL, does anyone have a feather to tickle some ears with?

Well it looks like the ruler of this world has got the blinders on extra tight for some. Only Jehovah can help us.........

I found the brothers comment in the WT lesson, para 17 very interesting. 'All Christians must prepare themselves to resist such an onslaught....' I get a few chilling warnings in those words. That although we are well familiar with Atheism and have had recent articles covering it, being prepared tells me we 'ain't seen nothing yet' and that it will be an onslaught. Well that is a strong or violent attack. Probably co-ordinated in military fashion. That was one key point for me.

Hope I'm not repeating things here, havnt got around to reading our WT lesson thread.

I found the brothers comment in the WT lesson, para 17 very interesting. 'All Christians must prepare themselves to resist such an onslaught....' I get a few chilling warnings in those words. That although we are well familiar with Atheism and have had recent articles covering it, being prepared tells me we 'ain't seen nothing yet' and that it will be an onslaught. Well that is a strong or violent attack. Probably co-ordinated in military fashion. That was one key point for me.

Hope I'm not repeating things here, havnt got around to reading our WT lesson thread.

Hi Jeremy

That was brought out...but that can not be bought out too many times in my opinion...the onslaught is great in the UK...I have really noticed it these say last 10 years...and how it is speeding up...they are trying to bury religion...

so people have nothing to compare ideas with...if you are living life at the fast speed it is today...

you don't think to see what values are around...you just go with what's on offer...

and the message is coming out...there is no God...so do your own thing...

Sian, I've read about the campaigns in the UK run by atheists, and their slogan was something like "Stop worrying there is no God" and they took to advertising on buses. I think I remember they were asking for donations?

And Jeremy, yes, militant was what came to my mind about this "rising tide".