JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

We Just Want Good Innings! (Article about the ideal age to die.)

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4726 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

We just want a good innings! Only 15% of people want to live forever and 90 is the ideal age

By Daily Mail Reporter

Only 15 per cent of people would like to live forever and just nine per cent would like to live to more than 100, according to research published today.

A study revealed that over one in four would like to die aged 81-90, while young people are more likely to want to live forever than older people.

Read more: Daily Mail

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

The irony of this survey is that younger people want to live forever. The concept of death is so far removed from a younger person. I did not become aware of my mortality till I was 34. Prior to last year, I was invincible. Now, getting to a certain age and thus a certain lower level of physical health is something I can comprehend, as well as wanting to throw in the towel if it got too bad.

I think they should redo the survey and qualify it with "If you could live forever looking and feeling like you are 21, would you be interested?" :)

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I think they should redo the survey and qualify it with "If you could live forever looking and feeling like you are 21, would you be interested?" :)

I think this would definitely get a much different response......

I may be tired and in pain :wheelchair: but I'll never   :surrender: to it just send some encouraging words or hugs  :kisscheek:  :encourage:  and I'll return the same   :kisscheek:  :encourage:

I think that people in general cannot fathom the idea of living forever.

Right from an age where people can understand the concept of life and death most people have at the back of their minds (subconsciously) the fact that one day they are going to die. So when such a question is posed about living forever, their minds cannot grasp what that really means. They have to make a quantum shift from the thinking that has pervaded their being for all their life, and living forever has to suddenly be factored in and it is not possible to factor out the effects a finite existence has on their thinking

For example, everything has time constraints because of a finite life expectancy. If we live forever those time restraints disappear as we can do what we want at sometime rather than having to do things at a time before death interrupts our plans. But that concept cannot easily be considered as it goes contrary to a finite life and how plans are made accordingly.

So I am not really surprised to see such a response. It is the same when we present the concept of living forever in the ministry. I remember I asked one person would you like to live forever and he said definitely NO!. I was taken aback at that response, but thinking about it later I could see why he replied in that way. I was brought up as a witness and so my subconscious has always had the understanding that living forever is the natural concept. I don't need to make any shift of thinking to accept it. However, most people don't even consider this possibility could exist. So now I am careful to try to approach this topic in a way that I can get people to shift their thinking to be able to accept it as a viable possibility rather than just an academic exercise.

Not always easy to do.

The kingdom message is appealling because we take it to them as a package, not just living forever but with other benefits like: no sickness (lsa.33:24), plenty of food (Ps.72:16), house for all (lsa.65:21,22), no pain (Rev. 21:4) etc. And that is why over 7m worldwide could presently accept that fact without any doubt. Thanks to Jehovah for the enlightment.

The kingdom message is appealling because we take it to them as a package, not just living forever but with other benefits like: no sickness (lsa.33:24), plenty of food (Ps.72:16), house for all (lsa.65:21,22), no pain (Rev. 21:4) etc. And that is why over 7m worldwide could presently accept that fact without any doubt. Thanks to Jehovah for the enlightment.

:dance:

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.