JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Internet Connection Woes

We're having internet connection problems at home and so our time online will be whenever we go somewhere that has free wi-fi to get our fix. We'll be back on in a couple days hopefully, provided we don't die from withdrawals :-)

Your brother,

- Bob

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Mc Donald's offers free WI-FI!!!! :D And can you get me a 10 piece chicken nugget meal, large size, with hot mustard, and a large Dr. Pepper no ice, while you're there??? THANKS!!! Knew I could count on ya!

I tried McDonald's. They want $2.95 for a 2 hour block of time. Yesterday I parked outside Bob Evans but they kept kicking me off. Right now, I am parked outside an apartment complex down the street from my house :-)

Panera Bread is usually the best around here.

- Bob

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

So here I am at Panera Bread. Unfortunately I was hungry, and thus spent an exorbitant amount of money for a sandwich and soup.

AT&T has finally angered me to the point of losing a customer. Having promised to restore my service last Thursday, it was still off this morning. When I called to complain they said that there was an order to cancel DSL, not restore it. I explained that I was told that everything would be back to normal in a few hours. They said that all they saw on the screen was an order to cancel the service X(

I had told this person Thursday that we were internet dependent people and getting it back on needed to be the top priority. They assured me it would be working in a few hours. Friday Crystal called and said it was still not working, and they said it would be taken care of that day. So today, this guy tells me that since an order was put in to cancel it, they have to put in a new order and it will not be until Wednesday or Thursday that it would be back on. And to top it off, my email addresses with them cannot be given back to me. I said do what you got to do.

Steaming mad, I call Time Warner Cable. They can hook me up on Monday. I get the ball rolling with them and then call AT&T back to cancel. This operator tells me that I cannot cancel that I just started a contract with them. I said I certainly did not, that I had been a high speed internet customer for 5 years, am not under contract, and am canceling my service which apparently is already off. He says that his records show that I just ordered DSL and agreed to the lower monthly price and contract term. I tell him the story from the beginning and let him know that they will never get another dime from me again. He puts me on hold, comes back, and says the order has been canceled.

In the next day or two, I am taking the number I have with them and porting it over to another provider as well.

Hmph!

- Bob

As you all can see my husband has had withdrawals and has left every day to get on the internet. lol we have to wait until MONDAY for our new Road runner to be hooked up. And it is sad to say that my children are sleeping in the car while we are in a parking lot to be on the internet. we need to get serious help!

~ Crystal

Sorry that your internet is down! That stinks:( I have to go to the wi-fi places with my laptop because I don't have internet at my place. Its ok though because it's an excuse to get a coffee..yum! A lot of the places here (food joints) offer wi-fi so I can watch the football game and/or basketball game on HUGE tv's in HD and have dinner all while I am on!! It's great! Kind of pricey to do a lot but if you I do it for the must see games~its ok. It's college area so they have pretty cheap/affordable meals:)

I can certainly relate to that. When I was with Time Warner everything was great. Then I canceled and went to ATT. Unfortunately Time Warner did not understand that I had fully canceled and I had payed what I had owed for the part of the month I used them. But I kept getting from TW that I was late and I owed over 150 dollars and I called them and said I had canceled and this went on for a couple months. Once they said they had owed me a dollar and some change and I never got that. But they did say I had canceled and owed nothing. I still got another bill saying I was over due and I owed more money and I called again to make sure. One person said they could not give me info because my SS# was incorrect and that I needed to give the correct last 4 digits and they claimed it was wrong. Anyway, later I called and got it straightened out but I kept getting offers to use their service which made me mad because I had just left them so I sent a letter to the billing department telling them to get their record straight and they didn't know their right hand from the left and a letter to the department that sends offers to stop sending me their stuff. I haven't gotten anymore bills and as for offers that's yet to be seen. I was mad everytime. I had even got a few phone calls from them that I never answered.

That's priceless Bob! and just the kind of thing my husband would do. it wasn't that long ago when our power was out that we drove down the interstate so he could park in a motel parking lot so he would have service...altho his was for business!

I am sitting in the parking lot outside a local music store again tonight. Time Warner was out, but said that all the lines coming to the house from the pole are worthless and we'll have to be rewired, on WEDNESDAY! I am so irritated!!!

Anyhow, I am self employed, and most my business communication and contract negotiation is done online, so it is important to check on it every day.

- Bob

A lot of the places here (food joints) offer wi-fi...

Just Panera Bread here, Brandie. Bob Evans does too but I kept getting kicked off. Borders says it has some coming soon. McD's charges for it. Akron Music is unsecured and leaves their stuff on at night, so I can zip down the street here and sync my email to Thunderbird, then go home and take care of business.

- Bob

A lot of the places here (food joints) offer wi-fi...

Just Panera Bread here, Brandie. Bob Evans does too but I kept getting kicked off. Borders says it has some coming soon. McD's charges for it. Akron Music is unsecured and leaves their stuff on at night, so I can zip down the street here and sync my email to Thunderbird, then go home and take care of business.

- Bob

They need to get some steak houses up there that offer free wi-fi. That is a sure fire way to get people to come spend money! lol. Have you checked the local library?....never mind if you are getting on later it wouldn't probably be open. Thankgoodness for Akron Music:) It's not far from you either so it works out! I can't stand Time Warner after what they did to my dad. I just moved and am going to be getting service but I think the only one that serves my new area is Time Warner:( Yuck! Oh well. I hope they get thier act together so that you can be back online for your business!

Bee,you can always get Dish Network!!! :) I work for them so I know they offer better prices than Time Warner, who I have for service! My apt won't take Dish...

Cool! I'll have to look into that. I moved to the Columbus area from Akron about a year ago and I am in process of moving down the road so I am not sure of the services or anything in this area yet. I did break down and look online at the "deals" for Time Warner and didn't see any that really stood out. I guess till I find something I will be hanging out at the free wi-fi spots and watching the games there....which is ok with me for the time being:) Thanks!

~Bee

They need to get some steak houses up there that offer free wi-fi.

Mmmm. I could have a steak with my internet, medium well, thank you :P

Have you checked the local library?

I'm here at Stow at the moment. Crystal was here with the kids and the kids she watches, so I stopped by on my way home from work.

I can't stand Time Warner after what they did to my dad. I just moved and am going to be getting service but I think the only one that serves my new area is Time Warner:( Yuck! Oh well. I hope they get thier act together so that you can be back online for your business!

I thought it was Adelphia that he worked for. But anyhow, I can understand the dilemma. He wasn't at meeting on Sunday because he had been sick, but your mom and Drew came with us to take the speaker out for hospitality. Hope he is feeling better.

Just one more day, and then "beep beep" -> Zoom!

- Bob

I will laugh my butt off if they come in tomorrow and say, "Well, sir, something else is wrong. We won't be able to get it fixed until this coming Monday, I do apologize!"

:lol1:

Today is the day, sometime between 4 and 6pm.

Now you had to go and say something, didn't you? If something else is wrong, Micah, I'm coming after you! B)

- Bob

Hey Micah, Time Warner was out today and hooked me up :-)

And then he said that he didn't know what the first guy's problem was. Everything was fine.

Oh well.

- Bob