JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Breakfast for Supper

When it gets cold we really enjoy having breakfast menus for supper.

This recipe was given to me by a friend and she is just as sweet as this dish!

I usually only make this for grand kids because the rest of us don't need it. But we sure do love it! It puts IHop to shame.

There are many ways to say I love you, and in my family, some folks have decided that pancakes are the way to show they care.

Banana, bacon, and pecan pancakes

For the topping:

1/2 cup unsalted butter

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup water

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

2 bananas, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds

1/2 cup pecans

4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled

Salt

For the pancakes:

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

2 tablespoons granulated sugar

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1 1/2 cups buttermilk

1 large egg beaten

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 banana, peeled and mashed

2 slices cooked bacon, crumbled

1 tablespoon butter, room temperature, divided

To make the topping, in a pot, on medium heat melt the butter, brown sugar, and water. When it comes to a boil, after about a minute, continue to boil for 1-2 more minutes or until it’s slightly thicker and syrupy. Turn off the heat and stir in the vanilla, cinnamon, bananas, pecans, and bacon. Add a sprinkle of salt to taste.

For the pancakes, mix together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Beat together the buttermilk, egg, vanilla, and oil and pour into the flour mixture. Add the mashed banana and crumbled bacon, and stir until a thick batter is formed.

Preheat the oven to 200°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Heat a skillet on medium and add a dab of the softened butter to the skillet to grease it. Pour 1/4 cup of the batter into the skillet and cook for a about 2 minutes on one side, until the edges are slightly set and bubbles begin to form in batter. Gently flip the pancake and cook on the other side a couple more minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Place cooked pancake in the oven, and continue for the rest of the batter, adding a dab of butter to grease the skillet when necessary.

To serve, stack 3-4 pancakes on each plate and cover with the topping.

Yield: 4 servings

post-717-0-89664700-1386126104.jpg

Edited by LeslieDean

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

oh man.... oh man, my husband would eat this up!

Just tonight I had my baggie of cheerios on the counter for breakfast. he was telling me how to make them better, "just pour sweetened condensed milk over the top and some cinnamon" .....GAG ME!! Another of his favorites is slightly undercooked waffles smothered in butter and Mrs. Buttersworth. Cough, gag, throw-up! He loves all that sweet, gooey stuff. So I'm not going to show him your picture Les, he'll make me cook them for him. And whining isn't a problem for him.  (I liked the nuts!!) :uhhuh:

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

All men know how to whine! LOL  Hey, I never thought of sweetened condensed milk and cinnamon!  I love cinnamon toast crunch that is homemade.. Make your own cinnamon toast and tear it into pieces and then pour milk on it!  That was the way my Mom did it when I was little and such a treat!  She was way ahead of her time

Edited by LeslieDean

LeslieDean

All men know how to whine! LOL  Hey, I never thought of sweetened condensed milk and cinnamon!  I love cinnamon toast crunch that is homemade.. Make your own cinnamon toast and tear it into pieces and then pour milk on it!  That was the way my Mom did it when I was little and such a treat!  She was way ahead of her time.

You just get here Missy and whatever time it is I will make it for you!

LeslieDean

Leslie,Leslie,Leslie,In defense of the brothers we never whine.We may express over and over we want something,but we are just expressing ourself for our loved ones.We may say,but honey,it may sound like we whine but we are just saying it in a soft loving voice.And when we are sick we really are dying,lol.On a brighter note it looks and sounds womderful,I am going to make it for my son and myself this weekend and if I gain weight I may whine,lol