JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Where do you shop for:

Parents, where do you shop for dresses for your young girls? My daughter is 11 and is at that weird age where she doesn't fit in girls clothing any more but also doesn't fit in women's clothing. And when I do find a skirt/dress that fits it's not modest.

Any where online that you shop?

I remember, that was a difficult time to buy clothes for my daughter.

She had a few maxi dresses that she wore with a shrug or cardigan or even a shirt underneath.

And a couple of basic skirts that she wore with a variety of shirts.

But I do not remember WHERE we bought it. We went to so many different stores...

Parents, where do you shop for dresses for your young girls? My daughter is 11 and is at that weird age where she doesn't fit in girls clothing any more but also doesn't fit in women's clothing. And when I do find a skirt/dress that fits it's not modest.

Any where online that you shop?

Been there, done that.  I feel for you.  That is such a hard time to shop for girls.  I remember when my daughter was that age, it was an endless day of driving to store after store, parking, traffic, long lines, trying on tons of clothes and having them too small or too big, or if they did fit, they were not modest.  Girls clothes were too small, women's clothes too big, and the small selection of pre-teen stuff was too skimpy.  I swear they are making pre-tean girl clothes these days to make girls look like miley cyrus or something.  It's awful

I did not shop online with my daughter as I hated buying clothes online, trying them on, then having to return them.  As to stores, I shopped everywhere for her.  

I do have a tip for you for skirts if they are too short, you need to know how to sew.  I got this suggestion from a sister at another cong as she struggled with finding long skirts for her daughter at this age.  She would find a skirt, say it came above the knees.  She then would go to a fabric store and buy some very pretty lace or something (not see through type lace, the heavier kind, if that makes sense) and then she would cut the fabric several inches wide and sew it on the bottom of the skirt.  It actually was very pretty.  

I have a son too, they are sooo much easier to shop for!!!!

I do have a tip for you for skirts if they are too short, you need to know how to sew. I got this suggestion from a sister at another cong as she struggled with finding long skirts for her daughter at this age. She would find a skirt, say it came above the knees. She then would go to a fabric store and buy some very pretty lace or something (not see through type lace, the heavier kind, if that makes sense) and then she would cut the fabric several inches wide and sew it on the bottom of the skirt. It actually was very pretty.

I have a son too, they are sooo much easier to shop for!!!!

I did this once before. I had forgotten about this trick. Thanks for reminding me!

And yes, I have two boys and they are definitely easier to dress. :)

For young girls, I have seen some beautiful clothing through Jen Modest Clothing. I'm not sure if they would be in your daughter's size, but it's worth a look as they do sell XS sizes. It might be good to type in "modest clothes for girls" on an internet search. Works for me.

Also, North Style, Serengeti, Old Pueblo Traders, Jones New York, Willow Ridge, Paragon, Bedford Fair, even J.C. Penney all have some nice clothes.

Macy's and Land's End also have some offerings (google midi-length skirts).  Sometimes I like to go to resale shops, too.

I have really disliked shopping for clothes for my niece ever since she passed size 6 as a little kid.  Everything other than really dressy dresses is either androgenous looking or immodest.

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻