JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Moderator Messages

So I got a phone call from a friend who is a member here who hasn't had internet for a few weeks and hasn't checked his mail in a long time, and he said he had like 30+ messages with the subject "New message in forum" that are meant to be sent to moderators of a group or forum.

Since I do not have any moderators yet, I am thinking "Huh?" and immediately go hunting for the bug. Turns out that for the General Membership group permissions, each and every one of you had moderator permissions for the Suggestions and Development forum.

Didn't anybody else notice?

- Bob

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Yes...I noticed, but just didnt think much about it. I have tried to stop it from sending me messages to my email everytime someone posts something. My email is filling up with messages but I would be coming to the site anyway and checking on things. If you can take me off the email list...please do.

Thanks!

Yes...I noticed, but just didnt think much about it. I have tried to stop it from sending me messages to my email everytime someone posts something. My email is filling up with messages but I would be coming to the site anyway and checking on things. If you can take me off the email list...please do.

Thanks!

It should stop. Essentialy, all 120 of you registered users were Moderators of the "Suggestions & Development" forum over in Engineering. I checked the wrong box a long time ago :-)

You had all that power and never knew :lol1:

- Bob

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

how funny! i was getting on here to send you a PM, bob about the emails. i just got back from my CA and had 78 emails during that time, and 45 on friday. was gonna ask you to STOP ITTTTT! So are you saying it's not gonna do that anymore?

You should stop receiving emails with the subject "New message in forum" that moderators get, and then you were only getting them if someone posted to the Suggestion & Development forum.

You will still receive emails about followed topics, and the subjects usually look like "[General Discussion] New reply: Re: Four Letter Word Game". You can stop following certain topics in the Show Followed Topics panel.

When you post, there is an option to Follow a Topic, and another one to Email you about replies to a topic that you can uncheck.

- Bob

huh...i had all that power and i didn't even know how to delete my OWN comments!!

For awhile, you had that power in the Suggestions & Development forum :-)

Users cannot delete posts, but you have a 15 minute window to edit them. But according to LaRhonda, the edit option disappears after somebody replies to your post (which if true, I didn't know about, but makes sense).

- Bob

Yes I got them. I didn't say anything because I didn't really know what to do. Don't want to moderate. :?

You said you already do somewhere else right? And it keeps your hands full?

Things are easier when everybody is a Witness :-)

- Bob

I'm still getting messages in my email...its getting full.

Please read this post

Messages with the subject "New message in forum" should stop coming.

Email notification about replies to topics you are following you will still get.

If everyone is a witness....you really dont need but one moderator, huh? Unless someone breaks in to our little paradise.

Sneaks in, not breaks in. Or if someone inside starts walking the wayward path. Hopefully neither would happen.

There are no moderators yet, but it doesn't mean I wouldn't mind having some eventually. Things will grow to where I simply cannot keep up with reading every post. But since we really do not anticipate trouble in here, mostly moderators would approve new users. It would save them from having to wait for me to come online. Right now Crystal can approve new users too. But for awhile, if there was a newbie waiting for approval, everybody would have seen the notification if they visited the Suggestions & Development forum.

Other than that, having a panel to discuss ideas would be nice, but while the site is small, I can just poll the users :-)

- Bob