JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Penn Yan NY Flooding

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3624 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

A friend sent me this today about what's happening in upstate NY near the 5 fingers lakes. I never heard of this in the news. Flash flooding, 5 inches of rain, parking lots ruined, sink holes, semi-trucks uplifted and moved.

The article says there's another big rainstorm coming tonight till tomorrow. The damage is already awful. I'll email him again to see if and how he's been affected, he lives in Cananadiagua, NY., up by the damage.

Wonder if our brothers are affected.  

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2628706/Small-town-Upstate-New-York-washed-disastrous-flash-floods-rain-forecasted-Thursday.html

There are 29 tracking cookies so I'll post the article here,

And this is Spring? Small town in Upstate New York washed out by disastrous flash floods... and even more rain is forecast for Thursday

• Five inches of rainfall caused flash flooding in Central New York, with the most damage hitting the Finger Lakes town of Penn Yan 
  • The rain flooded out homes and businesses and prompted Gov Cuomo to issue a state of emergency
  • More rainfall is expected for Thursday night into Friday and could cause flooding again

Several inches of rainfall wreaked havoc in the Upstate New York town of Penn Yan on Tuesday, causing floods that washed out roads and businesses. 

Governor Andrew Cuomo issued a state of emergency after flash floods swept the 5,000-population town in the picturesque Finger Lakes region last night. 

High-schoolers and Keuka college students helped in the clean-up on Wednesday, but the town is gripping for even more rain later this week. 

article-2628706-1DD726E100000578-28_634x

+14

Aftermath: Cars lined up as the street and sidewalk are damaged after the flood that hit Penn Yan Tuesday night

+14

Penn Yan is a small 5-000-population town located in Upstate New York on one of the Finger Lakes

The flooding happened so fast that Jessi Turner didn't even know what was going on until a family member told her to find safety. 

'I didn't believe grandpa when he came over and said "Jessi, the house is flooding." I looked out my bedroom window and said, oh, right!' Turner told the Chronicle-Express

Turner and her four children had to be rescued by fire fighters from the porch roof of their home. 

Penn Yan Fire Chief Jeff Housel says rescuers had to cut through the walls of a hosue to rescue another family. 

The Turners lost everything in the flood, but believe they will eventually be able to move back into their house. 

Local business owners are feeling the same pain. 

article-2628706-1DD8370100000578-971_634

+14

Smashed: John Paalar, who's van is under the tanker, walks through the mud near Champlin Ave. and Elm St. after the dangerous floowing

article-2628706-1DD8D7A200000578-381_634

+14

Forceful: A truck was moved by the flood waters and landed on top of a truck

article-2628706-1DD838DB00000578-284_634

+14

Washed out: Cars sit in a public parking lot on Elm Street that collapsed under water damage

+

article-2628706-1DD837FC00000578-667_634

+14

Water damage: Tami Rought of Branchport, New York, helps a family get their belongings out of their flood damaged home on Champlin Ave.

Donna Neal owns Angel's Restaurant and says her entire store room was flooded, spoiled all of her stock. 

She also fears that there may be structural damage to the building which could close her restaurant indefinitely .

'For 35 years, this has been my whole life. I never dreamed anything like this could happen,' she said. 

Bill Turner, who owns Once Again Shoppe' had his basement flooded as well - destroying $40,000 worth of toys. 

article-2628706-1DD8385C00000578-108_634

+14

Helping hand: Alan Gottshall, left, of Potter, New York, tries to clear a drain as he helps his uncle, James Babcock of Champlin Ave. deal with flooding and mud

article-2628706-1DD8371100000578-953_634

+14

Seeking shelter: Olivia Rodriguez of Champlin Ave. carries her belongings out of her flooded residence

Some of the toys in the basement were being stored for an annual charity drive which gives toys to 1,100 needy children during Christmas. 

The town banded together on Wednesday to clean up the mess, with local students doing much of the work. 

But the nightmare may not be over yet as even more rain is forecasted for Thursday night into Friday. 

Two to four inches of rain could hit the region with the potential for flash-flooding, according toAccuWeather

The heaviest rains will fall overnight and taper out by Friday afternoon. 

+14

It's not over yet: Even more rain is expected to hit Central New York, starting Thursday night and going into Friday

article-2628706-1DD726CD00000578-247_634

+14

Left behind: People walk around the debris after the flood

+14

article-2628706-1DD7255B00000578-58_634x

+14

Broken: Grant Road is left damaged after being washed out by the Tuesday night flood

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I haven't heard from David yet today. Last night he said it was hovering around 33 or so and the rain was supposed to start again. I'll try to get a response from him today about what's going on over there.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34