JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Spicy Black Bean & Veg. Soup

I'm in the midst of soup canning but I ran out of small white beans so I got the black beans out and decided to do Spicy Black Bean, will do it meatless and add sausage (after butchering in October) later when serving. I find many recipes from Ball Home Canning and Preserving but this one came from allrecipes.com- love that site! So here's what I'm making and canning today. And when it says to take 1/2 the beans and puree, do it. It makes the best soup every time. The richness of flavor from the gravy-like puree is tastebud candy.  

Black Bean Vegetable Soup

Rated:

Submitted By: DeeDee

Photo By: PamMar

Prep Time: 15 Minutes

Cook Time: 35 Minutes

Ready In: 50 Minutes

Servings: 8

"Half of the black beans in this spicy soup are pureed with tomatoes, the other half are simmered with carrots, onion and kernels of corn."

INGREDIENTS:

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

2 carrots, chopped

2 teaspoons chili powder

1 teaspoon ground cumin

4 cups vegetable stock

2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed

and drained

1 (8.75 ounce) can whole kernel corn

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes

DIRECTIONS:

In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, garlic, and carrots, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion is softened. Add chili powder and cumin; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add stock, 1 can of the beans, corn, and pepper; bring to boil.

Meanwhile, in food processor or blender, puree together tomatoes and remaining can of beans; add to pot. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until carrots are tender.

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

• 2 weeks later...

thanks Cheryl ~ awesome recipe :D

I add more garlic, jerk seasoning, italian sausage, and fresh grown cilantro & basil 
   when soup is fully cooked and ready, placing the whole thing into frig overnite thickens it up to

a sauce consistency- like you say 'gravy-like'. then reheat next morning.

somehow soup and chili is tastier the 2nd time around.

when making soup, does anyone else favor using a crock pot?
  lunch is ready immediately when you come home from ministry,
  and those liners make for easy clean up.

appreciate the allrecipes.com... i will check it out B)

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16