JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Breakfast Casserole

Ok, here's another one from me. I love to cook and HATE to eat out. However sometimes I'm forced to in the morning and ya know where it's the fastest Mc.......Well I'm just not having that anymore. I've taken oatmeal and cream of wheat but they're time consuming. 

I was searching for something to throw together for the mornings that's portable and won't gross me out. I can't do onion anymore- I throw up- can't do much grease- get a gut ache- can't do mushrooms- again I'll throw up. So if I made myself an omelet it was too much work everyday. Also I'm trying to be low fat. 

So here's what I came up with and after eating it this morning I'll say it's the BOMB! Has cheese but mostly lo fat variety. And the potatoes I used are the reds. They're low starch and easier to digest. Purple ones are better yet but I can't get past the color.

So here's what I did. 

Heat oven to 350

3 pounds of potato- baked,cooled,grated,placed in oblong pan and browned in a bit of oil in the oven.

chopped red/yellow/green pepper

chopped asparagus

1/2 pound sausage- I had links that I sliced thin and browned slightly (or BACON for those who LOVE it!)

1 quart liquid egg whites. I know, for some of you who haven't tried them don't squish up your nose!

Salt and pepper

red pepper flakes- just 2 pinches

any cheese- I had some parmesan, gouda and sharp cheddar (went easy on this because of the fat)

In a big bowl pour the Qt. of eggs, all veg and sausage and mix together

When the hashbrowns are brown pull the pan out and remove the potatoes - spray the pan with oil and put them back in then dump the egg mixture in and bake until 3/4 done- I don't time anything so say 30 minutes? I'm guessing. Just keep an eye on it. Pull out 15 minutes before done and put your choice of cheese on top and finish baking. I like my cheese to be a little brown, it makes the cheese taste a bit nutty.

Let it cool and cut into sections. I ended up with 8 sections. I take 1 section and a container of peaches with me to work and it's wonderful. And the best thing is that if you take it from the freezer before you leave you don't have to take a ice pack, it'll be a bit frozen still but stays cold until I'm ready for it.  

Here's a pic from the recipe:

Easy-Breakfast-Casserole-1.jpg

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34