JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

"Family Study" and another zinger by Rick

Okay. After living 25 years in LA we moved to Oklahoma and I decided to invite a couple from the KH over where we could get better acquainted. Really, in the back of my mind I was hoping that Rick would hit it off with this other couple and realize that we too could have a great, successful, deliriously happy marriage if only he too would learn the Truth. So after dinner I pulled out the books and I guess you could basically call it an ambush-if you chose to be so unkind--but I was still thinking if I could just force feed him this we would finally see the light and be ever so greatful. My sister lives with us so I said "Margie this will be good for you too. In fact it will be good for all of us." and the couple I had invited over said yes they had been married 5 tears and had never studied that publication and they could benefit by it too. So Rick basically allowed us to read to him and hestitantly joined in the discussion.He was a good enough sport and let us entertain him--- but only so far. We started off with "Two Keys to a successful marriage" chapter and then Rick asked the question how many times have you been married? Rick goes "I know Margie has been married four times( my sister who has been in the Truth 5 years and all marriages were before then) and I know I am Leslie's second husband. Then he indicated the sister who said she had been married twice also==both to witnesses, and her husband said he had been married three times--all to withnesses. So Rick smiled and said "You mean to tell me I am the only one here who has been married once I am not a witness? I think I should be conducting this study." I attempted to kick him under the table and ended up kicking our big lab dog who shrieked in pain. Then everyone started laughing. It was an awkward laugh and I was hugely sorry I set up the trap. We still get a good chuckle out of it from time to time but I will never have a couple come over to study without first running it by him. Why can't I get it---"won without a word?" It seems simple enough--but I get so afraid that he needs a nudge because the time is so short....

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! Man these could be comedy routines or comedy shows............ TO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol2::rockon:>:D<:lol1:
We could write a book, "Rick's Puns and Opinion's"

43945=1905-4.gif

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I'm sure you already know this scripture, as indicated by your comments, but reminders are never bad. 1 Peter 3:1, 2 "In like manner, YOU wives be in subjection to YOUR own husbands, in order that, if any are not obedient to the word, they may be won* without a word* through the conduct of [their] wives, because of having been eyewitnesses of YOUR chaste conduct together with deep respect."

The reference Bible footnote for verse 1 on the word 'won' explains how you literally bring them to Jehovah without uttering a word by your conduct.

The point isn't to let him lord over you, but instead of pushing him into it, let him see how it makes your life positive. The more you grow spiritually, the better your marriage gets. He'll notice. Trust me. Even if he never gets closer to Jehovah, it's really all you can do. The more you try to force feed him, and the more you try to 'nudge' him, the more you'll likely make him keep his distance.

Have you had a frank discussion with him about his wants/goals/desires from your marriage? His spirituality (if wanted)?

If not, perhaps finding a good way to discuss with him without shoving him into a corner. As brought out in our recent district convention, this one sister used to bring up such subjects while giving her husband a good foot and back massage, to make him more receptive and calm. Eventually he became baptized.

If he won't respond to a discussion about it, all you can do is show him by your actions and quiet and mild spirit that Jehovah's course really is the best way. I know it's easier said than done, and it is indeed tough. Just hang in there and lean on Jehovah. He'll take care of you. :-)

I'm sure you already know this scripture' date=' as indicated by your comments, but reminders are never bad. 1 Peter 3:1, 2 [i']"In like manner, YOU wives be in subjection to YOUR own husbands, in order that, if any are not obedient to the word, they may be won* without a word* through the conduct of [their] wives, because of having been eyewitnesses of YOUR chaste conduct together with deep respect." The reference Bible footnote for verse 1 on the word 'won' explains how you literally bring them to Jehovah without uttering a word by your conduct. The point isn't to let him lord over you, but instead of pushing him into it, let him see how it makes your life positive. The more you grow spiritually, the better your marriage gets. He'll notice. Trust me. Even if he never gets closer to Jehovah, it's really all you can do. The more you try to force feed him, and the more you try to 'nudge' him, the more you'll likely make him keep his distance. Have you had a frank discussion with him about his wants/goals/desires from your marriage? His spirituality (if wanted)? If not, perhaps finding a good way to discuss with him without shoving him into a corner. As brought out in our recent district convention, this one sister used to bring up such subjects while giving her husband a good foot and back massage, to make him more receptive and calm. Eventually he became baptized. If he won't respond to a discussion about it, all you can do is show him by your actions and quiet and mild spirit that Jehovah's course really is the best way. I know it's easier said than done, and it is indeed tough. Just hang in there and lean on Jehovah. He'll take care of you. :-)
Nice loving council.

44109=1922-Cartoon_god_cartoon1.gif

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.