JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Looking for private adoption resources

I am thinking about adopting. I love children, and my only son is now 16. However at 35 and with health conditions, getting pregnant is probably a bad idea for me. So I want to look into adoption. I have no idea where to start. Just curious if anyone here has any experience or can guide me in the right direction. It would have to be a private adoption. No agencies or out of the country adoptions. I just want to get more info right now so I can figure out if we can really do this.

If you have anything you can share, I appreciate it!

I know several friends who have adopted children,some of them started with the Foster Care system in US.I don't know where

you are.

Many of the children are available for adoption,but if you are thinking of a baby they can give you advice.I know

a couple who adopted two babies,a brother and sister,through Foster care.

Foster care is a good option also because you have to be interviewed,take classes,really think about your decision in depth.

We had thought of it because I can not have anymore children and I didn't want to raise an only child but c'est la vie.

off the top of my head...I thought that there might be problem with Witnesses adopting because of the blood issue?..

That could be more of an issue if you go through the government public adoptions. I could see in the States where the state adoption agencies might have an issue with that. Private adoptions though are easier, quicker and usually less red tape though.

I've known witnesses who have adopted, but I'm not aware of any of them having this as an issue. But it's also been quite a few years since someone I know who has adopted. Things may have changed.

Best thing with private adoptions is usually to contact a lawyer who specializes in that.

Thank you for the concern. *hug* I have thought about it alot. I had a bible student living with me for a while, and I watched her baby for her while she worked. It was difficult at times but I did it. With the help of my family I'm confident in doing this.

Adoption is a wonderful thing and I commend ones who do this.

If you are 35 and you have some health issues, I would think long and hard before going this route.

To take a child already born who needs a home,to me it's no different

of a decision than whether to get pregnant or not.Same result,right?

I believe in both situations you need a big support system to raise a child.

I have the congregation filled with grandmas and grandpas,aunts and uncles

for my son.It's one of the blessings of being one of Jehovah's people.

Hi Jaylyn,

I am a sister with tree cute children adopted from Cambodia and I have good news for you .There is a yahoo group called JWADOPT and it are all Jehovah,s Witnesses that have adopted one or more children in and out country.It is a big group and you can receive much info and encouragement from them ! Also....one of the sisters now and than has news about a situation where people that want to give their child for adoption are actually searching for a Jehovah,s WITNESS couple to raise their child.This happens more than you think ! If you want I can give you the adress

Vera

Hi Jaylyn,

I am a sister with tree cute children adopted from Cambodia and I have good news for you .There is a yahoo group called JWADOPT and it are all Jehovah,s Witnesses that have adopted one or more children in and out country.It is a big group and you can receive much info and encouragement from them ! Also....one of the sisters now and than has news about a situation where people that want to give their child for adoption are actually searching for a Jehovah,s WITNESS couple to raise their child.This happens more than you think ! If you want I can give you the adress

Vera

Nice to know this.

I think you can just go here and join http://groups.yahoo.com/search?query=jwadopt

if it does not work , please get back to me and I will help you further !

Here is the direct link...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JWAdopt/

Ask if they would like a link on our JW Friendly links pages.

I would like to see this topic develop. I lost a daughter when I was 17 to a forced adoption (long story, really sucks, brings tears, another topic for another time). It was through an agency. My wife and I talk about adopting from time to time, but we are certainly not interested in the red tape or the exorbitant fees. We figure the only way around that is to know or know of someone and work things out independent of any agency.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I think Adoption would be a lovely thing to do.

There was an article in this awake discussing it Ref:- g96 5/8 3-10

It would mean a big commitment that only you would be able to assess that you were capable of. There would no doubt be many blessings and maybe some difficulties as with any child.

I love this scripture :- James 1:27 The form of worship that is clean and undefiled from the standpoint of our God and Father is this: to look after orphans and widows in their tribulation, and to keep oneself without spot from the world.

If i could take a life course that meant I helped an orphan cope with their tribulations then that would be the ultimate for me.

Take care

Simon