JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Easy Chicken Tacos

I am a little late in posting this because we are now without internet at home--trying to cut down expenses where we can--and my ipone key pad is to little for me to type anything accurately. No teling what ingredients I would have you throwing in there.

I usually use a 3# package of boneless chicken breats and since there is usually only the three of us it gives us plenty for another meal or two. Large familes get one meal from the 3# chicken. Rinse the chicken breats well to remove any frost then place them in a crock pot. Pur in 1 12 or 16 oz jar green salsa, salt and pepper to taste, and add 2 tsp ground cumin. Place the lid on and cook on high for 4-5 hrs. Then add 1 can of rinsed and drained white cannelonni beans. Cook on low for another hour then take two forks and shred the chicken. Remove the lid and cook another 30-60 minutes where evaporation will occur. When ready to eat take corn tortillas and put a small amount of oil (1 tablespoon-just enough to coat the bottom of a large skillet and warm the tortillas well--turn and cook on the other side--place the tortillas in foil and wrap them to keep them warm while preparing the remaining tortillas. Serve with sour cream, avacado, shreeded lettuce and montrey jack grated cheese--or pepper jack cheese. These are so simple but the flavors are excellent. The leftovers freeze well. Or better yet make a salad then next night and heat the chicken and place on it with crushed tortilla chips and grated cheese. Or put inbetween two flour tortillas with grated cheese and make quesedillas. Hope you enjoy these as much as our family and friends do.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

That sounds good too. i always like green (tomatillo) based salsa with chicken better than red based salsa. Also the prepared taco seasonings usually have chili powder for the main seasoning and when you just use cumin it takes on a diffrent taste.

Many times I make my own green salsa but that eliminates the "quick and easy" that makes certain recipes such a keeper. If you ever want to make homemade green salsa this is the way I do it. Take about 4 Pabalano peppers, 2-3 jalenepeno peppers, and 4 large onions, and about 2 lbs of tomatillos.

Remove the paper husks from the tomatillos and wash well to remove the sticky residue. Quarter the onions into wedges and leave all the peppers whole. Pour a small amount (1/2 cup) olive in into a large bowl then toss all the vegetables in the oil. Layer the vegetables on a cokkie sheet and roast in the oven at 350 degree for 40-45 mins--it is okay for the pappers to have some dark brown spots. Remove from oven then take the pabalano peppers and place while still hot in a zip lock baggie. Let them steam for 20 minutes while you take the onions, tomatillos, and jalenpenos and chop them in your food processor. Add 1 Tablesoon of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, and 1 tabelspoon of cumin powder, salt and pepper to taste, and a squeeze of lime if you have it. After you remove the pabalno peppers from the bag take a paper towel and rub them removing the outter skin. Make a slit in the length of the pepper and remove the seeds. Pull off the stem and then drop them in the food processor and pulse. Now stir them into the remaining ingredients. This makes a hge bowl but don't worry it will all be gone in no time. This is served with just chips and maragaritas at our house and many people want to make a meal just out of this salsa. Some people are so closed minded they don't want to try "green" salsa and you ask them if they have ever had it and they say no. Then they try it and love it. I use this salsa when I make my white cicken enchiladas.

I am not able to eat alot of tomato based reipes since I have taken chemo. I think it has changed the way I am able to digest food plus all the predinose has taken a toll on my stomach. I do know if I remember to put a pinch of baking soda into marinara sauce I have NO stomach upset becauses it neutaralizes the acid in the tomatoes and does not effect the taste of the sauce.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!