JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Saturday, March 30 ~ Whoever comes out of the door of my house . . . will become Jehovah’s.​—Judg. 11:31.

Saturday, March 30

Whoever comes out of the door of my house . . . will become Jehovah’s.—Judg. 11:31.

When making this vow, Jephthah might well have known that his daughter could be the one who would come out of his house to meet him. Even so, it was an emotionally difficult situation for father and daughter—a real sacrifice for both of them. When he saw her, Jephthah “ripped his garments” and said that his heart was broken. His daughter ‘wept over her virginity.’ Why? Jephthah had no son, and his only daughter would never be able to marry and bear him grandchildren. There would be no way to pass on the family name and legacy. That was not the most important consideration, though. Jephthah said: “I have opened my mouth to Jehovah, and I am unable to turn back.” And his daughter replied: “Do to me as you have promised.” (Judg. 11:35-39) These were loyal individuals who would never have thought of breaking a vow that was made to the Most High God—no matter what it cost them personally.—Deut. 23:21, 23; Ps. 15:4. w17.04 4 ¶5-6

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I love this account, thanks for posting it Sis Vernalee. You are always faithful in this regard and it is very much appreciated...

I have talked with a number of people that believe Jephthah actually killed his daughter as a sacrifice. 

As in killed dead, cut up and burnt to ashes. No matter how much we have explained or reasoned with them they still are blind to the truth from Gods Word... 

Guess I'm not really surprised at that.....