JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Fish Oil Supplements for Cognition (Comprehension/Thinking))

I didn't think it would work but, it really did help.

I have ME/CFS (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) and Fibromyalgia and cognition are greatly impacted with both of these diseases. (ME/CFS impacts multiple body systems and is a systemic disease. The immune system and metabolic function are impacted as well as the neurological system and is considered a neuroimmune disease. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) now has a ME/CFS page. Fibromyalgia is a life-long central nervous system disease.)

Right now I am taking high-quality fish oil in a gel capsule form, four times the recommended dose. This is because the DHA (for cognition) is not as high as say, a lemon flavored fish oil. After five months I felt a better flow of thought and my brain was not stalling and jamming. My cholesterol improved after about a year due to the EPA and even though I do take a low dose of a medication for it, it improved greatly with fish oil.

When I move to PA I am going to switch to a lemon flavored fish oil that many take straight but I will be adding to yogurt; my sister said it tastes like a lemon parfait. The DHA is higher than in the capsule form and I am more interested in getting a high DHA for cognition.

Studies have found that most of the widely available supplements contain little or no mercury, dioxins or PCB's.

• 2 months later...

So true. I do the same as fish oils help cognition and also help joints.

Another good healthy fat source for the brain -  checkout Doctor Mary Newport on Youtube, she researched Coconut oil when her husband with Alzheimers started to improve when he went on a low carbohydrate diet and as humans have MCT oil in breastmilk, she used a well known MCT source in nature - Coconut milk and fat used in infant formula for her husband in his breakfast and cooking other meals.

He had not been able to dress himself or tell the time or even speak his name. When she used the oil every day for a month and he was able to get up and dress himself, learned to speak again. It was documented on a webinar Regain Your Brain with Peggy Sarlin as well. He lived for another few years with much improved brain function. He sadly died in an accident, but the results in the few years since taking Coconut oil were amazing as they were recorded on video and I watched him doing the tests the Doctors set him that he could not do previously. Ignore the theorizing on evolution, it's pointless information. Truth is humans are dual fuel - getting energy from carbohydrate or fats - but only healthy unprocessed fats like fish oils; cold olive oil; avocadoes and nut fats. Grain/seed fats tend to be too processed and easily go to nasty trans-fats in heat and absorb the pesticides and herbicides used in their growth. Animal fats are only good with omega 3s if they are pasture/grass- fed in summer and silage fed in winter. Grain fed/intensive farmed livestock only make inflammatory fats in the wrong Omega 6/9 ratios.

Edited by retroHelen

• 2 years later...