JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Witnesses turn to an atheist doctor for medical care.

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4437 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

On the front page of the L.A. Times website. Discusses how some brothers and sisters were refused medical care for their refusal of accepting blood but have found a renewed hope with a doctor who finds belief in God irrational. There is also a nice photo section that accompanies the article.

A meeting of hearts if not minds (article).

The photo gallery that accompanies the article.

Hi Julie

I think this statement sums it up for me...

"We don't care if he believes in God or not," said David Goldfarb, chairman of the Los Angeles-area Hospital Liaison Committee for the Jehovah's Witnesses. "What we really believe in is, 'Are you a skilled and great doctor … and can you respect our belief system?'"

that is what is needed when having medical treatment...we all stand before Jehovah God...to answer whether we believe in him or not?...

This was a nice article. I like the various individuals they went on to talk about whom he had treated.

I copied over to the Front Page the other night because I thought it was worth sharing on a larger scale too.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I found it a little funny that the article placed a lot of emphasis on the differing belief systems when the larger concern should have been about how human beings are being refused medical care for their religious beliefs. I know it was titled and focused in such a direction just to garner more page views, but I feel it forces readers to view the subject with a narrower and superficial perspective. I understand how doctors may or may not see the support for our beliefs about the blood issue but to automatically write off a human life or mock beliefs is just absurd really. It is an ethical issue.

This was a nice article. I like the various individuals they went on to talk about whom he had treated.

I copied over to the Front Page the other night because I thought it was worth sharing on a larger scale too.

Thanks!

Hi Julie

I think this statement sums it up for me...

Hi Sian! I completely agree with you, when I read that line I was happy the our view of medical care was conveyed so properly.

When a doctor is treating me , I do not ask whether he believes in God or not, or even if he is legally married to his wife/husband..Hey! he/she could even be homosexual or transsexual for all I care.

All I want are two things 1) good medical care & 2) respect for my beliefs and requirements

When a doctor is treating me , I do not ask whether he believes in God or not, or even if he is legally married to his wife/husband..Hey! he/she could even be homosexual or transsexual for all I care.

All I want are two things 1) good medical care & 2) respect for my beliefs and requirements

+1

I had an issue when my son was born. I was being taken to the delivery room, and my doctor was not there, so another doctor came in. I of course was in pain, lol, so I really didn't care who the doctor was, I just wanted my baby out. Anyway, the doctor cleans up and comes up to me and says "I see you are a Jehovah's Witness and you checked the part on refusing blood on the paperwork" I said "yeah, so, why are you bringing this up now as I'm about ready to deliver a child" He replied "I don't agree with your beliefs, but I respect them. I just want you to know that why your conscious will not allow you to take blood, my conscious will not allow me to not give you blood if you need it." So I'm like, great, just what I need as I am minutes from delivering a baby. I requested a new doctor and had to wait while one was found. It was absolutely ridiculous.