JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Getting to know you....

Thought this would be a nice way to get to know eachother!! Esp as im fairly new here...Ill start

Baptised: May 2011

How i got the truth: Was raised as a witness

Have you ever left the truth? : Yes, for 14 years.

Immediate family in truth: my husband, 1 brother and my mum - but have lots of cousins, aunties uncles in the truth and both sets of grandparents were faithful witnesses - all have now passed away :( )

Children: 1 little girl, Elleah who is 16 months old :heart:

Married: Yes. My husbnd is 6 years younger than me and an unbaptised publisher. He had no religious upbringing

something interesting about me: I can play the drums :)

Biggest change(s) ive made: Giving up drug use, deleting half my music playlist B), becoming more mild tempered, no longer lie (i used to lie about stuff all the time - small and big) :huh: Looking back i hate the person i had become before i came back into the truth! :no:

Need to improve: Controlling my temper and being a submissive wife (im getting much better!!)

Biggest change(s) ive made: Giving up drug use, deleting half my music playlist B), becoming more mild tempered, no longer lie (i used to lie about stuff all the time - small and big) :huh: Looking back i hate the person i had become before i came back into the truth! :no:

Need to improve: Controlling my temper and being a submissive wife (im getting much better!!)

Sis, We have a few things in common as I had to give up some music as well... "Earth Wind & Fire" some years ago! I had a little problem with temper issues too! Funny thing! I thought I was not so bad, until I ask my hubby about my disposition and he said that I was as gentle as a "tigress" hmmm...I did not see it that way at all. I am also repetitiously working on submission issues as well. I am making progress as there is so much room for improvement for myself...I think about the shortcomings that I can see, but always wonder about those that go unnoticed by me. - sigh -

• 2 weeks later...

hi, Enjoyed your profile. Mine is on Facebook and Youtube, as Nibowaka1 there. My love to all of you. i have nice videos free if you want. phileo, charlie

Edited to remove email address. Please do not post your email in a public form. If anyone wants Charlie's addy, feel free to PM him.

Sis, We have a few things in common as I had to give up some music as well... "Earth Wind & Fire" some years ago! I had a little problem with temper issues too! Funny thing! I thought I was not so bad, until I ask my hubby about my disposition and he said that I was as gentle as a "tigress" hmmm...I did not see it that way at all. I am also repetitiously working on submission issues as well. I am making progress as there is so much room for improvement for myself...I think about the shortcomings that I can see, but always wonder about those that go unnoticed by me. - sigh -

I always realise in hindsight how i 'should' have behaved / reacted :wall: - its on going each time i promise myself that i wont do it again but i slip up. At least i have improved. Im glad im not the only one with submission issues, although im much better than when i first came back into the truth i fail terribly still at times. Luckily my husband is forgiving :encourage:

Hi, never knew you played the drums, Guy does too!!! Oh we will have to have a jam session in th enew world I'll have a lovely voice by then :raspberry::lol2:

Im newish here to thanks to shanon xx

Im 33

Baptised June 04

I was raised in the truth

Left at 14 but returned again when I was 22

My hubbys in the truth hoping to get baptised soon. My mum sisters, lots of auntys and 2 uncles and cousins.

I have 2 children and a new world baby 2 girls and a boy in total.

Im married to Guy whos 4 yrs older than me.

Something interesting about me? hmmmmmm............................. I collect cups lol Thats it!!! Im very dll and not very talented

Changes? Like you I had to ditch many cds, I loved all kinds of music and kung fo dvds, swearing is an ongoing thing I work hard at as my dad swears alot and have always been brought up with it in my life, I am way better but sometimes I fall short. I am quiet short tempered too, so I struggle with that especially when Im in pain as this makes me worse, but I am way way better than I used to be.

Need to improve? Everything lol I need to be more organised, and I need to improve all the things I said above. What does Jehovah see in me? :perplexed:

Hi Shannon, what a cool way to get to know each other, I enjoyed reading your answers! Some of them are similar to mine :)

Baptised: 25th March, 2006

How i got the truth: From my grandparents and mother but not raised in the truth

Have you ever left the truth? : Well I wasn't baptised at the time but I lost interest for 8 years yes.

Immediate family in truth: Grandparents and Uncle both baptised on my mother's side, my aunt and her husband also on mum's side but only studying, going very well though.

Children: 2 sons, ages are 13 and 9

Married: Yes. My husband is 9 months younger than me, currently studying but also has had no religious upbringing

Something interesting about me: I have a good singing voice but I am way too shy to sing in front of anyone!

Biggest change(s) ive made: My whole way of thinking has been altered since being in the truth, I no longer smoke socially or use bad language either.

Need to improve: Controlling my temper and being a submissive wife (im getting much better!!) I couldn't change this one as they are my weaknesses too!

So Shannon, I wanted to ask how long it took your husband to come into the truth when he had no religious upbringing prior? My husband has been studying for a few years, not always regular though, and at one stage was going really well, coming along to ALL meetings and assemblies and even spoke of baptism, then it just..stopped. :( He says he felt a lack of support at the congregation we go to and also from his study conductor, very long story there! So I'm just interested to know a bit more about your husband's journey into the truth if you don't mind of course:heart:

Welcome also and hope you have fun here:grouphug:

Wow I feel like we all have common answers.

Baptized: June 17, 1995 Houston, TX

How I got the truth: I am a 5th generation Witness, born and raised

Have you ever left the truth: yes, for 7 years

Immediate family in the truth: both parents, grandparents, another grandmother, and countless aunts, uncles and cousins.

Children: 2 kids, Reagan is my 4 yr old daughter and Ethan is 2 1/2 (3 in July)

Married: yes, married 3 years, husband is violently opposed and was raised a Greek Orthodox

Something interesting about me: I'm medically high maintenance, if it's strange or weird regarding health it's probably happened to me but I have a very positive attitude most of the time.

Biggest Changes I've made: I was very go with the flow when I was first with my husband and was afraid to speak my mind, I have had to change that to come back into the truth and quit smoking.

Needs to improve: really need to work on "winning without a word" and staying calm. I'm also OCD and daily try to keep it in check because I tend to be a perfectionist and need to stop the obsessive thinking.

glad to meet you. I send emails to Shark River, Margaret River, etc. I am on facebook. love, charles hitchcock

Let us suppose the congregation is like a classroom of 100 students taught by a teacher, like their Leader. 10 of them are also in the school orchestra and are being taught a new song by the Music teacher. They will present Concerts so all can listen. Among the 10, 2 are very active and belong to the school student council. They receive instructions, news, policy from the principal and pass it on to all the other students. Do you see any parallels? Love, charlie

Baptised: July 4, 1992

How i got the truth: Was raised as a witness

Have you ever left the truth? : Yes, when I was 19, came back about 3 yrs ago.

Immediate family in truth: my wife, 2 kids, wife's aunt and uncle, cousins, mom & dad, the rest of my family refuses to talk to me until I stop being a JW. Guess we'll never talk again, eh?

Children: 2 boys, Michael (10 yrs old), James (9 yrs old)

Married: Yes. My wife, who is baptized and pioneered with me this past month, 15 yrs this coming May

something interesting about me: Once I learn how to work on something, I can do it with my eyes closed.

Biggest change(s) ive made: Giving up smoking, cutting myself away from worldly friends and family (NOT EASY!!!)

Need to improve: Controlling my temper!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Baptised: march 26, 2011

How i got the truth: Was raised "around" the truth. I thought I was in.

Have you ever left the truth? : See previous.

Immediate family in truth: inactive mom.

Children: n/a

Married: searching.

something interesting about me: I had brain surgery a few years ago.

Biggest change(s) ive made: All my friends were worldly, gave up my biggest hobby (a bad movie), had to stop wearing 18 anklets and 3 rings on every finger.

Need to improve: service hours.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow I feel like we all have common answers.

Baptized: June 17, 1995 Houston, TX

How I got the truth: I am a 5th generation Witness, born and raised

Have you ever left the truth: yes, for 7 years

Immediate family in the truth: both parents, grandparents, another grandmother, and countless aunts, uncles and cousins.

Children: 2 kids, Reagan is my 4 yr old daughter and Ethan is 2 1/2 (3 in July)

Married: yes, married 3 years, husband is violently opposed and was raised a Greek Orthodox

Something interesting about me: I'm medically high maintenance, if it's strange or weird regarding health it's probably happened to me but I have a very positive attitude most of the time.

Biggest Changes I've made: I was very go with the flow when I was first with my husband and was afraid to speak my mind, I have had to change that to come back into the truth and quit smoking.

Needs to improve: really need to work on "winning without a word" and staying calm. I'm also OCD and daily try to keep it in check because I tend to be a perfectionist and need to stop the obsessive thinking.

Hi Chanel

Sorry to hear about your husband, it must be very difficult for you, this weeks watchtower study would have been brilliant for you i bet.

All the best sister and thanks for sharing xo

Hi Shannon, what a cool way to get to know each other, I enjoyed reading your answers! Some of them are similar to mine :)

Baptised: 25th March, 2006

How i got the truth: From my grandparents and mother but not raised in the truth

Have you ever left the truth? : Well I wasn't baptised at the time but I lost interest for 8 years yes.

Immediate family in truth: Grandparents and Uncle both baptised on my mother's side, my aunt and her husband also on mum's side but only studying, going very well though.

Children: 2 sons, ages are 13 and 9

Married: Yes. My husband is 9 months younger than me, currently studying but also has had no religious upbringing

Something interesting about me: I have a good singing voice but I am way too shy to sing in front of anyone!

Biggest change(s) ive made: My whole way of thinking has been altered since being in the truth, I no longer smoke socially or use bad language either.

Need to improve: Controlling my temper and being a submissive wife (im getting much better!!) I couldn't change this one as they are my weaknesses too!

So Shannon, I wanted to ask how long it took your husband to come into the truth when he had no religious upbringing prior? My husband has been studying for a few years, not always regular though, and at one stage was going really well, coming along to ALL meetings and assemblies and even spoke of baptism, then it just..stopped. :( He says he felt a lack of support at the congregation we go to and also from his study conductor, very long story there! So I'm just interested to know a bit more about your husband's journey into the truth if you don't mind of course:heart:

Welcome also and hope you have fun here:grouphug:

Hi Mel,

Glad im not alone on the whole submissive thing! Im happy to report that since i posted this thread, with Jehovahs help i have greatly improved.....ive had to change my whole way of thinking and attitude, i hope it continues :D

I know what you mean about ur whole way of thinking has changed since u came back into the truth. You really do have to 'put on the new personality' dont you? well i sure did!

Re: My husband, exactly the same situation as you! Wow! His acceptance of the truth was instant (see my profile) and was like your hubby very involved to begin with, attending all the meetings, pre study, taking the lead and also talking about baptism etc. But since starting his job In Oct last year (he was at Tafe prior to that) its gone downhill as he is just soo tired all the time and he struggles with feelings of unworthiness.

He has since become an unbaptised publisher but isnt very actice although he did come out this weekend which was nice and is also studying with a friend from his work, but his meeting attendance is very poor (i think he has been to 2 meetings in 4 months :( ) and he does NO pre study anymore. I just try and set a good example, encourage him and not make a big deal out of him saying 'he is not coming to the meeting', i just try and support him. He absolutely believes its the truth but he has just become stagnant. Im sure he will pick up again. Also he is only 25 so is quite young. Im sure in his own time he will get there. Its upsets me but i just pray to Jehovah about it alot.

He has done some bad things in his life and has struggled with a few issues since he started studying so his main problem has been feeling like he is not worthy....which i think is why he hasnt made that step of baptism just yet and is struggling so much. My brother is an elder so he is ytrying to hepl him too as they get along very well.

Another plus is our family worship night has become more regualr again the past few weeks which i greatly appreciate!!

Im here anytime u need to chat as i completely understand how u feel. xox