JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Are There Any Vegans On This Site?

Mostly, I will make it as suntea, that is the best. Never use a microwave, we haven't had that for almost 15 years. Use only cast iron skillets and stainless steel pans. When I had Chemically induced Renal Failure, I began cleaning out chemicals from my life as well. Soaps, non stick cook ware, plastics, fabric dryer sheets are notorious toxic waste product that we would breath in with our clothes and bedding. If you use "green" laundry detergents after a few washes you no longer need dryer sheets anyway. I do put those laundry balls in the dryer to bounce around. We hang our clothes out a lot down here and just fluff them a few min. in the dryer. When you get ill that can make you do some investigating and you find out how much we are killing ourselves. To a certain degree we are trapped in a system that is going down hill in a spiral. If the end doesn't come...no flesh would be saved. I can see how Satan has been able to use a poluted enviornment to make us all sick and tired so it is hard to preach. Nice try, we do it anyway!

Not a vegan or a vegetarian, though I eat very little meat. We have a huge garden, so we can and freeze. Visit farmers market for more organic products. Buy free range eggs and now have a pig!

:offtopic: A little off topic, but I'm looking for a source for Kefir. You can buy it in the store, but it's some nasty tasting stuff. My aunt grows her own and says it's very good, and has completely cured her irritable bowel syndrome. Would have to go to Ohio to get a start and have been unable to find a local source. Anybody know of how to start your own???

:offtopic: A little off topic, but I'm looking for a source for Kefir. You can buy it in the store, but it's some nasty tasting stuff. My aunt grows her own and says it's very good, and has completely cured her irritable bowel syndrome. Would have to go to Ohio to get a start and have been unable to find a local source. Anybody know of how to start your own???

You should probably start a new thread for that, so more people see it in the list of topics here in Food & Drink. Not everyone will read the vegan thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Lisa, you can order packets of kefir starter from places like bodyecology.com. It is a powder and not the true kefir grains. On the other hand you have to keep buying it when you run out.

There are quite a few sellers on Etsy selling kefir grains. http://www.etsy.com/search?q=kefir&view_type=gallery&ship_to=ZZ&min=0&max=0 If you take good care of them they will grow and you won't have to keep buying them.

Donna

Lisa, you can order packets of kefir starter from places like bodyecology.com. It is a powder and not the true kefir grains. On the other hand you have to keep buying it when you run out.

There are quite a few sellers on Etsy selling kefir grains. http://www.etsy.com/search?q=kefir&view_type=gallery&ship_to=ZZ&min=0&max=0 If you take good care of them they will grow and you won't have to keep buying them.

Donna

:) Thanks so much. Never thought of trying Etsy. We don't want the powder, we want to grow our own.