JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Monday, May 9 Unify my heart to fear your name.​—Ps. 86:11.

Monday, May 9

Unify my heart to fear your name.—Ps. 86:11.

A sports team that is united is more likely to have success than one that is not. Your heart can be like that successful team if your thoughts, desires, and emotions are united in serving Jehovah. Remember, Satan would love to divide your heart. He wants your thoughts, desires, and emotions to be at odds and in conflict with Jehovah’s standards. You, however, need your heart to be whole in order for you to serve Jehovah. (Matt. 22:36-38) Never let Satan divide your heart! Pray to Jehovah as did David: “Unify my heart to fear your name.” Make it your aim to live up to that prayer. Each day, be determined that your decisions, from small to great, show that you hold Jehovah’s holy name in profound awe. In so doing, as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, you will reflect well on that name. (Prov. 27:11) And all of us will be able to say, along with the prophet Micah: “We will walk in the name of Jehovah our God forever and ever.”—Mic. 4:5. w20.06 13 ¶17-18

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

15 minutes ago, Anniebea said:

Never let Satan divide your heart!

Satan bets on it.

He is targeting our hearts very hard, because he knows if our heart is divided he can split it even more.

It's an old tactic that he uses for centuries.  

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

6 minutes ago, Michelle81 said:

I honestly don't understand the scripture. :( 

It's ok. Whenever a scripture is not clear to me, I normally click on the gems diamond on that verse. There are some good reference WT articles explaining the scripture more clearly. It often helps understand what thought is being emphasized, and lessons or points we can take from it in our own personal lives.

May I ask what it is about the scripture that seems confusing?

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

16 minutes ago, Michelle81 said:

I honestly don't understand the scripture. :( 

Our heart can be "divided" pulling us towards things that can damage our relationship with Jehovah.

Psalmists asks Jehovah for help in this regard.

See Watchtower reference. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

1 hour ago, New World Explorer said:

See Watchtower reference

*** w20 June  “Unify My Heart to Fear Your Name” ***

17 A divided heart is of little value. Imagine that a sports team has members who do not get along with one another. Some want glory only for themselves, a few do not want to play by the rules, and a number treat the coach with contempt. A team like that is unlikely to win a match. In contrast, a team that is united is more likely to have success. Your heart can be like that successful team if your thoughts, desires, and emotions are united in serving Jehovah. Remember, Satan would love to divide your heart. He wants your thoughts, desires, and emotions to be at odds and in conflict with Jehovah’s standards. You, however, need your heart to be whole in order for you to serve Jehovah. (Matt. 22:36-38) Never let Satan divide your heart!
https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=2020444&srctype=wol&srcid=share&par=25

39 minutes ago, happiness IS said:

*** w20 June  “Unify My Heart to Fear Your Name” ***

17 A divided heart is of little value. Imagine that a sports team has members who do not get along with one another. Some want glory only for themselves, a few do not want to play by the rules, and a number treat the coach with contempt. A team like that is unlikely to win a match. In contrast, a team that is united is more likely to have success. Your heart can be like that successful team if your thoughts, desires, and emotions are united in serving Jehovah. Remember, Satan would love to divide your heart. He wants your thoughts, desires, and emotions to be at odds and in conflict with Jehovah’s standards. You, however, need your heart to be whole in order for you to serve Jehovah. (Matt. 22:36-38) Never let Satan divide your heart!
https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=2020444&srctype=wol&srcid=share&par=25

I understand the "unified" part.  I'm struggling with the "fear" part a little.  I understand though a healthy fear of Jehovah is vital because of His power. I think it helps us remember to stay within His standards out of love AND fear. I maybe place too much emphasis on love and need to gain more fear. 

Edited by Michelle81

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101998007#h=1:0-17:286

The Bible’s Viewpoint

How Can You Fear a God of Love?

“HAPPY IS THE MAN IN FEAR OF JEHOVAH.”—Psalm 112:1.

In most languages a single word can have various shades of meaning, depending on the context. For instance, in some languages one may say: “I love ice cream” and also, “I love my children.” There is a great difference in the intensity of and types of love being expressed. Similarly, the Bible speaks of different types of fear. When it uses the word in connection with worshiping God, it is not referring to terror, fright, or a sense of impending punishment. Rather, the fear of God conveys healthful feelings—awe, reverence, and deep respect. These noble emotions are coupled with love for and attraction toward God, not an instinct to flee or hide from him.

The fear of God motivates us to do good and also to refrain from doing what God says is bad. Our relationship with our heavenly Father may be compared to that of a good human father with his children. At times, children may not remember why their father forbids them to play in the street. Still, when they feel the impulse to chase a ball into the path of traffic, the thought of their father’s prohibition holds them back—possibly saving them from death. Likewise, an adult’s fear of Jehovah may restrain him from committing an act that could ruin lives—his own and those of others.—Proverbs 14:27.

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11