JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Wedding Invitations - groom or bride name first?

3 hours ago, janthonyg said:

Would love your input as to who should have their name first on wedding invitations.

Clearly, there aren't scriptural principles specific to this. But I was having a conversation on this subject and two friends had opposite opinions.

I think this is a personal choice.

There is no right or wrong order.

The couple can decide what order they would like to have on their wedding invitation.

And I would say that we might even say that the Bible supports this.

If you search for couples in the Bible, that follow the pattern: [name and name], you get 8 results. (If I got all of them)

What do we see? A perfect split between the two possibilities. Jehovah switched Priscilla and Aquila up once, producing this result:

Male followed by female = 4 times

Female followed by male = 4 times

- "Isaac and Rebekah" (Gen 26:35) 

- "Abraham and his wife Sarah" (Gen 49:31) 

- "Abraham and Sarah" (Gen 18:11) 

- "Priscilla and Aquila" (Acts 18:26) 

- "Prisca and Aquila" (Rom 16:3) 

- "Priscilla and Aquila" (Acts 18:18) 

- "Aquila and Prisca" (1 Cor 16:19) 

- "Prisca and Aquila (2 Tim 4:19) 

Edited by Br. Ice

At my wedding, my wife and I decided to put the name of the head of the family first (in this case me) on the decorations we managed to make. However, the person who decorated the car put my wife's name first (didn't respect our wishes).

However, we went to several weddings of Christian friends and some chose to put the bride's name first in the decoration. Therefore, it is a matter of personal decision.

Does it really matter ? I don't think anyone will be missing the gates of paradise over this 🤖

We have to stop thinking legalistically over everything, it's what the Pharisees did when they wrote the Talmud. They added to the word of Jehovah 

Edited by Jwanon

3 hours ago, Jwanon said:

Does it really matter ?

It might to your bride to be, lol :D

3 hours ago, Jwanon said:

We have to stop thinking legalistically over everything

Umm, the original poster did say....

20 hours ago, janthonyg said:

Clearly, there aren't scriptural principles specific to this. But I was having a conversation on this subject and two friends had opposite opinions.

A quick Bing Search shows that traditionally the bride's name is mentioned before the groom's name. But it's really personal opinion, and we as Jehovah's people tend to shirk human traditions anyway :)

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

The reason I've been told that  its traditionally the bride's name first is the brides family usually pays for the wedding, so they are the host. This is not always the case however.

My son wanted to pay for all of his upcoming wedding himself so his bride and he could make ALL of the decisions ,which has been a remarkable relief to both sets of parents 😁 

We also have to remember that just because something is a tradition, it doesn't mean it's always bad. Sometimes, some tradition are okay to keep.

*** w23 February p. 29 I Have Seen Faithful Ones Thrive ***
The Nigerian culture was new to us, and we had much to learn. On one occasion, a brother came to my office to introduce a sister who had just been accepted to Bethel. As I reached out to shake her hand, she prostrated herself at my feet. I was stunned! Two scriptures flashed through my mind: Acts 10:25, 26 and Revelation 19:10. I wondered, ‘Should I tell her not to do that?’ At the same time, I realized that she had been accepted to Bethel; she knew what the Bible teaches.
Awkwardly, I muddled through the rest of the introduction and then did some research. I learned that the sister had acted in accord with a traditional custom that at the time was still practiced in some parts of the country. Men would prostrate themselves in the same way. It was a way of showing respect. It was not worship; there are Scriptural precedents. (1 Sam. 24:8) I was glad that I had not, in my ignorance, said anything that might embarrass my sister.
https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=2023282&srctype=wol&srcid=share&par=26-27

Even though one may decide to, for example, go with the “tradition” of keeping the bride’s name first, they could base their reasoning from the scriptures where the wife’s name is written first, in a post that Brother Isaac posted above. Exactly same could be same for the opposite too, of course, since the Bible also provides the example for the opposite situation.

The above experience tell us we may want to consider local tradition. How does the people usually do in our local area? Is there a specific reason why we must do things in a different way to attract the attention to ourselves?