JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Pineapple plant

Good evening online Family,

I bought a pineapple and I want to plant the top of it and see if I can grow a pineapple plant. My husband was an arborist and he was going to show me how to do it, but our daughter in law threw the top away and he never got to show me how. I thought maybe with so many members just maybe someone else has tried it before? And might be able to give me some tips? The pineapple is really starting to smell good, so it is about ready to cut and eat. Wished I could share it with you all.

philia, teresa

If you happen to have a pineapple on hand to eat, (and they are abundant and cheap during the late spring and summer months), then why not take a few minutes and grow your own pineapple plant from the discarded top?

As long as you have a sunny window and a moderate indoor climate you can grow your own. Don't expect a large harvest. Each plant produces one fruit and yours will never grow to the size of a full grown Hawaiian-farmed plant, unless you do live in a tropical climate.

A fruit that is green and fresh picked is best. But, since it is unlikely that you would want to eat such a fruit, try to find one that is ripe but not overripe. Test for ripeness by gently pulling on a leaf. If it pops out with ease, the fruit is overripe.

I would have never even known you could grow a pineapple plant using the top of a pineapple. Definitely sounds interesting. I might just google it myself and buy a pineapple ;)

Activity here comes in waves. It's strange :-)

- Bob

CarnivoreTalk.com - my health coaching website. youtube.png/@CarnivoreTalk - My latest YouTube project

I grew one and had a baby!!!! All I did was cut the top off....stuck it in the ground and put a little miricle grow on it and left it there. It takes 2 years to grow a baby but it did and I ate the baby....Yummy!!!! It was great! Of course, I lived in S. Florida so it could stay outside all year long and got watered frequently with the rain, but hey...it worked for me! I hope it will work for you, too!!!!!

Margie....all I did was cut the top off and stick it in the ground. I didn't dry anything or even wash it....Just put it in the dirt...then added a little Miracle Grow. I don't know how well it will do being in a different climate and in a pot, but give it a try and let us know how iit does.