JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Puppy free if you want her!!!!

Well we decided to buy a puppy after 2 yrs of debating about it. She is lovely.......by day, at night, well that all chanes, she is a monkey up howling and yelping all night long. We have tried sleeping on the sofa near the crate, a warm blanket, ignoring her, tonight we are trying a clock under her bed. We are at our wits end, since picking her up on fri we have had no sleep and are completely shattered. The breeder said ignore her she can last 8 hrs without a bathroom break, we did that last night, and she pood 3 times and threw up with the stress.

I dont know what else to do do you have any tips? I would give her back but the children will be devastated, so thats not an option.

Pleeeeeaaaaaase help!!!!!

What kind of dog is she ?? normally I ignore a puppy howling... once you give in you will have them sleeping in your room... on your bed, (unless you want her to ?) sometimes it is a difficult few nights. Every time she see's you coming into the room to calm her down it then starts all over again :(

I do have to say a word of caution about crates... I have tried a crate with one dog and it made her VERY territorial over her crate space... in the end I took the crate away and she got over her possessiveness, I never use a crate now....

How about exercise, that normally tires puppies out ??

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

I do have to say a word of caution about crates... I have tried a crate with one dog and it made her VERY territorial over her crate space... in the end I took the crate away and she got over her possessiveness, I never use a crate now....

I have had three dogs, used crates and found them to be awesome.

Using a crate helped all my dogs learn to do their business outside. Dogs normally will not go in their crate. The crate though can't be too big. If they have too much room, they will be able to poop in one end and then sleep on the other side.

Well we decided to buy a puppy after 2 yrs of debating about it. She is lovely.......by day, at night, well that all chanes, she is a monkey up howling and yelping all night long. We have tried sleeping on the sofa near the crate, a warm blanket, ignoring her, tonight we are trying a clock under her bed. We are at our wits end, since picking her up on fri we have had no sleep and are completely shattered. The breeder said ignore her she can last 8 hrs without a bathroom break, we did that last night, and she pood 3 times and threw up with the stress.

I dont know what else to do do you have any tips? I would give her back but the children will be devastated, so thats not an option.

Everything you described sounds like all puppies. I have had 3 dogs, and this was how they acted. It takes time, lots of it, for the puppy to settle down. They are like human babies, you just have to get through the rough times.

Try dog obedience classes, that is very beneficial. Also try puppy socialization classes. That is also very beneficial.

If you are using a crate, make sure it's big enough for the puppy to stand up and turn around, but not too big where she has plenty of space to poop and then sleep on the other side. Do some research about crate training.

As to her howling at night, that is normal, and yes, you have to ignore it.

Make sure the puppy is given a long walk before you and your family are ready for bed. Do not feed the puppy after dinner time, and give it very little water. By having it's last feeding say at 5 pm, and then if you go to bed say at 10 pm, that will help. If you go to bed at 10 pm, take the puppy for a nice long walk at about 9 pm. When the puppy comes home from it's walk, let the puppy have a little water, not alot though, just enough to quench his thirst.

Right now, this is normal behavior, so you have two choices, deal with it or get rid of the puppy.

Also, praise the puppy and use rewards when he does something good/right. When you see the puppy poop outside look down at him and say "good boy, good boy, good boy" then give him a treat. When you take the puppy outside, you step outside first. You make him sit, then stay, then you walk outside, then you make him stay, and after a minute you say "come" if he listens and obeys, give him a treat.

There are tons of websites on the internet that will help you with dog obedience. You are the ALPHA, remember that. If the puppy sees even a chance to become the alpha, you have to stomp it out right away. You are in charge, not the puppy.

What kind of puppy is she and how old? An 8 or 9 week-old puppy will not go 8 hours through the night. Even a 10 week old puppy will not usually go that long. They usually need a pee-break through the night, after about 3-5 hours. This will continue for a couple weeks till your puppy develops better bladder control.

Also, as others have mentioned, the crate must not be too large. You can put a cardboard box or divider in the crate if it is too big. That should help. :)

• 2 weeks later...

When we got our current dog as a puppy, we crate trained her at night. We would go to bed, and put the crate in the bedroom where the puppy could look out and see that we were there. When we initially put her in the crate and she would whine, we would tell her "no, quiet". However, when she wimpered in the middle of the night, my wife would get up and take her outside. And believe me, it was something ridiculous like every other hour (better her than me, lol!).

Anyhow, she has seldom had a disaster indoors, only a couple times when sick. She does not sleep in a crate anymore but has free reign of the house.

Basically, it is hard work, but it does not last forever and it does pay off. There is nothing like a k9 companion in my book!

We picked up a lot of good tips from Victoria Stilwell's "It's Me or the Dog!"...

http://animal.discovery.com/tv/its-me-or-dog/

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I lost the thread I put. Quick update, Poppy is doing really well going through the night. We are fighting over top dog at the moment and she is really trying hard to be the leader of this pack. But neither me or GUy are letting that happen, so theres a wrestle between her and the 2 children.

She's very settled and adorable, bit bitey but we are getting through that, although I did have to go to the meeting today with my nose covered in blood from her over excitement to see me and scratching me the little monkey!!