JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

It's interesting how a mother tongue works.

For me, English is just a foreign language.

(foreign language - one that one learns in a land where that language is not spoken. Second language- one that someone learns where that language is actually spoken and used) 

I've spend a long time reading and writing in English but still I don't know how English feels. 

I know how it sounds, I know how it MIGHT sound 

But I don't know how it impresses people who speak as their mother tongue.

That's why sometimes I might sound rude or too straightforward. 

A language is in fact just a set of different words.. different sounds..

But these sounds somehow create impressions and feelings for you guys.

For me, it doesn't.

So I think during a baby period, one's brain's working really hard to absorb every sound he/she hears to incorporate into his mother tongue

so that a set of sound patterns he/she repeatedly hears becomes a language.  (this is proven by how one distinguishes certain sound/pronunciation patters as his/her mother tongues)

Or when kids who moved to Israel in the modern history suddenly started to perceive Hebrew they were learning as their mother tongue.

For example, there are many borrowed words in Korean from English, but almost everyone in Korea knows that coffee, TV, phone are borrowed words because such sound patterns do not exist in Korean. 

Words (and their sounds) that are meaningless in non-Koreans brains have such important impressions and meanings for Koreans that when they are gathered in numbers, they become a language.

I think someone can express this more fluently or professionally, but anyway, for me, it's a miracle from Jehovah. 

Edited by Hotteok

• 3 weeks later...

It's really an interesting sensation.

A pattern or a set of sounds have feelings in you guys.

Of course, for me too, words such as love, hate, do create feelings but not as strongly.

It's like I'm a using linguistic microscope trying to looking into another world. 

On 8/3/2023 at 3:43 AM, Dages said:

I can't wait to experience "pure language" in paradise and compare with how I "feel" french :D 

Will you be able to completely forget French? 

Edited by Hotteok