JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Need Some Advice Please

First off,  let me say that I'm in public housing in Wisconsin.  So it's owned and operated by the federal government  (HUD)   

Back in July I asked my landlord for a reasonable accommodation under the Fair Housing Act.( https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/fair_housing_equal_opp/reasonable_accommodations_and_modifications#:~:text=The Fair Housing Act makes,public and common use areas. }

I asked for an apartment that has a downstairs and upstairs bathroom with a letter from my doctor deeming it necessary due to health issues.  My landlord is ignoring my phone calls and emails regarding this matter.  

I currently live in a 2 bedroom apartment that has two floors.  Downstairs is the kitchen and living room.  Upstairs is 2 bedrooms and a full bath.   A 2 bedroom apartment doesn't have a downstairs bathroom.   But a 3 and 4 bedroom apartment does.  They both have a half a bathroom downstairs and a full bathroom upstairs.    

I have written a letter to HUD (Housing & Urban Development in Milwaukee) requesting them to please look into why I haven't heard from the housing office.    I haven't heard anything from them. 

Does anyone know what my next steps would be?   Who would I contact to get this resolved?  

Edited by Lori

Know that Jehovah is God. He is the one who made us, and we belong to him.

Psalm 100:3

Is there a housing authority you can contact? Who is the property manager by? Not the onsite manager but the company? You may have to contact a legal aid or lawyer. I would also check with hud.gov if the property qualifies.

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

1 hour ago, DancesWithWife said:

Is there a housing authority you can contact? Who is the property manager by? Not the onsite manager but the company? You may have to contact a legal aid or lawyer. I would also check with hud.gov if the property qualifies.

The landlord is a housing authority. It's low income housing that I live in.

I found this contact info, maybe you will have more success making a phone call and/or email?

OFFICE OF THE FIELD OFFICE DIRECTOR: WISCONSIN

Milwaukee Field Office
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
310 West Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 950
Milwaukee, WI 53203-2289

Phone: (414) 297-3214
Fax: (414) 935-6775
TTY: (414) 297-1423

Email or call our staff. To email, just click on the name below.

Name Title Phone
Dale A. Darrow Field Office Director (414) 297-3214
Claire E. Hackett Program Analyst (414) 935-6605
Debora A. Smith Management Analyst (414) 935-6604

Perhaps you could check with the elders in your congregation. They may be familiar with others in the congregation, or nearby congregations, who are in a similar situation as you. I used to have family in Wisconsin, but since I have never lived there I have no direct knowledge of what provisions are available there. But the local perspective of the elders there may give them some insight about Wisconsin that the rest of us don't have.

Edited by Sheep

3 minutes ago, Sheep said:

Perhaps you could check with the elders in your congregation. They may be familiar with others in the congregation, or nearby congregations, who are in a similar situation as you. I used to have family in Wisconsin, but since I have never lived there I have no direct knowledge of what provisions are available there. But the local perspective of the elders there may give them some insight about Wisconsin that the rest of us don't have.

Okay thanks 

9 hours ago, Esined said:

I found this contact info, maybe you will have more success making a phone call and/or email?

OFFICE OF THE FIELD OFFICE DIRECTOR: WISCONSIN

Milwaukee Field Office
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
310 West Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 950
Milwaukee, WI 53203-2289

Phone: (414) 297-3214
Fax: (414) 935-6775
TTY: (414) 297-1423

Email or call our staff. To email, just click on the name below.

Name Title Phone
Dale A. Darrow Field Office Director (414) 297-3214
Claire E. Hackett Program Analyst (414) 935-6605
Debora A. Smith Management Analyst (414) 935-6604

I wrote them a letter last week already.   Thanks 

On 9/25/2023 at 9:18 PM, Lori said:

I wrote them a letter last week already.   Thanks 

What I mean is that a phone call or email might get you farther than a letter. Emails might get somewhat more immediate attention from a higher up person. People in charge don’t open letters. It’s easier for a letter to get lost in the shuffle and not be acted on.

On 9/27/2023 at 8:01 AM, Esined said:

What I mean is that a phone call or email might get you farther than a letter. Emails might get somewhat more immediate attention from a higher up person. People in charge don’t open letters. It’s easier for a letter to get lost in the shuffle and not be acted on.

I'll have to call them on Monday.