JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Coffee, tea, water or something else

I just read a report that said Americans, drink more coffee than water. The article made this comment "

offee consumption has soared to a two-decade high as Americans brew up new post-COVID routines, according to exclusive consumer polling released this morning (Tuesday) by the National Coffee Association (NCA).

66% of Americans now drink coffee each day, more than any other beverage including tap water and up by nearly 14% since January 2021, the largest increase since NCA began tracking data." -Coffee consumption hits two-decade high (ncausa.org)

We have many members all over the world, so what is your beverage of choice each day? I was one of those who drank more coffee than water or any other drink. It recently caused severe health issues for me as I became severely dehydrated. Not a wise decision at my age of 65. So, how much water should I drink? 

For men, the Institute of Medicine recommends a total of 13 cups (about 3 liters) of fluid each day.

For women, they suggest 9 cups (a little over 2 liters) of fluid each day.

Pregnant women should drink about 10 cups of water daily.

Those who breastfeed need about 12 cups.

I am not a medical expert, each person must choose how much water, sports drinks, low fat milk, fruits and vegetable to consume to stay hydrated. I have cut back, actually way back on coffee. I have maybe 2-3 cups per week, instead of a day. I try to drink cranberry juices with no sugar and have increased my water intake. 

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

When I wake up in the morning I have a cup of hot water, nothing in it, just hot tea water without the tea. I do that to help rehydrate first thing in the morning. Then I have at least one cup of coffee with protein powder, I use to have matcha tea but I switched to coffee. Sometimes I would have a second cup of coffee mid morning but I realized that I wasn't drinking enough water and I drinking coffee to overcome the lack of energy that was being caused by dehydration. So lately I have been using a sport drink tablet in my bottle of water and start drinking it right after breakfast. I have more energy and don't feel the desire to drink more coffee.

Google Nuun tablets.

https://nuunlife.com/products/nuun-sport?variant=31464314732580

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I drink plenty of water from the moment I get up.

However, generally I add other things to it to make it palateable, such as coffee, milk, barley, malt, hops, yeast, corn, rye, fruits, sugar, and honey to flavour it, and also carbon dioxide gas to make my nose tickle.

Edited by Pabo

2 hours ago, Pabo said:

I drink plenty of water from the moment I get up.

However, generally I add other things to it to make it palateable, such as coffee, milk, barley, malt, hops, yeast, corn, rye, fruits, sugar, and honey to flavour it, and also carbon dioxide gas to make my nose tickle.

So....you drink beer and soda...🤣

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 9/25/2023 at 12:38 PM, Tortuga said:

When I wake up in the morning I have a cup of hot water

You know.... I have prided myself that I can find great satisfaction in cheap and weak coffee. All my friends with their high end extreme coffee tastes..I figured Ohhhh I shalt go thru the Great Tribulation with ease on weak coffee whilst my brethen suffer , because of  their addiction to high Fahlootin Coffees. 

Then I run across a man named Tortuga , who has the ability to drink solely Hot Water. 

I have been beaten! 😂

9 minutes ago, Tsheppar said:

Then I run across a man named Tortuga , who has the ability to drink solely Hot Water.

I started drinking hot water years ago when I worked nightshift. I found that drinking Coffee would make it difficult for me to sleep when I got home in the morning. If I drank coffee at night I would have to drink more each night to stay awake. So I started drinking hot water instead, I would drink it the same temperature as coffee or tea. I found that it would help keep me awake at night but I didn't have any problem sleeping when I got home. Its like drinking an herbal tea but without the flavor and sweetner.

Edited by Tortuga