JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Paradise Restored (Part Two)

Timl1980

A soft gentle summer breeze whispered into the spacious banquet room through several windows at once, immediately causing everyone present to pause in their individual conversations and inhale the sweet fragrances of various fruits and flowers. Then, as one, they glanced around at each other and started to marvel all over again at their heightened senses...fresh rounds of excited exclamations and praises to Jehovah bursting into existence like fireworks in a night sky.

The conversations turned and twisted...punctuated by the occasional person striding into the room and revealing fresh news of various resurrections and other notable events.

In the back of the room, seated together on a sizable and comfortable easy chair and surrounded by immediate family...sat myself and my wife, Carol...our hands firmly enmeshed as Carol leaned against my chest as if I would disappear. 

Our stomachs full, we had retired to the back of the room just to get a little bit of privacy. Over the last few hours other families had streamed in and eaten as well...the sheer number of stories and information had started to overwhelm both of us...and I could tell my Carol, while enjoying the flood of information...was becoming overstimulated...so we quietly made a move to the rear of the room, where we had been for the past few hours.

Speculations were running high among all the friends streaming in... talks of people getting ready to move out and find out what their assignments might be were flitting around like brightly colored butterflies...the mere mention of a possible assignment sparked rumors that lit up the room like a lightning bolt.

Amid all the joy and laughter, I simply sat...my heart overrunning with joy...my every sense attuned to the beautiful woman in front of me. Her every move brought back a memory, her laughter...even her sighs sent my heart racing and shivers running up and down my spine. My love...my dear wife...quickly I buried my face in her hair...and would have stayed there had I not suddenly realized that someone had crossed the banquet hall and was now standing squarely in front of me.

Glancing up, I saw a man standing there, a gentle smile radiating over his entire face...and even as I felt a twinge of irritation for this interruption...I smiled back and asked what I could do for him.

“You're Matt, right? Matthew West?”

Nodding, I sat up and partially disengaged from Carol...suddenly aware that others had stopped their conversations and were now listening attentively.

“I'm Brother Parks, and I've been asked to find you. The brothers have spoken very highly of you...your love for the friends is well known...and I have been asked to take you and your wife to your new assignment.”

“My...new...assignment?” I repeated dumbly, looking at my wife in disbelief before returning my gaze to him.

“Yes, my brother. Jehovah is bringing people back, and we need the assistance of brothers such as yourself. Will you come?” He asked gently, stepping back and sweeping his arms towards the door.

I hesitated, glancing at my dear wife with a questioning gaze.

“Well...let's go, honey!” She said, her eyes bright and warm. “Who knows what Jehovah has in store for us? Let's find out...together!”

Taking her hand as we rose to our feet...I nodded firmly at the brother and headed for the door with him in the lead. I had no idea where this was going to lead, I thought as we exited the banquet hall and strode out into the evening beyond, but I knew my God...and I trusted in him fully. 

Carol let out a sharp gasp as we exited the hall and strolled outside, our eyes suddenly adjusting to the sudden darkness and turning heavenwards as we instantly halted, transfixed by a night sky so brilliantly lit by stars I nearly staggered in utter awe. 

“Beautiful, isn't it?” The brother asked gently, slowing to a halt and joining them in their open awe and admiration as his own gaze sought the wonderful display of beauty all around them. 

“Beautiful...doesn't begin to do this justice! Oh, Matt...!” Breathed my wife as she wrapped her arms around me and softly began to cry.

“Matthew, would you like to address Jehovah in prayer for us?” Brother Parks asked, turning to face both of us in the twinkling starlight. “He has missed you dearly...and Carol as well.”

He said, indicating my wife. “Please, he has missed your voice. He's missed you both.” He added, patting my wife gently on the shoulder. “Please, Matthew...offer a prayer to Jehovah...he's listening.” He said sincerely, giving me an encouraging nod. “Then, I will take you to your new assignment. Trust me, you're going to love it!” He said in a low voice, that warm smile glowing nearly as brightly as the stars above us.

Once again, I hesitated, looking first at Carol then at Br. Parks. Finally, I nodded and... almost simultaneously...we bowed our heads and suddenly the words came pouring out of their own volition...my voice loud and clear as I addressed my father...OUR father. 

“Dear Jehovah...our loving and wise father...” The words came naturally, my mind and heart responding to the faith that ran deep inside me...firmly seated roots feeding the heart-felt words to my lips as I verbalized the very first real fully spoken prayer I had uttered since my resurrection. 

As I continued to speak, a certain knowledge spread inside me...a knowledge that no matter what Jehovah had in store for me...I knew it will be wonderful...and just what we NEED. And honestly, I thought to myself as words continued to tumble from my lips...as long as Jehovah was by my side... along with my dear Carol...I could handle anything that came our way...anything at all.

My voice grew stronger in the brilliant starlight...my wife's body pressing against mine as I gave thanks to Jehovah for blessing after blessing...and suddenly...in an instant of time...a calm gentle voice whispered back...warmth surrounded us...enveloped each of us...and instantly...we were wrapped in the love that each of us knew so well. 

Finally, after some time had passed, we carried on...Brother Park's calm voice gently leading the way as we headed into the next assignment that Jehovah has provided for the two of us. 

(To Be Continued)