JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The first movie that made me cry

You would have to go back to the year 1971. I was just barely 12 years old. The movie? Brian's Song. It was a made for tv movie on ABC. I remember just breaking down in tears watching it. The next day at school, my teacher used it as a learning lesson. It was more than just a sports movie. Some of the pain I felt was bent up emotions that I stifled as a 9-year-old boy. 

My grandfather was dying from cancer. My parents would not allow me to see him as he slowly and painfully died from cancer. All those moments of pain came rushing back as I watched this show. I kept much of that anger bottled for many years. I never told anyone how angry I was. I never told my parents the pain they caused me to feel by not letting me see my beloved granddad. One day I let all that anger out with many tears. Mom broke down (it was her dad) with many tears of grief, apologizing and telling me she was trying to protect me. 

About a year later, I visited his grave and made my peace with his death. I got my Bible out and read John 5:28,29. I told him that I kept his memory alive, while my siblings forgot him, my cousins forgot him. I promised him I would never let go of that promise to remember him. I no longer carry that burden; I gave it to Jehovah and have never taken it back.  I miss him greatly, but know his memory is safe in Jehovah's memory. 

I just watched Brian's Song again and yes, I did cry. Here is the clip that made me cry as a 12-year-old and as a 64-year-old. 

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”