JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

PTSD in dogs

LeslieDean

It has been 3.5 months since I was notified of my husband's untimely death. When the sheriff's did a welfare check on him while I was in Ecuador, upon entering the home they were immediately assaulted by the stench of decomposition and extreme heat. They quickly found my husband deceased with our dog HazelGrace curled up at his side. Our other three dogs were also lifeless. Nit until the county coroner arrived did they note upon removing my husband from our home, that Hazel had slight muscle twitching and was still alive. The further investigated the other three and realized they too were barely breathing. They contacted a family friend who was already in route as they were the ones who initiated the welfare check per my instructions. Our dogs were taken to a 24hr emergency hospital where the vet started IV fluids and IV antibiotics fir stress diarrhea. They werebhospitalized for 4 days for continued care and slow introduction to diet. My cocker spaniel had to be given Trazadone for obvious depression/anxiety. My little 3.5 lb Maltese named Poppy was Rick's baby. He still can not be left alone. He stays constantly by my side. If he sees me stand he starts to bark and jump. He is so tiny. Yet the noise he makes is extremely loud for such a tiny bit of fluffy fur. If I set him down to put on shoes he cries and can only jump up high enough to wrap his paws around my ankle. Maggie Mae is my 9 lb , one year old Boston Terrier who is a nervous wreck. Eddie, Maggie's brother, was able to be rehomed and is living with his brother who was his actual litter mate. The vet said he did not know if their personalities would ever return to their former self or if this may be their new norm. It has given me time to really observe Jehovahs creation and the realization that they can suffer to from trauma and keep those emotional scars. 

Since they have always been so well loved and the situation did not involve physical abuse I guess I never thought about their emotional trauma. The final ME report came in last week. ME estimates Rick had been dead approximately 11 or 12 days with record breaking temperatures 112-115 degrees every day. It was 137degrees when they entered the house at 830 pm on Sunday July 23rd. So dogs were not able to go outdoors. No food, no water. Just extreme silence and heat. I hope they will improve but it certainly has left its mark. They are my constant companions.  They run errands with me, grocery store, even the nail salon today. The only time they don't go is for meetings and service. NY the time I get back home, which has never been longer than 5 hrs, they are beside theirself and it takes so long to get them quiet. Yes, dogs truly suffer and grieve the loss of their owners.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!