JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Hi friends!

I hope this is the right place, but I'm growing some hot peppers this year I'm trying to grow Carolina Reapers and Trinidad Scorpions.

Does anyone here have some experience with growing hot peppers? if so, what are your tips and tricks?

Today, one little Carolina Reaper sprouted. This in itself is a huge accomplishment. Now, trying to keep it alive

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-S911B met Tapatalk

I really love hot peppers, I'm just a gourmet.  But due to health, I had to reduce my consumption. I don't grow, I buy. Brother you are great! 
I also love them, but the ones I'm trying to grow now are a little too much for me also haha..
But we have some friends from Sri Lanka in my congregation, so I hope I can make them happy with it

A few years ago a RV gave me a birdseye chilli plant.  I had it for years and it produced abundant amounts of chillis.  I froze, dried, roasted etc etc.  It eventually died and I haven’t had much success getting another one to grow.  Many in the congregation have chillis so I just rely on them for my supplies.  I got some Carolina Reapers off marketplace a few years back for free.  I dried and ground them and use very sparingly.  I still have them in the pantry.  I tried to grow some from the seeds but no go.  🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶🌶

8 hours ago, Sepie93 said:

Hi friends!

I hope this is the right place, but I'm growing some hot peppers this yearemoji16.png I'm trying to grow Carolina Reapers and Trinidad Scorpions.

Never heard of Trinidad Scorpions.  Where on the hot scale are they? Bet they have a ‘sting’🌶🌶😜

A few years ago a RV gave me a birdseye chilli plant.  I had it for years and it produced abundant amounts of chillis.  I froze, dried, roasted etc etc.  It eventually died and I haven’t had much success getting another one to grow.  Many in the congregation have chillis so I just rely on them for my supplies.  I got some Carolina Reapers off marketplace a few years back for free.  I dried and ground them and use very sparingly.  I still have them in the pantry.  I tried to grow some from the seeds but no go.  
Hahah that's really nice!

How did you dry them good enough to use them?
Once I tried to dry some Aji Charipitas (Orgininally from Peru) using the oven, but it didn't work out

22 hours ago, MullumMiss said:

Never heard of Trinidad Scorpions.  Where on the hot scale are they? Bet they have a ‘sting’🌶🌶😜

spiciest chilli in the world was from India Naga Jolakia means cobra's Saliva.. later, recently all the other species and Genetically modified ones 🥵

3 hours ago, Sepie93 said:

Hahah that's really nice!

How did you dry them good enough to use them?
Once I tried to dry some Aji Charipitas (Orgininally from Peru) using the oven, but it didn't work outemoji28.png

I have a dehydrator.  Once dried I put them through my small food processor to turn them into flakes.  I add salt to preserve them.  They are still in my pantry and I’d quite forgotten about them until now.  The 2 jars on the right are kept in the fridge and they were dried the most recently and are what I use regularly.  I’m pretty sure they are birds eye.  They have been dehydrated and flaked.  I use a fine pair of tweezers when wanting to add the reapers to any dish whereas with the bird eye I use a spoon.  I like them sprinkled on my ham and pineapple pizza or I add to my curries and soups.  1B90BFD9-1E0B-4E45-9C49-D4F06739F835.thumb.jpeg.381d638e23a8cbfc05ea6f0d40c427ff.jpeg3422DA4D-13CD-4BD9-B170-0BB1FFFD9F9F.thumb.jpeg.b194dd1e34a076f85ceaff0805896d01.jpeg

FBD1D5FC-8644-4168-B55C-1F25DA39390D.jpeg

E17389DE-EF7D-416D-A21C-14BFE4AA5069.jpeg

I had grown some chillies in the past, but the last couples of years I haven't as I hadn't need to with the amount of dried chilli I still have on hand.

I had grown jalepenos for a brother because whenever he had grown them, they were attacked by pests, whereas I didn't have that worry. I had just two small plants but was getting about 2 to 3 big buckets of fruitage per plant, which I passed onto him for his needs (he mainly pickled or made sauces), but also I had dried a few which we use in some of our soup stocks.

I had also grown some Habanero's, Scotch Bonnets and Thai (Bird's Eye) but my wife didn't like these as much, as they were way, way too hot for her liking.

A brother ask for me to watch over a half a dozen chilli plants as they were moving back back to our congregation after being away for some time interstate, and when he settled back down he only took half of them and left me the balance, I wasn't sure what what variety they were, but of the 3 plants, there was one I called a "German" chilli, which this brother had German heritage and a "big" man, which looked as though this chilli was going to pack a punch, but when consumed, it was very, very mild, which was good to use as a garnish, as it was strickingly a very deep red, was about the size of your thumb in length and thickness. It looked like a serrano chilli but just didn't have the kick. It was a chilli that you could use on people that wasn't used to eating chilli raw.

The last chilli plant I had was the "tabasco" variant and it was a prolific producer where I may get 2-3 crops per year (about 1 kilograms or 2 pounds per crop), and these were the ones I had dried and still are using. Depending on which part of the season I reaped them, the drier periods produced a hotter heat, and the wetter periods produced a milder heat. This one plant lasted for about 5 years, after each crop they were pruned back to half it size in late spring, and to the main branches on it last crop in Autumn. But after the horrific summer in 2019/20 and then the recieving the heavy rains in mid-2020, the plant didn't cope and showed that it was had it.

All the chilli plants I had were in planted pots, so I can control their sunny position, wind protection and watering as well. I also found that using slow release fertilizer high in calcium was very useful in combating pests and diseases.