JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Which Is Worse...Quietness...Or Silence?

What a question, what a strange thought. Ultimately, it depends on which side of the issue you stand.

If you had to take an educated guess...which one would you guess to be worse, (or better, depending on your perspective) ... (specifically in regard to Jehovah)?

According to one source, the difference of these two words is as follows: "Quiet refers to a state of calmness or stillness. It is the absence of noise or disturbance. For example, a library is supposed to be quiet, so people can study and read in peace. Quiet can also refer to a person who is not talkative or reserved. On the other hand, silence refers to the complete absence of sound."

Makes sense, doesn't it?

Can we agree, friends...there is a VERY big difference between someone who is being quiet...versus someone who is being silent?

Now...as I said...let's apply this to our God, Jehovah.

Can you think of two verses which show you the difference between Jehovah remaining quiet...and Jehovah bringing about instant and utter silence...to the entire planet?

I will give you the two that I found...and briefly highlight the difference I found.

First, let's consider an example of Jehovah being quiet:  Psalms 83:1: "O God, do not be silent; Do not keep quiet or still, O Divine One."

According to the October 15th, 2008 Watchtower, this is the thrust of the meaning of this verse: "What was the psalmist’s foremost concern? Of course, he must have been very worried about his own personal safety and that of his family. Yet, the subject of his prayer was the reproach being brought on Jehovah’s name and the threats against the nation that bore that name. May we all keep a similar, balanced viewpoint as we endure the difficult final days of this old world."

As we all know, Jehovah has told us the truth about the issue of sovereignty...and how the reproach of his name comes into play regarding this subject. But compared to what Jehovah CAN do...he has remained relatively quiet for the past 6,000+ years...allowing humans and angels the free will to choose which side of this issue they will stand on.

Now...would you like to see a crystal-clear example of a scripture in which Jehovah...by a simple single solitary action...will bring the entire earth into utter absolute silence?

Please open your Bible's and turn to the book of Zecheriah...and we will look at two verses...one that will provide context...and the second that should bring you to your feet in a round of heart stopping applause for the one God who can and WILL stand up for YOU.

Please, my dear brothers and sisters...please allow the words of Almighty God JEHOVAH to fill your heart...please listen to HIM as he describes, vividly...just how much each and every single one of you mean to him...personally:

Zecheriah 2:8: "For this is what Jehovah of armies says, who after being glorified has sent me to the nations that were plundering you: ‘Whoever touches you touches the pupil of my eye."

Got it? Do you FEEL the anger and rage welling up within the creator of the universe and everything in it? Can you sense exactly how much YOU mean to him?

Of course, you say...I've read this verse many times...you say.

Well please read the final verse of this chapter...verse 13: "Be silent, all flesh, before Jehovah, for he is taking action from his holy dwelling."

Did those words give you chills? 

They should have, my friends. Truly...those words should have caused goosebumps to break out over your skin like bubbles breaking out on the surface of a pot of boiling water...each goosebump a tiny little exclamation mark caused by the words of our creator.

The mere fact that Jehovah has the power to bring all flesh into utter silence is awe inspiring...but the REALITY that he would do so just  to protect YOU...to bring an end to all of the anger, the hate, the killing, the crimes, the war, the poverty...and a host of other things we could name...the thought that he would do all of that...because he loves you...that, my friends...should honestly bring you to tears.

Jehovah plus you IS the majority...so please...do not allow anything or anyone to stand in your way of giving Jehovah your all...because you will never regret it...now...or billions of years in the future.

Edited by Timl1980

• 3 weeks later...

It's a semantic issue. In many languages, silence and quietness mean the same thing. A scripture can be used to fully understand the meaning of such words. 

“First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgiving be made concerning all sorts of men, concerning kings and all those who are in high positions, so that we may go on leading a calm and quiet life with complete godly devotion and seriousness . . . I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man, but she is to remain silent.”—2 Tim. 2:1, 2, 12.

Therefore, in the Bible, being quiet has to do with peace, calm. While being silent means not producing sound, often associated with respect for another person.

I think you had in mind 1Tim 2:1,2, 12 - which presents the point you helpfully make. The Greek 'ἡσυχία', translated as 'silent' in this verse, also occurs at 2Thess 3:12 in NWT but there is translated as 'quietly', si it seems the word has a fairly broad meaning, maybe in part determined by context.