JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Has Jehovah Ever Left ME... Completely On My Own?

Oofta!!

What a harsh thought to face...what a discouraging scenario to even imagine...let alone discuss for any length of time.

And yet, it was necessary for me to go there this past week. I was in the midst of a deep dive into a certain Bible character this week when, as usual, something popped up from the pages of the scriptures and left me stunned and shaken.

Unable to continue my study...I abruptly pulled up every single reference on this particular verse that I could find...all the while my mind and heart hammering away in unison with a single question that refused to go away: Has Jehovah ever left ME... completely on my own?

:depressed:

My heart said no... of COURSE not...but in my mind...in my mind, brothers and sisters...I had to admit the bitter truth: Yes...Jehovah has indeed left me all on my own...several times...and I have failed in most of those instances.

To which scripture am I referring? Which Bible character was I researching when I had this heart wrenching discovery?

The answer is Hezekiah...and the verse is 2 Chronicles 32:31...please join with me in reading this hard hitting verse: "However, when the spokesmen of the princes of Babylon were sent to ask him about the sign that had occurred in the land, the true God left him alone to put him to the test, to get to know all that was in his heart."

I will say it again...for those in the back of the room: OOFTA!!

Hezekiah had just experienced one of the lowest points in his life in his nearly life ending sickness...and now that was immediately followed by one of the highest points in his life...a sign...from Jehovah himself...that he would recover and get better.

And now what does Jehovah do?

Friends...he didn't send Isaiah to warn him of what these "spokesmen" from Babylon really wanted...he didn't send him a dream or a vision...he didn't even reinforce Hezekiah so he could stand up to this trial...no, my brothers and sisters...Jehovah LEFT HIM ALONE!

And for what? Why would he DO such a thing??

Simply to see what was in this man's heart...to allow Hezekiah's true heart condition to reveal itself.

A test which he immediately failed.

Does this mean that Hezekiah was a bad person? No, he was still considered righteous by Jehovah after this...because he humbled himself later on.

But in all my years as a witness...I have never thought of Jehovah leaving me completely alone...of him stepping back from me and waiting to see how I am going to do on my own.

Friends...without Jehovah...I am nothing...in fact I am less than nothing.

I'm like a little child...if my Father steps away from me...I'm the one who rushes back to his side and grabs on to his pants...his coat pocket...anything I can grab! 

At least...that's how I like to view myself.

And yet...what's the truth??

Can you see now why this single scripture has caused me to stop in my tracks and dig until I can find a satisfactory answer?

Our hearts are so sinister, my friends. They betray our selfishness, our darkest natures that we are trying so hard to transform...not just disguise.

I have been praying for two days about this matter...and have finally come to peace with the following thoughts: No matter how many times Jehovah must leave me on my own...I know he is right there...waiting for me to humble myself and run back to him. I will not hesitate, I will simply reach out and grab his hand...wipe away any tears and continue moving forward with him...because THIS is where I belong!

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Timl1980 said:

Simply to see what was in this man's heart...to allow Hezekiah's true heart condition to reveal itself.

Take heart!

Who did Jehovah want to reveal the true nature of Hezekiah to?

It can't have been for Jehovah's benefit, because Hebrews 4:13 reads:

"And there is not a creation that is hidden from his sight, but all things are naked and openly exposed to the eyes of the one to whom we must give an account."

Jehovah already knew it all, he didn't need leave him alone to wait and see what would happen for his own benefit, did he?

So who was Jehovah wanting to reveal Hezekiah's heart condition to?

To Hezekiah! With only loving and good intentions.

It had good results because, as you said, Hezekiah humbled himself and corrected his actions.

It also had good results in that we can all read it and learn from Hezekiah too.

Jehovah left him alone in the sense that he allowed him to carry on in his chosen path, reach the end of that path and learn that he had gone wrong along the way - but Jehovah was with him really, because it was a teaching exercise. 

We know from Hebrews 12:6 "those whom Jehovah loves he disciplines" and we also know that the meaning of discipline is training not punishment.

Jehovah walked on that wrong path quietly by Hezekiah's side until he realised the wrong turn he had made, then Hezekiah turned around and corrected his path and Jehovah walked right along side him while he did that.

It wasn't abandonment. It was allowing him to learn from his own mistakes, in effect it was lovingly refining him.

If we all remember that then when Jehovah leaves us to follow a wrong path we've chosen and we find ourselves off course and having to correct ourselves, we won't feel alone or abandoned but rather we can say "oh ok, I get it! I won't make that mistake again"

Edited by Frances Bennett

3 minutes ago, Frances Bennett said:

It wasn't abandonment. It was allowing him to learn from his own mistakes, in effect it was lovingly refining him.

I agree with this! He left him alone in a certain sense only, in truth he would never abandon us completely as long as we continue to do our best.