JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Chuck - Laptop Problem Help

Yesterday my laptop would not power up at all. My son said maybe my cord was bad or maybe the power jack was bad. After looking at it, he took the battery out, and just plugged it in to see if it was the cord or power jack, and the laptop powered up. So obviously the battery is shot.

The problem I am now having is accessing certain websites. I can't access my bank site or Facebook. I keep getting a message that says "the security certificate is not yet valid" When the battery was in, I always was able to access these sites, with the battery out, I can't.

Do you have any idea why and how to fix this? I can use our PC for banking/facebook, but it's kind of a pain switching computers just to check those two sites.

Thanks.

Well, first of all, it wouldn't have anything to do with the way the laptop is powered, AC or Battery will make no difference. However, if it shut down unexpectedly or not started completely because of the battery problem, some of the system files may have been corrupted.

Try doing a "System restore". Pick a restore date that is a few days before you started having the battery problem. See if that helps. I'm thinking it is not actually a security certificate problem, but a system file corruption.

If that doesn't work, we can delve into security certificates.

EDIT: Also, make sure the system date and time are correct. It may be as simple as that. In fact, check this first!

Thanks Chuck.

It probably did shut down unexpectedly. It was working Saturday night, then when I got up on Sunday, it was powered off. When my son took the battery out and it powered up, it did reboot itself but it went through some system check first.

I'll check the date and time, never thought about that, lol.

Lol, it was the date/time. How crazy, a simple thing like that.

Thanks again Chuck. I had sent my son a text about 2 hrs ago regarding this, but he is mowing lawn at KH and didn't hear his phone ring. He just got back to me as well and said "check date/time". I told him someone already told me that, and I fixed it, lol.

Thanks again.

Now, since there is no battery, I assume every time I unplug it and restart it, I should probably check the date/time to make sure it is correct.

There is a tiny "BIOS" battery on the motherboard that keeps the date and time, but when that fails, the system relies on the laptop battery. There should be a little "hatch" on the bottom of the laptop, there may be several. One of them should allow access to the little BIOS battery. Sometimes all you see are red and black wires and you pull on them a little and the batter will come up. Sometimes though, there is no access to this battery and a technician needs to disassemble the laptop to get to it.

There are many different configurations, so ordering a new laptop battery might be the easiest thing to do.

There are many different configurations, so ordering a new laptop battery might be the easiest thing to do.

That is our plan, but I will keep an eye on the date/time til we get the new battery.

Thanks again!