JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Scriptural misquotes

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4243 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

An Elder, wanted to admonish an little rebellious young brother, called him after the meeting for a brief talk. He smiled at him and told him that he wanted to show few scriptures that he wish the young man should try to apply. The young man, first got nervous, and agreed. They sat together, opened up the Bible. The Elder asked him to open to Romans 12th chapter. By by mistake, the young man looked at Romans 13th chapter not realising it. (Both are reading in their minds and hence they do not hear each other what are they reading).

Elder quotes the scripture..12:2

(Rom.12:2 And quit being fashioned after this system of things, but be transformed by making your mind over, that you may prove to yourselves the good and acceptable and perfect will of God )

Young man read (silently) 13:2 and got a shock

(Rom. 13:2 Therefore he who opposes the authority has taken a stand against the arrangement of God; those who have taken a stand against it will receive judgment to themselves. )

Young man: But I don’t think I am .........

Elder, you think? (Elder feels this young man trying to argue) …ok ok I understand, then please read the next verse.

(Rom.12:3 For through the undeserved kindness given to me I tell everyone there among you not to think more of himself than it is necessary to think; but to think so as to have a sound mind, each one as God has distributed to him a measure of faith.)

Young man reads

(Rom. 13:3, For those ruling are an object of fear, not to the good deed, but to the bad. Do you, then, want to have no fear of the authority? Keep doing good, and you will have praise from it)

He started sweating… no no I am really obedient and loving….

Elder: that is good..., then please the apply 9th verse

(Rom.12:9 Let your love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is wicked, cling to what is good.)

Young man reads.. (Rom.13:9- For the law code, “You must not commit adultery, You must not murder, You must not steal, You must not covet,” and whatever other commandment there is,…….)

Poor young man is not able to read further…as he feels dark before his eyes.. He is sweating profusely and looking at the Elder as if seeking some mercy……

So You See young man, where you are standing…, like all of us, you also need to take the lead to apply the next verse.. (Rom.12:10 - In brotherly love have tender affection for one another. In showing honor to one another take the lead. )

Young man…rubbed his eyes several times and started looking at the next scripture…( Rom. 13:10 Love does not work evil to one’s neighbour therefore love is the law’s fulfilment).

Poor Young man gulping fast some saliva and the Elder can hear the sound.. Elder is very happy to see the expressions as he feels, it is affecting…

Now, my brother, please do what the 13th verse says – by which you will helped to progress further)

(Rom.12:13 Share with the holy ones according to their needs. Follow the course of hospitality. )

After reading the 13th verse, young man collapses.

(Rom. 13:13 As in the daytime let us walk decently, not in revelries and drunken bouts, not in illicit intercourse and loose conduct, not in strife and jealousy.)

Other brothers carries him out, call for an ambulance.

Till today, the Elder never knew what happened, and the poor young brother never knew what happened. He is in a different congregation now.

(LOL ..joking)

Agape

• 1 month later...