JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Serena Williams' 'Swear to God' Rant at 2009 Open a Major Regret, Poor Witness of Faith

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4257 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Serena Williams' 'Swear to God' Rant at 2009 Open a Major Regret, Poor Witness of Faith

By Christine Thomasos , Christian Post Reporter

August 24, 2012|2:46 pm

Serena Williams, four-time Olympic gold medal tennis player, recently opened up to The New York Times Magazine about not being the best representation for her Jehovah's Witnesses religion after being penalized for yelling and shaking her racket at an official during the 2009 U.S. Open.

http://images.christianpost.com/full/50168/serena-williams.jpg

In 2009, 30-year-old Williams lost the U.S. Open title to an unranked Kim Clijsters after a double foot-fault was called on the former in the semifinals of the Grand Slam tournament. Williams reacted by cursing at the line judge who made the call, reportedly saying, "I swear to God I'm [expletive] going to take this [expletive] ball and shove it down your [expletive] throat, you hear that? I swear to God," according to ESPN reports.

Although Williams told The New York Times Magazine that she believes the line judge made a bad call, she also said she may have shocked some familiar with her religious beliefs.

"What bothered me most was that I was representing my religion. I just felt like anyone who knew I was a Witness was stumbled and I really don't want to stumble anyone," Williams told the magazine. "They had to have a talk with me. And I knew it was coming."

Still, the tennis star explained why she was so upset about the incident three years ago.

"I was definitely stressed, and I was angry. I don't foot-fault. Like, I have in the past, but this woman should never make a call in the semifinals of a Grand Slam on a person who doesn't foot-fault," Williams said. "She was totally wrong. I'm sorry. I'm not sorry."

Williams said she attempted to warn the line judge about her calls in the 2009 match to no avail.

"I looked at her like -- I tried to warn her," Williams recalled about the incident. "And then she did it again. And I'm thinking, This is ridiculous."

However, Williams said she felt bad for reacting the way that she did.

"I just felt really bad, though, because it's like, that's not who I am," Williams told The New York Times Magazine.

Article Source: The Christian Post

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

There was a brother from southern Florida that had seen her at a or conventions before as she does live down there. He was staying with me for a couple months back in 2009. He was working a a Power-plant as a Welder at that time. ( http://www.bechtel.com/prairie-state-power-plant.html ) I had heard about it and he and I were talking about it and he also said, "She's going to get talked to about that."

Not to judge anybody myself or start anything either. It's just the facts!!!!

Quote she made in article, " "They had to have a talk with me. And I knew it was coming."

i dont understand with the olympics, singing the anthem... the "U S A! U S A!" chanting... etc... how any witness can get involved in that? is it just a conscience thing? ... im confused ... brotherly love gu

i dont understand with the olympics, singing the anthem... the "U S A! U S A!" chanting... etc... how any witness can get involved in that? is it just a conscience thing? ... im confused ... brotherly love gu

It appears she hasn't progressed to baptism as of yet. She is welcome to join us. :D

hi hope I am not going to say anything inapporiate but I thought I saw an article here on Jwtalk saying she was active publisher.

Maybe I was mistaken.

Even if she wasn't baptized just a publisher ,how would you be able to compete in the Olympics?

Please don't get me wrong I am not having a go at her .

It is just I know some witnesses that were going to try out for the Olympics but because of the nationalistic nature they were unable to do so.

please let me know if I have the wrong end of the stick?

hi hope I am not going to say anything inapporiate but I thought I saw an article here on Jwtalk saying she was active publisher.

Maybe I was mistaken.

Yeah, I don't remember ever reading anything like that. Maybe she is, maybe she isn't. All I know is that her father is (He wears a shirt that says "Jehovah is my God" everywhere he goes) and she was raised with a JW influence.

Even if she wasn't baptized just a publisher ,how would you be able to compete in the Olympics?

Please don't get me wrong I am not having a go at her .

It is just I know some witnesses that were going to try out for the Olympics but because of the nationalistic nature they were unable to do so.

please let me know if I have the wrong end of the stick?

"unable" us probably the wrong word here. It's more like most Christians would choose not to do so, based on Bible principles.

To say "unable" would imply that one could be disfellowshipped for playing a sport, and I don't know if that is the case - I don't see participating in the olympics as akin to joining the military. It's worth noting that the historical record of the early Christians notes that they wouldn't even attend events held in Colosseum's back then. Yet today, brothers and sisters all over the world attend concerts, football games, etc etc etc.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Thanks for that I thought it maybe a disfellowshipping because of swearing allengiance to your country.

I liked your point as it brings each one of us back to our relationship with Jehovah and whether our course of action is making him happy.