Jump to content
JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Buying new furniture


LeslieDean

Recommended Posts

I wanted to give my sectional sofa to someone who needed some furniture because my apartment is so small it feels like my living room is all sofa. So I have a love hate with recliners. Enjoy the comfort but they are such an eye sore. I have a picture window that I thought about putting two nice chairs on either side of my copper tub bar and making a conversation area. When I entertain I can reserve the club room that van hold about 60 comfortably and has a full kitchen with a large screen tv and game console. So anyone that visits me would be limited comfortably to 6. Tight quarters. So I thought I would splurge a little and go find two chairs that are pretty and functional. Boy did I find them. Not in regular big chain stores like Basset, Mathis Brothers or Ashley's but a high end Lewis Alan Design Gallery. Gallery should have been my clue. I walked in and there was the chair of my dreams calling 'Leslie, look over here. Come sit and feel the comfort that can be yours. Feel the long Australian sheep fur and the sleek wood table that swings to the side. Notice the wood barrell back and trade mark design of its exclusive designer. Come. Sit. Dream.' I honestly tried to walk away but my neck was was on swivel and I simply had to circle back. I could see it in front of the window and feel the way it could swivel to face the fireplace without having to get out of the chair and move it. I saw myself sitting back in silk pajamas sippu v my RED wine not a worry about spilling it on the 6 inch long plush fur. So soft it felt like air. I told myself be practical. Think how my Poppy and Maggie would want to get up and snuggle on its fur. What if they thought it was an animal and peed on it? But I still could not walk away. I casually walked closer and turned the information tag over. WHAT?!?!? I STOPPED breathing. The sales man said such a work if art. And with 25% off it's a steal. I gasped is that the price or the model number? No Madame he said that is the same price with a courteous discount. It was 16477.00 after 25% off. I knew I could not afford that. It felt sinful to even think about spending that much. But I sure did want it. I looked carefully at it from all angles knowing that in paradise I will grown my own tree and learn carpentry skills and sewing skills and learn how to shave lambs and treat the wool and leather. Dye the leather and wool. I will have one in every color and make one for any friend who wants one. I have never had a piece of furniture speak to me but this one certainly did. In fact it's still talking but I am covering my ears. I did find a camel leather with tall wooded legs and tufted wing back design which was drool worthy. But alas no can do that one either. 9k for each is still too much. Think of what that could mean in contributions for our friends. When did I get so reasonable? I'm limiting myself to 3k for two chairs but I may have to concede to an ugly design that actually looks like a recliner. But if you want a chair like this sign my waiting list now. I figure a 100 years to grow the trees and cut the wood, then there is all the other steps involved. But it will be worth it. 

  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Care 1

LeslieDean

 

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, LeslieDean said:

I wanted to give my sectional sofa to someone who needed some furniture because my apartment is so small it feels like my living room is all sofa. So I have a love hate with recliners. Enjoy the comfort but they are such an eye sore. I have a picture window that I thought about putting two nice chairs on either side of my copper tub bar and making a conversation area. When I entertain I can reserve the club room that van hold about 60 comfortably and has a full kitchen with a large screen tv and game console. So anyone that visits me would be limited comfortably to 6. Tight quarters. So I thought I would splurge a little and go find two chairs that are pretty and functional. Boy did I find them. Not in regular big chain stores like Basset, Mathis Brothers or Ashley's but a high end Lewis Alan Design Gallery. Gallery should have been my clue. I walked in and there was the chair of my dreams calling 'Leslie, look over here. Come sit and feel the comfort that can be yours. Feel the long Australian sheep fur and the sleek wood table that swings to the side. Notice the wood barrell back and trade mark design of its exclusive designer. Come. Sit. Dream.' I honestly tried to walk away but my neck was was on swivel and I simply had to circle back. I could see it in front of the window and feel the way it could swivel to face the fireplace without having to get out of the chair and move it. I saw myself sitting back in silk pajamas sippu v my RED wine not a worry about spilling it on the 6 inch long plush fur. So soft it felt like air. I told myself be practical. Think how my Poppy and Maggie would want to get up and snuggle on its fur. What if they thought it was an animal and peed on it? But I still could not walk away. I casually walked closer and turned the information tag over. WHAT?!?!? I STOPPED breathing. The sales man said such a work if art. And with 25% off it's a steal. I gasped is that the price or the model number? No Madame he said that is the same price with a courteous discount. It was 16477.00 after 25% off. I knew I could not afford that. It felt sinful to even think about spending that much. But I sure did want it. I looked carefully at it from all angles knowing that in paradise I will grown my own tree and learn carpentry skills and sewing skills and learn how to shave lambs and treat the wool and leather. Dye the leather and wool. I will have one in every color and make one for any friend who wants one. I have never had a piece of furniture speak to me but this one certainly did. In fact it's still talking but I am covering my ears. I did find a camel leather with tall wooded legs and tufted wing back design which was drool worthy. But alas no can do that one either. 9k for each is still too much. Think of what that could mean in contributions for our friends. When did I get so reasonable? I'm limiting myself to 3k for two chairs but I may have to concede to an ugly design that actually looks like a recliner. But if you want a chair like this sign my waiting list now. I figure a 100 years to grow the trees and cut the wood, then there is all the other steps involved. But it will be worth it. 

I sure wish you had a pic of the furniture. I would've loved to see it.

  • Like 1

Dance. Even if there's no music. 

Dance Dancing GIF by binibambini

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The one i am giving away or the one I fell in love with? 

The blue sofa is a tweed dark blue and grey performance fabric. It is less than a year delivered on Nov 25 last year.  But the other , oh my , I know it's more of a conversation piece and believe me if I could have bought it I would have . Just can't see spending that much even if I had it. Its a over size round chair with the half moon ottoman that slides up against it. The table drops down and slides back out of way. There is a young sister who was married recently that is eager to give the kids a new home. She just needs to wait till I get something I kind delivered. 

PXL_20251114_184339029.jpg

PXL_20261002_212350848.jpg

PXL_20261002_212403042.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Care 1

LeslieDean

 

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/6/2026 at 4:45 PM, LeslieDean said:

The one i am giving away or the one I fell in love with? 

The blue sofa is a tweed dark blue and grey performance fabric. It is less than a year delivered on Nov 25 last year.  But the other , oh my , I know it's more of a conversation piece and believe me if I could have bought it I would have . Just can't see spending that much even if I had it. Its a over size round chair with the half moon ottoman that slides up against it. The table drops down and slides back out of way. There is a young sister who was married recently that is eager to give the kids a new home. She just needs to wait till I get something I kind delivered. 

PXL_20251114_184339029.jpg

PXL_20261002_212350848.jpg

PXL_20261002_212403042.jpg

It's so cozy looking

  • Thanks 1

Dance. Even if there's no music. 

Dance Dancing GIF by binibambini

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Im hoping to close soon on a house i put an offer on. When I moved to Tennessee I'd sold or given away a whole lifetime of things. At this point I dont even have a chair. What I went through in the estate sale was single handedly a most traumatic experience and I promised myself I'll never do that to my son to unravel if something should happen to me, so my furniture buying is going to be very slow. 

Simple, quality pieces. I haven't begun looking yet but if anyone has a suggestion where to get Danish/Scandinavian type things I'd be interested. I like smaller furniture as im only 5'3" so any sources of well made furniture will work. 

  • Care 1

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, CHecker said:

Im hoping to close soon on a house i put an offer on. When I moved to Tennessee I'd sold or given away a whole lifetime of things. At this point I dont even have a chair. What I went through in the estate sale was single handedly a most traumatic experience and I promised myself I'll never do that to my son to unravel if something should happen to me, so my furniture buying is going to be very slow. 

Simple, quality pieces. I haven't begun looking yet but if anyone has a suggestion where to get Danish/Scandinavian type things I'd be interested. I like smaller furniture as im only 5'3" so any sources of well made furniture will work. 

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A2RRgar6rsdqaLkBe.pEDN04;_ylu=Y29sbwN1cy1lYXN0LTEEcG9zAzEEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3Nj/RV=2/RE=1792680955/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.1stdibs.com%2f/RK=2/RS=2uoGDGeBeajOdFFBCGT7FFXSXGI-

 

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/mobile/search?hspart=pty&hsimp=yhsm-easyhomescreen4_pi&p=chairish+website&param1=20251123&param2=f4c64fcc-0420-405f-a745-d8f2f9b06e8d&param3=easy.launcher~US~11028&param4=chairish website~search-screen

 

Take a look at these sites when you are not vulnerable. Lol

The collection changes and it is pieces from all over. I've never really looked at furniture design the world over or it's history but, well, just take a look. My view has always been limited knowing expense would be the deciding factor, but wow. Just wow. I believe there are stores all over in select cities.  

  • Like 1

LeslieDean

 

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With Rick's sudden death I too gave away everything except a Thomas Kincaide portrait I adore. Opened up the house to the friends and said take. It was all gone in less than 48 hrs. Generac generator, all furniture , Vitamix blender, instapot etc. 35 years of quality stuff. Even a steel pedal guitar used in a Dirks Bentley video from a famous music store outside Nashville. It had a certificate of authenticity that was framed that showed the steel pedal with the band and the video featuring it. I told the brother who it was gifted to that maybe he could teach Rick how to play after the resurrection. It was weird to watch the friends as they took what they wanted. Some were hesitant and thanked me profusely while a few grabbed till arms full and came back for more. Others bringing a pickup for beds,n dressers,  bar, and refrigerator. The ache inside was real. I knew immediately what keep a simple eye now truly means. For 3 years I had no desire for anything permanent or nice. But boy did that chair reawaken a desire I thought no longer existed. It was two voices competing in my head. 1) You can't take it with you. 2) Watch!  But as soon as I got out of the store I could feel reasonableness return.

  • Care 2
  • Love 1

LeslieDean

 

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, CHecker said:

What I went through in the estate sale was single handedly a most traumatic experience and I promised myself I'll never do that to my son to unravel if something should happen to me, so my furniture buying is going to be very slow. 

Sis, I totally relate to this. My parents moved quickly from Kansas to North Carolina and left me a house and business to sort through.  I was the closet daughter to them.  I would never put that on my children. It was almost traumatic.  

  • Like 1

Dance. Even if there's no music. 

Dance Dancing GIF by binibambini

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, LeslieDean said:

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A2RRgar6rsdqaLkBe.pEDN04;_ylu=Y29sbwN1cy1lYXN0LTEEcG9zAzEEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3Nj/RV=2/RE=1792680955/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.1stdibs.com%2f/RK=2/RS=2uoGDGeBeajOdFFBCGT7FFXSXGI-

 

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/mobile/search?hspart=pty&hsimp=yhsm-easyhomescreen4_pi&p=chairish+website&param1=20251123&param2=f4c64fcc-0420-405f-a745-d8f2f9b06e8d&param3=easy.launcher~US~11028&param4=chairish website~search-screen

 

Take a look at these sites when you are not vulnerable. Lol

The collection changes and it is pieces from all over. I've never really looked at furniture design the world over or it's history but, well, just take a look. My view has always been limited knowing expense would be the deciding factor, but wow. Just wow. I believe there are stores all over in select cities.  

I'm such a thrift store shopper. The prices almost made me choke.  I don't even know how to dream those items. LOL 😃

  • Love 2

Dance. Even if there's no music. 

Dance Dancing GIF by binibambini

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ChrisW said:

Sis, I totally relate to this. My parents moved quickly from Kansas to North Carolina and left me a house and business to sort through.  I was the closet daughter to them.  I would never put that on my children. It was almost traumatic.  

I was so traumatized I had about 20 brothers and sisters helping. Im partially disabled and cant stand very long, those friends were a gift from Jehovah.

 

I like the Amish because its simple. 

  • Like 1
  • Care 1

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ChrisW said:

I'm such a thrift store shopper. The prices almost made me choke.  I don't even know how to dream those items. LOL 😃

I thought about thrift stores but now they cost just as much as buying new!

 

Ive had success with Wayfair as well, I like their quality. 

  • Like 1

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, ChrisW said:

I'm such a thrift store shopper. The prices almost made me choke.  I don't even know how to dream those items. LOL 😃

I understand. There is definitely a difference between the way I live and other people's .

 

As a child we went to visit my parents friends. I can remember my mother talking about their HALF bath! One and a HALF baths their new home had! And an oversized garage. A pink princess phone in their daughters bedroom. The car ride home my mom could not quit talking about the half bath. I kept thinking about the pink princess phone. I know my dad chocked on the oversized  garage yet all he could say was he was not going in debt to keep up with the Jones's. I remember asking if we were poor and both of them turned around and yelled 'NO'! Then are we just jealous? That would have been early to mid 1960s.Funny thing is I don't remember ever visiting them anymore but do remember my parents saying they had been out classed. One measley closet size room with a toilet and a sink, a a garage with a few extra square feet and don't forget the pink phone sure stirred alot of emotion/grief. 

 


Edited by LeslieDean
  • Care 1
  • Cherish 1

LeslieDean

 

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, LeslieDean said:

I promised myself I'll never do that to my son to unravel if something should happen to me,

 

I can, at age 82, sympathize with that comment. My mother lived to 97. I do not know if I will make it that far.

 

Many years ago, my wife and I built our "dream" 4,000 sq ft house, with four levels, and a beautiful view of Pensaola Bay.

 

When we first moved in, 40+ years ago, stairs were not a problem. On a four level house, one had to go up or down a half flight of stairs almost every time you wanted to go to another room.

 

As we got older, the stairs became a problem.

 

At first, we were looking to buy a house all on one level.

 

But as that search stretched over several years, my wife's memory began to diminish. That turned attention to what to do to plan for the future as my wife's memory continued its decline.

 

We ended up in a gated retirement complex, with "independent living" apartments, "assissted living" facilities, and a "skilled nursing" section. We started out with an "independent living" apartment of less than 1,200 sq ft.

 

Deciding which pieces of furniture to take to the next apartment was difficult, but we made our choices, and made the move.

 

This left our house with some of our furniture still in it. We deeded the house to my son as a gift, and left the furniture. The house had a huge garage (900 sq ft). My son ended up putting most of the furniture we left in the huge garage. This  meant he, his wife, and their two sons, now had to park four cars in the front yard.

 

After about three years my wife's memory problems progressed to the point that we had to place her in the "skilled nursing" facilities portion used for the memory/dementia/Alzheimer's section.

 

A year later my mother died at age 97, and left us an 1,800 house with all of her furniture she had accumulated over many years. 

 

A year after that, my son's wife's parents moved from South Florida (10 hour drive away) to Pensacola. Thankfully (1) my mother's house was empty, so there was no need to look for a house for her parents since my mother's house was available, and (2) her parents moved here before their intense medical problems surfaced, so they were only 10 minutes away from her, rather than 10 hours away, when their cancer problems really surfaced. But, her parents brought two "rent-a trailers" full of their furniture. My son then had to figure out what to do with his grandmoter's lifetime collection. The items that had emotional significance he put in the huge garage. The other items he took to "goodwill" type places.

 

But, I still have the furniture my wife and I brought to our "independent living" apartment. At some point in time, if the New System does not arrive before then, my son will have to decide what to do with the furniture and other "junque" I have. My probem is that as a "wannabe" musician, I value a good audio system. I have accumulated several audio pieces that give fantastic sound, but my son (and my grandsons) have "ruined" their appreciation for good audio by listening to MP3 stuff through "earbuds." They do not share my love of good full range audio. Also, I have some fairly good camera gear (Leica). The friends I had in the past who liked cameras have passed away. My son and grandsons see no use for a camera better than their cell phones.

 

My wife's memory/dementia/Alzheimer's difficulties finally came to an end February 1 of this year when she passed away.

 

I am not sure how he will deal with some of this unusual "junque" I have. I hope by the time comes that he has to deal with it, there will be some in the local Congregation who appreciate some this unneeded "junque" I have accumulated.

 

Then, I also need to finish making sure my financial records are clear enough and up to date so he will not have a big job caring for what might be left of my finances when the time comes. I have complicated that by buying several "USB portable drives."  There are probable a half dozen drives (over 30TB total) with data in no special place. I need to go through all of them to get all audio files on one drive, all photo files on one drive, all financial files on one drive, etc.

 

All of these concerns makes me want to see the New System come "right now" so my son, who has had to deal with left over furniture and "junque" from (1) the house my wife and I gave to him, (2) his grandmother's house, and (3) his wife's parents things, will not have to go through much pain in getting rid of my "junque."

 

But we al know Jeovah has his time for everything. It will happen according to his schedule.

 

And, if the end had come in 1975 (that many, including myself, thought was going to happen), many millions who have come to Jehovah since then would not have had the chance to learn about him and come to know him and love him.

 

We must have faith that Jehovah, in his unlimited wisdom, has chosen the right time for that to happen. And it will happen at the time that is appropriate.

 

Thanks,

 

Jim

P.S. "Junque" means "high class" junk.

  • Sad 1
  • Care 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I understand about your feelings re your son’s lack of appreciation for good music. When I asked my son Jason, who lives in China, if he wanted any of Rick’s photography equipment or the steel pedal guitar. He said he had enough “junk” of his own.  Some of those special Cannon lenses were 2800.00 . I truly understood then the  meaning of one mans junk is another’s treasure and vice versa.  I guess he understood he hit a sensitive spot and started to explain. “I’M sorry. I just meant I have no use or need for it. You should sell or give it to your friends.” The Bible scores again.  In the end its all really just refuse. What was precious memories to me was not a part of his memory bank thus no attachment. 

  • Like 1
  • Cherish 1

LeslieDean

 

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your story is humbling James. You folks were in the process of living and doing what you like and appreciate. Next thing you notice is life throws a monkey wrench at you and you realize life isn't near long enough to fully enjoy what you have. 

I had 41 years of collecting. I love to cook and cooked for many who had financial issues, disabled, needy. My kitchen was a chefs dream. I had every appliance and a huge kitchen to accommodate all of it. But then life stopped. I looked around and saw how much I had to get free from. It took 2 months, 2 trucks and 1 dumpster of refuse, 3 trips to Goodwill, at the estate sale I saw some humble loving people that would appreciate what I could give so I did. A few cried and hugged me. Yes I lost thousands in the process but others were made happy. After all we cannot take anything with us to the NS. I've now been living in a 10x10 bedroom with a box with a suitcase for almost 2 years. I have 3 meeting outfits (which I will burn when I move and get my meager belongings shipped here 😀).

If your son could advertise your precious audio collection it can go to the right place where it'll be loved. Since you may have time for it (I didnt) perhaps thats how you could slim down the posessions and bank the proceeds. 

I hope many of the friends read your story. You touched my heart. Also, my love to you in regard to your wife. 🥰

  • Thanks 1

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, LeslieDean said:

Did you have a half bath and a pink princess phone?  

we had a 2 story home and it did have a half bath. No princess phone though. LOL 

  • Haha 1

Dance. Even if there's no music. 

Dance Dancing GIF by binibambini

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LeslieDean said:

Some of those special Cannon lense

 

I know the value of "L" class Cannon lenses.

 

I have liked photography for as long as I can remember. My first camera was a Kodak "Brownie" box camera (about 1952). My first adjustable camera was an Argus C3. I got a Minolta SRT101 as the first camera with a built in light meter. There is a dependable used camera business in Atlanta, Ga. (KEH Camera). I sold my Minolta film stuff to them and bought a Canon 10D. I collected many Canon "L" class lenses (14mm, 17-40mm, 24-70mm, 28-80mm, 80-200mm - the old "Majic Drainpipe," 185mm macro). 

 

I got to the point that I was going to the pain management doctor every three months for a spinal "nerve block." It finally dawned on me that I was carrying 50 pounds of camera gear on my left shoulder every time I went somewhere.

 

I sold my 50 pounds of Canon digital stuff to KEH.

 

I have not had to get a shot in the back since then.

 

I tried a "bridge" camera with a 20 to 1 zoom. Theoretically it should have been better since it had a 10 megapixel sensor, whereas the Canon 10D only had six megapixels. But in a "bridge" camera the sensor is about the size of your turmbnail. It did not have the same "spark" that the old 10D had. 

 

I gave up on cameras for a while. But the camera bug bit again.

 

I found a Leica SL2 at a decent price. The thing about the SL2 is that since Leica moves the sensor around to give "in body image stabilization" (IBIS) they decided to give the SL2 the ability of make a four exposure picture, moving the sensor 1/2 of a pixel for each exposure. This gives a 188 megapixel image. Of course, this only works if (1) the camera is on a "rock solid" base (i.e., very stable tripod), and (2) the subject does not move.

 

That basically limits the 188 megapixel shots to landscapes or "still life."

 

But, even at the native 47 megapixel setting, it is sooo much better than what I had before.

 

I found three Leica lenses (16-35mm, 24-80mm, 80-280mm). These three lenses will cover any reasonable focal length I would ever use. The SL2 has a "full frame" 35mm style sensor. But, it has an option to just use the center of the sensor (as in APC sensors). Using the APC sensor setting increases the effective focal length of the lens by 1.5 times. Thus, using the APC settings, the 280mm lens becomes effectively a 420mm lens.

 

The one thing I forgot to research was weight.

 

Wheras Nikon, Canon, Sony, and other Japanese camera makers will use "synthetic" materials for their camera bodies and lens barrells, Leica, as an "old country" firm in Germany, will only build their cameras & lenses with metal bodies. The camera body starts out as a solid block of metal. They use a milling machine to drill out the metal where the pieces have to fit inside the body. Their lenses all have metal barrels. The one Leica SL2, with the three lenses, weighs as much as the Canon 10D along six lenses and two flash attachments.

 

But, at age 82, I am not going as many places as I did even 10 years ago. Most of the time the camera sits in its bag. If I go somewhere with my rollator (a "walker" with four wheels) I can put the camera bag in the seat and roll it around.

 

Digital cameras are now much more complex than my old Canon 10D. Buying it used, I did not get the manual. I went to the Leica support website and downloaded a "pdf" of the manual and printed it out. It is 296 pages!

 

And, I can tell from the language syntax that it was written in German, and then translated to English. I am still trying to figure out some of the functions.

 

My photography is mostly animals and landscapes. I am not good enough as an artist to try any "artsy" type work.

 

Jehovah gave us such a beautiful planet to live on that there are many wonderful things to take pictures of.

 

I know some say photography is not really "art."  They say it does not take as much effort as does painting a picture. My answer is that when painting you can choose what objects you want to show. With a camera, one must be much more careful in composing the picture to only include elements that contribute to the picture, and to eliminate elements that you do not want.

 

My wife and I were privileged to be delegates to International Conventions in Italy (2001) and Japan (2003). I am glad I had my camera with me on those trips. Even though I am not able to make such trips now, I can still look at the pictures we took when we were at the International Conventions.

 

Especially when we went to the International Convention in Japan, things were wonderful. Apparently Japanese culture values gray (or white in my case) hair. During every break in the sessions, local Japanese brothers and sisters would "invade" the sections for people from other countries. They would especially seek out those with gray, or white, hair to have their picture taken of them. I probably have over 100 of these that were taken with my Canon 10D. It is nice to be able to go back and look at those pictures, to remember my wife as she was then, and to remember the welcome we received from the local brothers and sisters.

 

When we went to the International Convention in Japan, I had packed an extra suitcase, collapsable nylon, that when expanded was a full size 30" suitcase. I was intending it to be for dirty clothes. The brothers and sisters in Japan gave us so many oragami gifts that the "extra" suitcase was completely filled with them. The dirty clothes had to go back in the regular suitcases.

 

On the last day of the assembly in Japan, a sister, who we had obviously never seen before, came up to my wife and gave her a hand made Kimono. I still have that Kimono. When my wife's memory failed she got to the point that she could not remember anything about going to the International Conventions, even though they were VERY VERY special occasions to her at the time. She did not recognize the Kimono, or even know what it was. She passed away February 1 of this year.

 

I still keep that treasured Kimono. 

 

It helps me remember the young lady, so energetic, so joyful, so well grounded in the truth, who loved Jehovah so very very much that she was determined to live by his standards, even if that meant putting up with me for over 62 years, how she was before the memory failure problems set in.

 

I am thankful that Jehovah allowed her to enjoy the privileges of attending the International Conventions when we were younger, and had the energy to do that. 

 

Jehovah also allowed her the privilege of working with me in "temporary Bethel service" several times, for a week at a time. When she was a child Sister Swingle was a pioneer in Pensacola, before she married Brother Swingle. Sister Swingle studied with my wife and her mother. When Sister Swingle married Brother Swingle, she continued to keep in touch with my wife, encouraging her to apply for Bethel. When my wife graduated High School with a degree in Cosmetology in 1960, Sister Swingle told her to apply to Bethel and work in the Beauty Salon. She applied for Bethel. At that time, one had to be a pioneer for at least two years before they could come to Bethel. Just having graduated from High School, my wife did not have the required two years of pioneer service. Her application was not approved. Many years later, starting in 1989, she was privileged to go with me several times when I went to Bethel for "Temporary Bethel Service" with the legal department.

 

It was rather interesting how somtimes things turn out differently than expected. When local brothers and sisters heard we were to go to Bethel for temporary work, they asked me: "What will you do?" I replied: "I will be working with the legal department." They said: "How wonderful! That is great!" Then they would ask "What is Patricia (my wife) going to do?" I said: "She will be working in the laundry." They would say: "Oh, that's nice." as they turned away to talk to someone else.

 

If one knows anything about Bethel, they know that one does not go to Bethel without doing some work. When foreign missionaries, branch servants, etc., have to come to Bethel for some reason, they also are assigned work. If they do not have a skill specifically needed when they come, they are assigned to work in the laundry.

 

So, when we got there, they put me in a room with a stack of files, and closed the door.

 

Meanwhile, my wife was in the laundry, folding clothes, and talking with ones whose life stories had been in The Watchtower, listening to their experiences.

 

Now  -  you tell me who had the better trip to Bethel.

 

Thanks,

 

Jim

  • Care 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation with your brothers and sisters!


You can post now, and then we will take you to the membership application. If you are already a member, sign in now to post with your existing account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)