JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Smithsonian Mag Free Museum Day

Joey

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/museumday/

It's the Yearly free museum day from Smithsonian Magazine coming up...you don't need a subscription...you can check for the locations Nationwide.. US and PR included and some place off Africa :shrugs: ... for my area includes it's The Natural History Museum.:ecstatic: which is next door to the Cleveland Art Museum (which is free for everybody anyway)...or the Carnegie Museum Pittsburg depending on which direction we want to go....last year we went to the Football Hall of Fame...a drag...except I saw the bronze bust of a guy I met in service....lol....don't really like football...

You have to print the coupon and it's buy one get one free. I forgot to tell the date... Sept.29th

• 3 weeks later...

We have similar good idea hear with Free National Heritage days September 6-9th and a week in February as Free Museums week. We use it as a chance to acquaint new brothers and sisters joining the congregation with our local area and, if they like, we can accompany them there, so we can show them round ourselves.

We took some of the Chinese students studying and attending the Carlisle Chinese group around one of our local Mines that is now a Museum. My husband's late father worked at this old mine on the enormous old Beaver Dorling Steam Engines that worked the winding gear that lowered and raised the 'man-cage' and coal trucks from the mine-shaft. It still works by air-compression, which is less noisy (his Father was deaf because of it) and the students and my husband could have a go starting it up and pressing the warning bells. They loved it and the retired miner's acting as volunteer guides were intrigued as to how far the students had travelled to get to UK from all over China.

A brother and his family originally from Nigeria, then Trinadad, has just moved here, (He's training to be a doctor at our hospital) so we encouraged them to visit our town's maritime museum in free week.