JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

iPad apps for personal study

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3873 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Dear brothers and sisters,

I am using an IPad for two weeks now and still learning.

I downloaded goodreader and equipd which I enjoy using very much. Yesterday, two pioneers ate at our house and showed me that you can use ibooks to read publications in epub format. You have the scriptures right there. And you can high lite in various colors, make notes and underline. The only thing is, you can underline only in one color: Red. I like to underline in different colors: Red, green, blue, yellow and purple.

So my question is: am I overlooking the option to change colors? And: is there another epub reader that I can use instead that has all the options?

Love to hear from you.

Gr. János Molnár

Holland

Hello, I use I books to study mt watchtower and the Jeremiah book. When you hold down to hi-light a sentence or word it give should give you the option of several colors, red underline, and a note pad for side notes. I just tested it to see if I was doing anything unusual and it the options always popped up after stopped hi-lighting. I hope this helps.

I use "Mantano Reader" for that reason. I like to use lots of colors to study and I found that one the easiest for me to use.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

• 7 months later...

It can read both, but I like the epub for the links to scriptures etc. I don't have an ipad, I have an Asus TF Prime 200.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I have an iPad retina and I use iSilo for all my weekly study for meetings. I find its highlighting less intuitive than the highlighting in iBooks, and the pictures in iBooks will enlarge easily.  I also have some literature downloaded in other languages, such as Somali which is widely spoken in my area, on iBooks.   I use JW-Bible for the ease of navigation through the reference Bible, and the fact that it can display in other languages if they are cached first.

I have just downloaded Notability for use at the DC and first impressions are very positive.

I also have Equipped but haven't used it very much as yet.

Hope this helps.

I have been using html formatted files on my phone for many years. It all started as a project to convert the nwt and other bibles for my wife to use on her symbian phone as she has difficulty turning pages, long before there was epubs and pdfs of our nwt. I chose html as it could be used on almost any device. Over the years I incorporated many of our publications into personal study and converted dozens of them. I still use them and do all my tms prep using html, I scan the km and make my own fully linked study copy too.

One fascinating study project I have been working on is the New Testament based on Newcome's new translation. It is a translation often quoted in our publications icw John 1:1. and is probably one of the few english translations that include Jehovah's name twice in thetext and twice in the footnotes. I am doing an html and 'The Word' format, so one day I hope to share that with everyone. I have been working on this for nearly two years so don't hold your breath:-) only have half of Luke to go though. It includes footnotes and scripture references.

• 4 weeks later...