JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

As American as Apple Pie---Apple Pie Moonshine that is!

It is cold here tonight and so I pulled out the ol' Apple Pie Moonshine and served it for our customers. It was a huge hit! This is great ice cold but I liked it better served warm.

To make this unforgetable drink here is what you do:

Take 1 gallon on Apple Cider and 32 can of Apple Juice. Pour into a large pot and add 3 cups of brown sugar and 1 cup of white sugar. Add 6-10 cinnamon sticks. Bring to a rolling boil then turn down to a simmer and continue to cook for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely. Add a bottle of EverClear 190 grain proof once the mistue has cooled completely. Stir in 1.7 liter bottle of the EverClear.

Pour into pint or quart mason jars and add one of the cinammon sticks to the jar. Seal tightly and place the jars in the frigerator for 2 weeks. (This is the hard part--the wait) Then give a jar to your friends and tell them to enjoy this AT HOME. Build a fire in the fireplace and prepare for a special treat. You will NOT taste the alcohol--it is so smooth and velvety. I took bacon strips and laid them in a baking pan side by side and baked them at 375 degrees for 25 minutes then poured off the fat and sprinkled on brown sugar and returned to the oven for another 5 minutes. Remove and while still warm and pliabl roll them into pinwheels and serve (pair with) the Apple Pie Moonshine. I gave a quart jar to our WT conductor and his wife and I believe he calls on me to comment more often now!:blushing::yes::eek:

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I am looking forward to trying this one. I live in VA there is no ever clear. I am on a mission to find something close. If not I will have to wait until April when we go to NC.

It sounds wonderful and would be great in this cold weather. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Hi. Our distributor told me it is banned in 14 states due to the high alcohol content--it is almost 97% pure grain alcohol. It is legal in VA but the state laws say NO to sell it because it is colorless and tasteless (??? crazy reason) but they due sell it in 151 proof. It is popular for moonshine recipes because it adapts to anything without bringing its own flavor. You can make it with the 151 proof pure grain Everclear but with less alcohol content. I would think that woud be equally or probably better since the content is lower. Caution: you do not want to drink this and say "Well I don't think there is any alcohol in here. I can't taste anything". Then go ahead and drink it like water. Boom. My sister and I --which are not big likers of alcohol unless it is sweet and tastes like candy--had this when we were at home the other night after we made it. She took her first sip and siad--did we put enough in there. I don't taste anything." I replied "Hummm, maybe the bottle was "flat" or gone bad" I did not notice the bottle of Everclear having alot of bubbles when I dropped it on the kitchen floor and it rolled out of my reach. I wondered at that time why because I have dropped plastic bottles of vodka and gin and they bubble up. Now since I have studied I found out that this is how makers of moonshine check the bead. They shake it up and if it bubble alot (foamy) and the bubbles last a little while it has less alcohol content. The less bubbles and the faster they dissipatate the stronger the content. I did not know this at the time, unfortunately. It was so good that we poured us a large glass over ice (think ice tea glass here) and we sat down and began to talk about the days events. A little while later when we noticed our glasses were empty I said, "I think I'll get a little more. It is so good. I think your right. It was a bad bottle" I stood up--or attempted to stand and I could not do it. My legs were like jelly. Margie goes "What's wrong? Did your foot go to sleep again?" I guess I began to smile a goofy smile and she started to get up and could not do it either. We sat there for awhile rethinking our recipe and decided that the bottle must have been okay after all and we should not take it back to the liquor store and ask for our money back. Hind sight is 20-20 as they say. I would not recommend a serving size of more than 4 -5 ozs--a standard size cocktail drink. Better yet the shot size (2 oz) with whip cream on top makes a dandy size warm me up drink on a cold night.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!