JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Encouraging lesson

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4017 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

"The only survivor of a shipwreck was washed up on a small, uninhabited island. He prayed feverishly for Jehovah to rescue him, and everyday he scanned the horizon for help, but none seemed forthcoming. Exhausted, he eventually managed to build a little hut out of driftwood to protect himself from the elements and to store his few possessions.

One day, after scavenging for food, he arrived home to find his little hut in flames with smoke rolling up to the sky.. The worst had happened! Everything was lost! He was stunned with disbelief, grief, and anger. "Jehovah, how could you do this to me?" he cried..

Early the next day he was awakened by the sound of a ship that was approaching the island. It had come to rescue him. "How did you know I was here?" asked the weary man of his rescuers.

"We saw your smoke signal," they replied.

Moral of the story: It's easy to get discouraged when things are going bad, but we shouldn't lose heart, because Jehovah is at work in our lives, even in the midst of pain, and suffering.. Remember that, the next time your little hut seems to be burning to the ground. It just may be a smoke signal that summons the grace of Jehovah. You May Want To Share This, Because You Never Know Who Feels Like Their Hut Is On Fire Today.

Remember that, the next time your little hut seems to be burning to the ground. It just may be a smoke signal that summons the grace of Jehovah.

I liked this a lot David.

“Every cloud has a silver lining.”

Jehovah's promises to make the way out, one way or another. In the meantime, trials can be used to whiten and refine us. So we should look to use them in this way by focusing on the good that can come out of it once it has passed.

- Bob

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Thanks Bob :) Very good point. It's kind of like the saying, "whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger". It's true that if you can focus on what good can come of trials, if any, it can help to increase your endurance. But it can be hard to see that when it feels like the walls are burning down around you...but just knowing the door is close by can help...

• 3 years later...

"The only survivor of a shipwreck was washed up on a small, uninhabited island. He prayed feverishly for Jehovah to rescue him, and everyday he scanned the horizon for help, but none seemed forthcoming. Exhausted, he eventually managed to build a little hut out of driftwood to protect himself from the elements and to store his few possessions. One day, after scavenging for food, he arrived home to find his little hut in flames with smoke rolling up to the sky.. The worst had happened! Everything was lost! He was stunned with disbelief, grief, and anger. "Jehovah, how could you do this to me?" he cried.. Early the next day he was awakened by the sound of a ship that was approaching the island. It had come to rescue him. "How did you know I was here?" asked the weary man of his rescuers. "We saw your smoke signal," they replied. Moral of the story: It's easy to get discouraged when things are going bad, but we shouldn't lose heart, because Jehovah is at work in our lives, even in the midst of pain, and suffering.. Remember that, the next time your little hut seems to be burning to the ground. It just may be a smoke signal that summons the grace of Jehovah. You May Want To Share This, Because You Never Know Who Feels Like Their Hut Is On Fire Today.

I found this illustration on the forum from 2009 and since so many of our huts seem to be on fire, I wanted to "Resurrect the Thread." Thanks to Musicfan 26 for the original post. (Bob, this is your cue for that amazing Batman and Robin thingy.)