JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Monkey's Viewpoint

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4010 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The Monkey's Viewpoint

Three monkeys sat in a coconut tree,

Discussing things as they're said to be.

Said one to the others: "Now listen you two,

There's a certain rumour that can't be true.

That man descends from our noble race,

The very idea is a disgrace.

No monkey ever deserted his wife,

Starved her babies and ruined her life.

You've never known a mother monk

To leave her babies with others to bunk,

Or pass them on from one to another

'Til they scarcely know who is their mother.

Another thing you'll never see

Is a monk build a fence 'round a coconut tree,

And let the coconuts go to waste,

Forbidding all other monks a taste.

Why, if I'd put a fence around a tree,

Starvation would force you to steal from me.

Here's another thing a monk won't do

Go out at night and get on a stew.

Or use a gun or club or knife,

To take some other monkey's life.

Yes man descended, the ornery cuss,

But brother, he didn't descend from us."

Author Unknown

post-3004-0-65144000-1368010153.png

I have looked for this for 20 years! I saw this engraved in a sculpture where a monkey was sitting with his chin in his hand in deep thought! I wanted the sculpture badly but it was $1000.00 back then. I was not a witness at the time but knew I loved that message!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

The Thinker is a famous statue. They had it in the front of my high school.

post-556-0-72841000-1368053319_thumb.jpg

post-556-0-94541600-1368053129_thumb.jpg

Edited by GrumpysWife

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Vernalee! You are a doll! Can you tell me where you found that statue? The one I found many years ago was a large bronze one in a specialty shop on Ventura Blvd in Sherman Oaks CA. It was about 3.5 to 4 ft tall and was like the photo you posted! I remember 'The Thinker ' from the old Dobie Gillis series. Nice memories if watching tv with my cousins as very small kids..,

LeslieDean

He is doing better, thank you.  Maybe coming home this afternoon or tomorrow.  Refuses to go to "nursing home for thirty days when I have two nurses at home!"  Now is says he will not do the other knee, shoulder or back.  I have tried to encourage him by saying he just feels that way now but in a few weeks when he is doing better he will be anxious to have the other knee done.  His reply?  "I have never known you to be such a liar"  LOL--My sister said when her ex-husband had his knee replacement and she would make him do his PT exercises he looked her in the eye one day and said "I don't know why all your patients don't hate you"  I am sure that is pain speaking.  We all say alot of things we don't mean when we are in pain--whether it be physical, emotiona;, or spiritual!

Thanks for asking!

BTW, I looked at the prices of some of those statues and have found them for less than 100.00.  They are table top sizes where the one I saw was a lawn or a gallery size model.  That makes me happy!

LeslieDean

Go for it Leslie. Tell your husband you bought it as a get well gift.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.