JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Back from vacation

We are back from our trip to Reptileland, Hershey Park, and the Smithsonian Museum of Natural HIstory in DC. I was not impressed with the crowds, the attitudes, rudeness, etc. Can't wait for next month for Distric Convention. I can be in a crowd of 5,000 people and not feel hemmed in, and assaulted by the world. Just the peace that belongs to Jehovah, spiritual refreshment, upbuilding association! Just hope I can keep Zoe balanced this year. A couple years ago she had a HUGE meltdown and I spent 1/2 hr in the restroom keeping her from hurting herself or me (well trying) until she got control of herself again. She wasn't on medication then but she has added some extremely foul language to her repertiore when she is raging. One point of leverage....no pool time after that days meeting lol. Also, we sit on the floor level due to disabilities so its not as crowded seating, she has issues with proximity and people in her "space". I'm so looking forward to it tho!

Get more exercise....walk with Jehovah!

Glad you enjoyed vacation and you will enjoy the DC. I just got back from mine.

One thing we do here in my home is have wrapped gifts for the children every CA, SAD, and DC. It works out great. They know they have presents to open when it is over, and we tell them they must be good during the assembly or they will have to go into the closet until the next assembly.

Some unbelieving relatives will come over to watch, which is nice. See, we're not so boring after all :-)

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Thats a good idea. When my kids were little we had "family day" we would do something special and get gifts for each other. It was on the anniversary of the day when Leon adopted the kids (they were from my first marriage). But as they grew up and went into the world, we stopped doing it. We really haven't found anything to do for Zoe that way. I think we will try it! Thanks!

Get more exercise....walk with Jehovah!

I know of a few families who have small reunions with their unbelieving relatives in mid summer and exchange gifts at that time, so that it is far removed from the holidays. "Christmas in July" always comes to my mind when I think about it (not that I am implying anything - don't read too much into that).

My thinking behind doing the gifts on each assembly occasion was that these correspond to the 3 major festivals in ancient times, and are in effect, our 'holidays' along with the memorial. It was also an incentive to be good at the convention and with my oldest being 8, she must listen and take notes too (however little at this point though).

If unbelieving family want to be there or be involved, then they have to hear us buzzing with excitement about the days program, and add to that our smiling children and I hope at least it gives a good witness.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!