JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Ivan Panin - The Divine Hallmark

Years ago before I became a Witness I read "The Life work of Ivan Panin". Basically he reckons there is a mathematical numeric sequence that is divisible by seven which is the perfect complete number, thus having the divine stamp that it came from our Creator. Whatever he found convinced Panin turned from being an atheist / agnostic to a believer. He spent 50 years on this endeavor. Interestingly he used the Westcott and Hort manuscripts.

Wiki has this to say about him:

In 1890, Panin claimed to have discovered numerical patterns in the Hebrew text of the Psalms, and soon afterwards in the Greek text of the New Testament. In 1899 Panin sent a letter to the New York Sun challenging his audience to disprove his thesis that the numerical structure of scripture showed its divine origin.

If this is true then we could calculate whether the spurious verses belong in the bible or not.

Does it sound logical or scriptural that Jehovah would do something mysterious like this?  While we know Jehovah is the greatest mathematician ever (since he created mathematics), this in no way precludes or requires Jehovah to implant some mathematical formula, rhythm or hidden numeric code in the scriptures in order to prove or determine they are of divine origin.  The folly of Panin's reasoning begins with his assumption that the number 7 has more divine significance than the fact that Jehovah uses it in the scriptures to symbolize divinely  determined completeness, as to his purposes or to Satan's.

This would really delve into numerology. 

I agree Shawn. When I was in the world numerology held a fascination for me, but since I am so bad with math and formulas, I just did the regular things like Palmistry, reading cards, horoscopes, etc.. 

Now as to mathematics, we do know that Jehovah uses this as his tool. He used it greatly in creation. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ibc8sD5sgw