JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Pantothenic Acid- B5

I remember my mother in law using it but I can't remember why. Here's so info:

Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic acid) Overview

Vitamin B5, also called pantothenic acid, is one of 8 B vitamins. All B vitamins help the body convert food (carbohydrates) into fuel (glucose), which is used to produce energy. These B vitamins, often referred to as B complex vitamins, also help the body use fats and protein. B complex vitamins are needed for healthy skin, hair, eyes, and liver. They also help the nervous system function properly.

All B vitamins are water-soluble, meaning that the body does not store them.

In addition to playing a role in the breakdown of fats and carbohydrates for energy, vitamin B5 is critical to the manufacture of red blood cells, as well as sex and stress-related hormones produced in the adrenal glands, small glands that sit atop the kidneys. Vitamin B5 is also important in maintaining a healthy digestive tract, and it helps the body use other vitamins, particularly B2 or riboflavin. It is sometimes called the "anti-stress" vitamin, but there is no real evidence whether it helps the body withstand stress.

Your body needs pantothenic acid to synthesize cholesterol. A derivative of pantothenic acid called pantethine is being studied to see if it may help lower cholesterol levels in the body.

It is rare for anyone to be deficient in vitamin B5. Symptoms of a vitamin B5 deficiency may include fatigue, insomnia, depression, irritability, vomiting, stomach pains, burning feet, and upper respiratory infections.

High Cholesterol/High Triglycerides

Several small, double-blind studies suggest that pantethine may help reduce triglycerides, or fats, in the blood in people who have high cholesterol. In some of these studies, pantethine has also helped lower LDL (bad) cholesterol and raise HDL (good) cholesterol. In some open studies, pantethine seems to lower levels of cholesterol and triglycerides in people with diabetes. But not all studies have found that it works. Larger studies are needed to see whether pantethine has any real benefit.

Wound Healing

Studies, mostly in test tubes and animals but a few on people, suggest that vitamin B5 supplements may speed wound healing, especially following surgery. This may be particularly true if vitamin B5 is combined with vitamin C.

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Some early evidence suggests that pantothenic acid might help with symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis (RA), but the evidence is weak. One study found that people with RA may have lower levels of B5 in their blood than healthy people, and the lowest levels were associated with the most severe symptoms. A small study conducted in 1980 concluded that 2,000 mg/day of calcium pantothenate improved symptoms of RA, including morning stiffness and pain. More studies are needed to confirm these findings.

Source: Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic acid) | University of Maryland Medical Center http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/vitamin-b5-pantothenic-acid#ixzz2cqD92Hva 
University of Maryland Medical Center 
Follow us: @UMMC on Twitter | MedCenter on Facebook

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Thank-you for that. It was more comprehensive than the information I came up with. Arthritis, BP and cholesterol are issues in my family. My Aunt who is a near vegetarian and is a proponent of bulgur wheat has a cholesterol level of 400. Mine is around that, maybe more. But the good cholesterol is super high, however they put me on drugs for it and I got sooo very sick (for weeks) I went off them. Now doing B5 and garlic 2x's a day. But the main thing I think of is the arthritis, which is Osteo, and my fingers are starting to have swollen knuckles and real soreness, as well as my toes.

If anyone has info for arthritis I am open to any suggestions. I'm on pain meds for it but don't take it like I should, hate drugs.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

My cholesterol was high and the doctor put me on meds. I started eating raw oatmeal with yogurt and a few almonds every day for breakfast. It went down to normal and raised my good cholesterol so I went off them. He doesn't know I stopped and I get the script every month, but I haven't used them for about a year. Every time I ask if I can go off he says Oh no that's whats keeping it in check. Small matter, so I just don't tell him.

Try the Epsom Salt soak for the pain. Since I started them, I have pain only when I first stand up and then it goes away after I stretch out a  little. 

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

You might want to look at this for using Krill Oil for arthritis.  I use this oil...it is the best.  I'm 55 and am as limber as when I was 20, no joint stiffness or pain.  Use the one with the light blue label.  There is also a black label that has added PS for memory/brain...but not as much Krill Oil.  There is also a lot more info on this website....just put your keyword in the Search Box.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/01/31/everything-you-need-to-know-about-arthritis.aspx

"Be imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises." Hebrews 6:12